iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Caporegime
OP
:p:D

I'd rather have a battery I can swap myself without a special toolkit and a computer engineering degree. You know, like old Nokia's had in the 90s and my work LG Android phone still has.

I don’t mind if Apple are doing it for £29, that’s barely more than a third party kit and you get OEM parts and warranty.

Soldato
None given yet, but the details are still incomplete and they said late January.

It's Christmas, so if Apple are like most companies head office will be on skeleton staff. Give it a couple of weeks...

Soldato
I notice the wording said “...whose battery needs to be replaced”. To me, that sounds like it still needs to meet the previous criteria but happy to wait and see what the official stance is.

Just ran Geekbench on my 6S - which itself was a replacement phone from the original recall - and got 2458/4443 which is above average, so I’m still a happy chap for a while. I’ll try and hold on until the 2018 round of iPhones.

Soldato
I just also ran Geekbench @ 63% battery:
Single 1785
Multi 3097

It should get
Single 2400
Multi 4030

So I am being throttled by 25%, the phone doesn't feel slow yet but I was planning a DIY battery swap before all this blew up. I am getting about 20% less battery life than when it was new and I just got an apple watch so expecting it to be hit even harder in the future. I have also had random shutdowns when it was cold on the last version of iOS, I wouldn't be surprised if people in colder climates get that a lot with an older phone.

Soldato
I just also ran Geekbench @ 63% battery:
Single 1785
Multi 3097

It should get
Single 2400
Multi 4030

So I am being throttled by 25%, the phone doesn't feel slow yet but I was planning a DIY battery swap before all this blew up. I am getting about 20% less battery life than when it was new and I just got an apple watch so expecting it to be hit even harder in the future. I have also had random shutdowns when it was cold on the last version of iOS, I wouldn't be surprised if people in colder climates get that a lot with an older phone.
I thought the same about getting the Watch but I’ve not noticed any increase in battery usage. Whatever they are doing the power management for the Watch communications is excellent.

Soldato
The throttling appears to be governed by the wear percentage and cycles on the battery than the reported capacity % on the status bar. That data isn't available to end users, although utilities like Coconut battery for OS X can access it when the device is plugged in to a Mac.

Soldato
The throttling appears to be governed by the wear percentage and cycles on the battery than the reported capacity % on the status bar. That data isn't available to end users, although utilities like Coconut battery for OS X can access it when the device is plugged in to a Mac.
Most people will be able to estimate the cycles if like me they charge the phone everyday.

Associate
This type of behaviour will get interesting as constant fast charging murders the batteries in the 8 and X.

I personally feel that some of the older 6/6s batteries could be defective. Having read many posts, there’s no pattern. Some throttle at 85% others are getting above average performance with the same percentage or more. As Apple stated, there are a number of factors at play before the throttling starts.

Here’s hoping that the batteries in the 8/X are better or not defective.

Soldato
I think Apple's dropped the ball in a few ways here. Firstly the lack of communication about reduced performance, less than convincing subsequent communication about why they did it and now the pricing adjustment on replacement batteries. I think that they should have done more, and offered to replace degraded batteries at zero cost. Apple's brand is significantly supported by their post-sales service, and this feels like a bodged fix that's being grudgingly rolled out.

When you're someone that's pretty much fully bought into their entire ecosystem, through iOS and MacOS and a number of devices on both, the damage to that trust is quite significant and definitely makes you question the value of the premium price paid for their products.

Soldato
The new statement from Apple says it is going to run a replacement battery service worldwide reducing it from $79 to $29. It uses the term "iPhone 6 and later". Does this mean iPhone 6 and newer models or iPhone 6 and older models? The term later is unclear and could be I interpreted either way. I.e. Would it include iPhone 5.

Soldato
This type of behaviour will get interesting as constant fast charging murders the batteries in the 8 and X.

I've never liked fast charging; it wrecked some friend's Android devices after a year as well.
I just plug it in every 2-2.5 days at night and let it do the normal jobbie.

Outside of my One Plus One, I've never had a phone with a degraded battery randomly turn off yet.

Soldato
I've never liked fast charging; it wrecked some friend's Android devices after a year as well.
I just plug it in every 2-2.5 days at night and let it do the normal jobbie.

Outside of my One Plus One, I've never had a phone with a degraded battery randomly turn off yet.
I have been using fast charging on my S7 every day for the last 18 months and battery health is still excellent.

Last edited:
Associate
I personally feel that some of the older 6/6s batteries could be defective. Having read many posts, there’s no pattern. Some throttle at 85% others are getting above average performance with the same percentage or more. As Apple stated, there are a number of factors at play before the throttling starts.

Here’s hoping that the batteries in the 8/X are better or not defective.

I thought this was always the case, bought a 6S for a relative's birthday and she mentioned it would occasionally die, one time she was unable to get it to power on at all which was almost certainly the issue that led Apple to offer free replacements for certain batches.

Doesn't it seem odd to anyone that iphone batteries are wearing out so fast? It's not happening with other phones to the same degree.

Back
Top Bottom