iPhone 6s died..

Associate
Yesterday evening my girlfriends iPhone 6s died and will not turn back on. The battery was at around 20% she put it on charge for a while then we she came back to take it off charge the screen was black and it would not turn on, not even to the apple logo. I tried a hard reset, tried to enter recovery mode connecting it to itunes but nothing seems to work. We have left it on charge overnight and its still the same this morning, does anyone have any idea what might of gone wrong as the phone is looked after and hasnt been dropped and has no damage etc. The phone is 14months old so 2 months out of warranty is it likely apple will offer any help towards the cost of repair ? Thanks

Soldato
Perhaps not :(

I think best bet is to go into the apple store and have the battery replaced - they've dropped the price to £25.

Edit: it sounds like a battery issue to me. Did you use a genuine apple charger and cable? Or a high quality branded one?

Caporegime

I think best bet is to go into the apple store and have the battery replaced - they've dropped the price to £25.

Edit: it sounds like a battery issue to me. Did you use a genuine apple charger and cable? Or a high quality branded one?

They haven’t dropped the price yet. They’re planning end of January currently.

Associate
OP

From looking online this morning it seems to be either battery or logic board thats gone. It has only ever been charged with a genuine apple plug and either apple or anker lightning cables.

They haven’t dropped the price yet. They’re planning end of January currently.

Typical I thought the price drop was effective from when the announced it, but maybe not :(

Associate
OP
I’m not sure Apple would replace the battery on a phone that won’t turn on at all. When it still doesn’t turn on they’ll be liable for the repair.
Just reading iphone's are now supposed to have a 2 year warranty as the phone its just over a year old will apple likely replace the phone if they likely wont replace the battery of a dead phone ?
Good point - would seem strange the logic board to go like that though

Perhaps go into a store and see what they say and go from there

Just Managed to get a genius bar appointment for tomorrow afternoon so will see what they have to say.

Commissario
I had an iPhone which did exactly the same as this and took it into an Apple store. The fix was straightforward, hold the power button down for quite a long time (we're talking for something like a minute) and it sprung back into life. I can't remember if they had power plugged into it at the same time. It then reported a totally flat battery and I had to get it on charge straight away.

It's worth a try if it saves you a trip.

Soldato
I had an iPhone which did exactly the same as this and took it into an Apple store. The fix was straightforward, hold the power button down for quite a long time (we're talking for something like a minute) and it sprung back into life. I can't remember if they had power plugged into it at the same time. It then reported a totally flat battery and I had to get it on charge straight away.

I was going to suggest that also. Mine did the same. Hard reset seems to fix it.

Associate
OP
iPhones only have a single year of warranty in the UK without Apple care unfortunately
I've just seen online that the apple warranty is a year but under consumer law there is a 2 year warranty on iPhones ?

I tried this last night for about 5 minutes but it didnt do anything unfortunately.

Soldato
I've just seen online that the apple warranty is a year but under consumer law there is a 2 year warranty on iPhones ?

I don't think so - you'd be hard pushed to argue that point in store. If that was the case, people wouldn't need Apple care :(

It's always worth bringing it up, but not in a "I know my rights" way :p

Edit: has a quick look, and you have to prove the issue was present at point of purchase.

Commissario
I tried this last night for about 5 minutes but it didnt do anything unfortunately.
It might have been both the power and the home button, I honestly can't remember but I thought I'd tried everything before I did a mad dash to an Apple store that was fifty miles away only for them to 'fix' it like that.
Try it with and without the power connected and just the power button, and the power and home buttons together. All combinations.

Soldato
iPhones only have a single year of warranty in the UK without Apple care unfortunately

While technically true on Apple's Limited Warranty, you have consumer law still.

However, if going through consumer law you have to go through to your point of purchase not Apple (unless bought from Apple directly).

------
Apple are responsible for the first 12 months under their warranty, after that it becomes a statutory right of repair under the Sale of Goods Act if bought before October 2015 and the Consumer Rights Act is bought after 1st October 2015.

Under statutory rights it is the retailer who is responsible for repairs if the goods can be proven to have an inherent fault, be of unsatisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose.

Soldato
While technically true on Apple's Limited Warranty, you have consumer law still.

However, if going through consumer law you have to go through to your point of purchase not Apple (unless bought from Apple directly).

------
Apple are responsible for the first 12 months under their warranty, after that it becomes a statutory right of repair under the Sale of Goods Act if bought before October 2015 and the Consumer Rights Act is bought after 1st October 2015.

Under statutory rights it is the retailer who is responsible for repairs if the goods can be proven to have an inherent fault, be of unsatisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose.

You also have to prove that the issue was present at the point of purchase - this is incredibly difficult to do. I've had plenty of people try and argue consumer law during my time at John Lewis, and the simple truth is unless you can show physical proof, you haven't got a leg to stand on.

EU ruling is 2 years, but UK consumer law is actually 6.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies it was bought through my work (retail company) as we get staff discount, but it sounds as though arguing under consumer law may be quite difficult to do and will likely end up paying apple for a repair tomorrow unless its a silly price.

Back
Top Bottom