iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

And no doubt not helped by people with 94% battery health bringing their phones in for a battery replacement !! :D
Haha my iphone X is at 94% and I'm seriously considering getting it replaced before it jumps up to £65!

Soldato
I've go a 8 year old iPad 1. It had one OS update - which slowed it down a bit, but since then Apple's planned obsolescence algorithms have left it alone. It still runs at exactly the same speed, runs all the games you'd expect a modern tablet to run (although there's no longer the ability to download new apps) - and the battery still lasts all day.

I can't believe Apple get away with this nonsense about degradation and people are lapping it up hook line and sinker. It's a massive - and hugely profitable con.

Soldato
I can't believe Apple get away with this nonsense about degradation and people are lapping it up hook line and sinker. It's a massive - and hugely profitable con.

My iPhone 6 experience from last year disagrees. Under 45% on the battery it would randomly reboot when doing CPU intensive tasks , we now know with the power of hindsight due to power supply issues from the battery. Then they throttled it and that problem stopped. It just ran like molasses...

£79 later with a fresh battery it was back to full health. Apple were decent enough to refund the difference on the new £25 price back when it changed a couple weeks later.

It was a dumb thing to do, but it's not a con.

Soldato
Sorry, I don't understand?

I had it done off my own back, before they "got caught red handed". What were my other options on a 3 year old smartphone, other than getting the faulty battery replaced? A new phone wasn't an option.

Associate
I took my iPhone 6 in a few months ago as was getting service battery message and it could drain in 30 mins. It cost £25.

They managed to break camera replacing battery so got a refurb, was happy with that

Soldato
Wow. Everything aside, they know how to make money.

Was reading through this thread the other day, it's incredible all the different places that they've started to price gouge and screw people over by not including basic stuff in the box.

It's pretty gross really. I love their stuff, but they're starting to lose a lot of goodwill with me considering the high starting price for all of their products yet still cheaping out on various aspects.

Apple is now a dongle company

Man of Honour
Was reading through this thread the other day, it's incredible all the different places that they've started to price gouge and screw people over by not including basic stuff in the box.

It's pretty gross really. I love their stuff, but they're starting to lose a lot of goodwill with me considering the high starting price for all of their products yet still cheaping out on various aspects.

Apple is now a dongle company

Making the new pencil incompatible with the old one is a damn cheek. So when someone uogrades to a new ipad they had to buy a new pencil too.

The other thing I've noticed Apple doing is refusing to acknowledge a problem until after they have discontinued the phone. The latest example is the iphone X touchscreen failure. Only in the last few weeks, after it has been superceeded with the newer phone, have they cone out and agreed there is an issue.

Many will point to it and say they are doing right bybtheir customers in admiting an issue and offering a fix (presumably the fix is to repkace the screen with a other similar one which could fail again in the future). But it leave me thinking they tried to hide it until the new phone so they could save the cost of redesigning or sourcing a new screen.

Apple really dont care about thier customers anymore. They just care about their shareholders.

Soldato
My X is at 90% now.

Might bring it in to see if it has the touch screen issue, which I think it does.

I wonder if it can be reliably tested somehow to check. As it’s a very inconsistent problem.

Associate
My 7 is at 85% now and doesn’t last the day on a single charge. Getting the battery replaced on Wednesday so hope it will see me though another year.

Just checked my battery details and its saying its had 916 charges. Also down to 1700 capacity from 1950 so well due a change.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would have said hi if I had known! Was a very busy day .. as every day is at the moment - doing 70+ batteries a day isn’t much fun

My mum's 6 Plus has started crapping out before the battery is low. Only upgraded her to iOS12 a couple of weeks ago, having previously left her on iOS10 and skipping 11.

We're thinking about heading over to Solihull for the day one Sunday or Monday in the next few weeks. Should we try to book in? Or if we arrive in the morning, is it usually a safe bet that we can leave the phone there and come back same day if we potter around town?

Commissario
You're always better getting an appointment if you can because then you know it'll be done. However, I've had two phones done, each time without an appointment. The first one, I arrived late afternoon and was told it would be about three hours before they'd even see me and then another two hours after before I could take the phone. This took me dangerously close to the store closing time and in fact they originally told me I'd need to come back the next day to collect the phone. It was only when I explained in words of one syllable that I lived 65 miles away that they said the'd try and have it ready before closing time

The second one, we got in about half an hour after the store opened and were told that we'd get a text in about an hour saying they were ready to see us - It was bang on an hour and then we had to wait for another two hours for the work to be completed.

I got the impression (could be wrong) that they keep some appointment spare in case people turn up without one. It's risky though as they may just give you a straightforward 'nope'.

Soldato
Nice, okay, I'll see if we can pick a day and get a proper appointment as it's a bit of a trek for us too. If there's none available I guess we'll just try and get there first thing.
Might see if they can definitively tell me if the screen on my X has the touch issue too.

Back
Top Bottom