iPhone 6s died..

Associate
This happened with an old iPhone of mine, I performed a hard reset:

Apple suggest that you, “should force restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a last resort, and only if it’s not responding.” Force Restart, Hard Reset, Force Reboot, all mean the same thing and you will see these phrases used interchangeably.

To force restart or hard reset your device, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Homebuttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds. After about ten seconds, you should see the Apple logo and can release the buttons.

Associate
OP
This happened with an old iPhone of mine, I performed a hard reset:

Apple suggest that you, “should force restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a last resort, and only if it’s not responding.” Force Restart, Hard Reset, Force Reboot, all mean the same thing and you will see these phrases used interchangeably.

To force restart or hard reset your device, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Homebuttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds. After about ten seconds, you should see the Apple logo and can release the buttons.

Tried this already, held the buttons for about 5 minutes and still nothing.

Soldato
You also have to prove that the issue was present at the point of purchase - this is incredibly difficult to do. I've had plenty of people try and argue consumer law during my time at John Lewis, and the simple truth is unless you can show physical proof, you haven't got a leg to stand on.

EU ruling is 2 years, but UK consumer law is actually 6.

That’s an INCREDIBLY disappointing attitude from a John Lewis partner. What is you slogan now? John Lewis, Never Knowingly Under Warranty? That’s the sort of misleading nonsense I would expect from the purple shirts on a retail park.

It really makes my blood boil.

This has been legally tested, and if there is no physical or water damage to a solid state electronic device, then on balance of probability (as good as proof), the defect must have present at the time of manufacture. And it’s not 2 years, it’s 2 years MINIMUM. On a consumer durable like a phone that would be expected to last 3-4 years, the warranty is 3-4 years. On a washing machine that would last 6 years, it’s 6 years.

If Apple or John Lewis argue the point then can I suggest taking it up with LPD Laborarories in Blackburn. They used to be the QA test Centre for Philips when they made CRT TVs in Blackburn and for about £100 they’ll open up your device and tell you that it failed because of X. If there is no physical damage to the device then the components in the device would have been expected to last a minimum of X years and the fault must have been present at the time of manufacture. Yes, it’s £100 but how much is a new iPhone? I used them when a £3000 OLED TV failed and the retailer concerned said it wasn’t covered by warranty. After a short battle through the magistrates court system, I got £2500 back for the TV (because I’d used it for 9 months), £175 postage and investigation fees, and £200 for my time pursuing the issue.

AppleCare is not a warranty extension, it’s an insurance policy against damage from any source. You can buy it if you like, but it is addition to you legal rights, not in place of them.

Associate
The phone is 14months old so 2 months out of warranty is it likely apple will offer any help towards the cost of repair ? Thanks

I'd still give Apple a shot, given all the bad press they've had lately over batteries and how reminiscent what you describe is of all the other battery issues surrounding the 6S I'd assume it's a flaw it shipped with.

Associate
OP
Tried Apple on sunday we had a genius bar appointment, They ran there tests etc which showed the phone to be completely dead effectively and as the phone would not turn on even when plugged in that its unlikely to be the battery as it would turn on with a dead battery and switch off when unplugged. They thought it was either a faulty logic board or a faulty lightning port. But given the phone had charge in it before it turned off it should still power on with a faulty lightning port, so would suggest its the logic board that has failed. As it was out of apple warranty they would not replace it and wanted to charge £299 for a replacement 6s. They did say however if we had bought the phone from apple then they would have replaced the phone for free under the EU consumer law and told us we should try this with where we bought the phone from. Pretty disappointed that a 14 month old phone that has always been looked after is now more use as a brick :mad:

Associate
Tried Apple on sunday we had a genius bar appointment, They ran there tests etc which showed the phone to be completely dead effectively and as the phone would not turn on even when plugged in that its unlikely to be the battery as it would turn on with a dead battery and switch off when unplugged. They thought it was either a faulty logic board or a faulty lightning port. But given the phone had charge in it before it turned off it should still power on with a faulty lightning port, so would suggest its the logic board that has failed. As it was out of apple warranty they would not replace it and wanted to charge £299 for a replacement 6s. They did say however if we had bought the phone from apple then they would have replaced the phone for free under the EU consumer law and told us we should try this with where we bought the phone from. Pretty disappointed that a 14 month old phone that has always been looked after is now more use as a brick :mad:

You think just to keep a customer happy and with the recent battery scandal they would just replace it for you especially coming out and saying if you had bought it from them that they would have.

Associate
You think just to keep a customer happy and with the recent battery scandal they would just replace it for you especially coming out and saying if you had bought it from them that they would have.

They have the ability to replace your iPhone under goodwill. There’s an option available to them. Seems they are becoming less and less bothered about customer service. 2 months out of warranty should have been replaced.

Where did you purchase it from?

Associate
OP
They have the ability to replace your iPhone under goodwill. There’s an option available to them. Seems they are becoming less and less bothered about customer service. 2 months out of warranty should have been replaced.

Where did you purchase it from?
Really I didn't think they could replace it if it was outside of there warranty, would it be worthwhile going to another apple store and try push for this or will they not now its already been to an apple store ? Or would i have any luck talking to apple on web chat or by phone and push for a goodwill replacement? It was bought from Freemans.

Last edited:
Suspended
They will know if it was bought direct from Apple or not.
JL offer the same 2 year warranty if bought from them.
Not worth repairing so either take it up with Freemans or bung it on ebay spares and repair.

Associate
can they not tell if you bought it elsewhere though ?
The serial number is linked to the purchase retailer on their system.

You should try another store and be nice, polite and they should go ahead and replace it.

I’ve had devices replaced 6 months out of warranty in the past.

Play on their heart strings how you cannot currently afford to upgrade.

Other issue is there’ll be notes left from your first visit tired to your serial number.

Associate
OP
The serial number is linked to the purchase retailer on their system.

You should try another store and be nice, polite and they should go ahead and replace it.

I’ve had devices replaced 6 months out of warranty in the past.

Play on their heart strings how you cannot currently afford to upgrade.

Other issue is there’ll be notes left from your first visit tired to your serial number.

will book another genius bar appointment at another store probably Manchester trafford centre hopefully they'll be more generous :D

Associate
OP
Got a Genius Bar appointment this aft, anyone got any tips on trying to push for a free repair/replacement ? Especially as we have already been to another Apple store who weren’t very helpful.

Commissario
Send your attractive girlfriend in, have her play innocent if they say it's been in already "oh, I didn't realise he'd already brought it in, isn't there anything you can do please?" *flutter eyelashes, flash cleavage etc* :D

More seriously, play nice, be polite, say that it's just out of warranty - If they ask where it came from, explain it's your girlfriends phone and you're not entirely sure but you think it was bought direct from Apple. Grovel a bit.

Back
Top Bottom