iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
I called up Support months ago asking for battery replacement. The guy ran some tests and said my battery is fine. I have 6s+ since launch and its still going strong to be fair.

I would get it done regardless by the end of the year, £25 is a no brainier. No need to call just book an appointment online.

Commissario
I called up Support months ago asking for battery replacement. The guy ran some tests and said my battery is fine. I have 6s+ since launch and its still going strong to be fair.
I would get it done regardless by the end of the year, £25 is a no brainier. No need to call just book an appointment online.
Absolute no brainer. Anyone who has an iPhone 6 or 7 and doesn't get a new battery this year needs their bump feeling! :)

Soldato
My iPhoneX battery health is down to 93% already according to the built in iOS Battery Health monitory. I think I bought it in November, so about 10 months old.

93.1% and a cycle count of 206 according to Coconutbattery

If it’s under warranty you can still demand a battery replacement and systematically they can’t charge for it.
Free replacement

Don
I don't believe they will replace it for free even if it's under 80%.

I had my 6S battery replaced for free because of an initial batch issue, otherwise it would have been the £25 charge.

Soldato
I don't believe they will replace it for free even if it's under 80%.

I had my 6S battery replaced for free because of an initial batch issue, otherwise it would have been the £25 charge.
System didn’t allow battery replacement unless it failed diagnostics or was under 80% capacity.
With the programme at the moment there’s a new “customer request” option allowing batteries to be allocated regardless of diagnostics
As an aside - if the phone is -in warranty- the system won’t allow a charge to be allocated thus the battery you’ve requested is free.
This will change after December 31st

Associate
Bit different here. My 6 has had 2 unexpected shutdowns since iOS 12 and has gone into performance management mode. But the battery health is still showing 100%. ??

Soldato
Battery health isn’t the only indication of a batteries performance. The battery can be heavily degraded and still show a high percentage depending on many factors.
Ex: not all batteries are equal - the factory spec might be 2000 but you get lucky and get a 2300 battery - that means percentage will stay at 100% for a lot longer even though the battery is degraded.

Do you know roughly how many cycles the battery has? Unfortunately any random shutdown will cause performance management even a software or other hardware shutdown.
Go to settings - privacy - analytics and check for any logs with “panic” in the title as this is a good indication of there being a hardware issue causing restarts (note: not always - panics can be software issues but 90% of the time not the case)

If you assume cycle count under ~350 and no panic logs then restore the phone and setup as new to rule out firmware issues.

Associate
Battery health isn’t the only indication of a batteries performance. The battery can be heavily degraded and still show a high percentage depending on many factors.
Ex: not all batteries are equal - the factory spec might be 2000 but you get lucky and get a 2300 battery - that means percentage will stay at 100% for a lot longer even though the battery is degraded.

Do you know roughly how many cycles the battery has? Unfortunately any random shutdown will cause performance management even a software or other hardware shutdown.
Go to settings - privacy - analytics and check for any logs with “panic” in the title as this is a good indication of there being a hardware issue causing restarts (note: not always - panics can be software issues but 90% of the time not the case)

If you assume cycle count under ~350 and no panic logs then restore the phone and setup as new to rule out firmware issues.

I’m pretty sure I did get lucky and have a higher than spec capacity battery. A few months ago a diagnostic on my pc showed that it still had a capacity of 2011mah. I’m not sure on the cycles but it’s a launch day 6 so 4 years old now. I’ll look into it more when I finish work. Got a bit of an inch for an upgrade anyway

Back
Top Bottom