iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
What does frustrate me about this is previously both me and my girlfriend have had a 6/6s which suffered slow downs with a poor battery. It was out of warranty and I made two genius appointments and almost begged them to replace the battery, at my cost. I asked them flat out to charge me the £79 or so and just swap it. I would have preferred to keep the full “Apple service history” as it were as the phones were spotless.

Refused. At different stores. They ran their diagnostics and concluded the battery was fine and to try a restore. Told them I’ve tried that but couldn’t get anywhere - even when I wanted to pay for the battery swap!

Took it to an iSmash or something or other store around the corner and they replaced it for significantly less and the phone was transformed so the battery obviously was degraded.

Given this confirmation now I can’t help but wonder if they avoid the repair on purpose to push people to a new handset... I’ve definitely lost quite a bit of faith in the brand as a result.

Soldato
Does it go faster again while plugged in?

Nope.

I had the battery replaced on my iPhone 6 last week.

Before. 100% charged and on USB power :
2017-12-14%2011.50.59.png

After :
2017-12-14%2021.15.07.png

This looks suspiciously like apple trying to con people into buying a new iPhone rather than just replacing the battery ;)

Pretty scandalous if you ask me.

Yeah, it was suggested I should upgrade to a new iPhone when I booked an appointment for battery service. He stopped pushing it when I said I didn't have a spare £700 ... and I'd rather repair my existing handset that was working fine until a couple months ago. £79 is a reasonable fee to get another couple of years out of it.

Soldato
The fact they are still slow when plugged in has me suspicious. If it really was for a legitimate battery based reason I can't see why as soon as it's plugged in you don't get the full speed back? Dodgy.

Soldato
Not sure. To my knowledge iDevices with a borked battery have always refused to boot. It would stand to reason there's no direct power connection between the lightning connector and the logic board like there would be with say a MacBook. So if the battery reports an error state you'll get nowhere with it. This "power smoothing" dates back to 10.2.1 which was about March this year IIRC so it's recent behaviour that in likelihood wasn't considered when they started designing iPhones power circuitry 10 years ago...

Soldato
I think Apple has confirmed that after 500 cycles the phone is down at 80%. Now it does make you wonder if the speed Apple achieves from their phones only applies to devices that are new/almost new, hence the forced slow down once the battery drops to 80% in order to prevent unexpected shut downs.

I have not come across this issue on Android phones either my old Xperia or my current S7. I will be keeping a close watch on my iPhone 7 though.

It's all very well for Apple to claim their customers get updates for longer than Android users (which is true) if those phones end up running like donkeys. It seems the press are having a field day with this, though and I for one think Apple have scored a massive own goal with this issue.

Soldato
Shocky-FM said:
Samsung have been working to slow down degradation of their battery life with great effect with the Galaxy S8, on the other hand Apple do this.

Nice contrast between the two companies there.

How do you know that? the phones arent old enough to judge the battery quality yet, and there's rumours all over the net that samsung are under charging the batteries to try and preserve the charge capacity. I dont know if that's much better tbh.

Soldato
Yeah, the device needs to be out for probably 18-24 months before there's a sensible amount of data on long term battery performance. Hence why most users are complaining about the 6 and 6S. Anyone proclaiming brand x model y is better and it's newer than that is just guessing.

Soldato
I notice that class actions have already started in the U.S. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42455285

Thing is reading between the lines Apple makes the iPhone run like a Ferrari, but with that comes the need for high octane fuel i.e. battery in optimum condition. When the battery starts to show signs of early wear the Ferrari then has to make do with ordinary unleaded fuel, hence it has to be slowed down or it could damage the engine.

Apple should have been more upfront with its customers, but it's not the Apple way.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I had known my iPhone 6+ needed a new battery to make it faster, I would have done that. But instead I bought a Galaxy S8 and sold it on eBay, the thing was painfully slow towards the end.

Soldato
I'm going to get the battery replaced for my iPhone 6 Plus.

I actually don't mind all that much that Apple do this, I'd just rather they were upfront about it, or gave us the option to run our phones at full factory clock speed at the expense of our batteries.

I've had this phone more than 3 years and the idea of spending big money on buying a new handset isn't exactly high on my list.

My battery holds decent charge to be fair, but these results are bleak:

haumeAel.png

For comparison, my girlfriend's iPhone 6 (non Plus) scores almost double.

Back
Top Bottom