iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Caporegime
I'm going to get the battery replaced for my iPhone 6 Plus.

I actually don't mind all that much that Apple do this, I'd just rather they were upfront about it, or gave us the option to run our phones at full factory clock speed at the expense of our batteries.

I've had this phone more than 3 years and the idea of spending big money on buying a new handset isn't exactly high on my list.

My battery holds decent charge to be fair, but these results are bleak:

haumeAel.png

For comparison, my girlfriend's iPhone 6 (non Plus) scores almost double.

A couple of months ago I smashed my screen and got a replacement from insurance, must have a new battery.

Enlg7bC.jpg

This is my iPhone 6 score (Not a 6 Plus). I don't have any old Geekbench score to compare with before and after.

dhrKAAU.jpg

Man of Honour
What are Apple doing if an Li-ion battery has degraded that much in 3 years to warrant that kind of approach?

Associate
Well I’m getting 2550 / 4490 on a 2 year old iPhone SE on 70% battery that has been heavily used and charged daily which seems to be a reasonable score.

Strange that the scores are so varied across the entire range of iPhones & iPads.

Man of Honour
A question for those who are about to replace your battery soon. If this news hadn't been confirmed then would you be considering a new phone instead of just a new battery?

Soldato
A question for those who are about to replace your battery soon. If this news hadn't been confirmed then would you be considering a new phone instead of just a new battery?

One of my friends was about to get a new phone in the Boxing day/Jan sales due to the 6S he has being very slow, we changed the battery today and he's over the moon, as his phone 'works properly' again and he only spent £20, not £700.

Soldato

I've been having issues since the last major iOS release and I'd pretty much resided myself to the fact I'd need to buy another phone. iPhone X was high on my list, but the price is eye watering, so then it came down to Pixel 2 or OnePlus 5T. But overall I really, really didn't want to buy another phone. I like the 6 Plus, and it was an expensive piece of kit when I bought it.

With the news that the battery gives me my old phone back, I'm actually really chuffed. I'm pretty sure it will work, just gotta hope it does.

Pretty much the same results as I was getting. It'll double with a new battery fitted, and you'll be back to a couple days on a charge...

This whole news piece is brilliant in my opinion, it's a cheap way of getting our performance back.

A couple of months ago I smashed my screen and got a replacement from insurance, must have a new battery.
Enlg7bC.jpg

This is my iPhone 6 score (Not a 6 Plus). I don't have any old Geekbench score to compare with before and after.
dhrKAAU.jpg

I think I can get another 2 years now out of my iPhone 6, which is great :D

Smashing my phone turned out to be a blessing in disguise !

Those are the scores my partners phone is getting, which is odd as we've both had our phones a similar time and have, pretty much, the exact charging routine.

Here's hoping for another couple of years out of mine, too!

Soldato
in theory this is ok.. in practice its forced my hand on upgrading phones twice as the phones have become unusable.

I have a mbp, ipad, iphone and kind of regret entering the apple ecosystem. would leave if not for imessage/facetime which my entire family uses. my mac purchases have changed from ordering the best i can to the chapest i can and then supplementing it when needed with windows.

iphone x price is ridiculous. similar to mbp now with all loss of functionality (headphone jacks, usbs, dedicated gpus unless ur paying out of ur butt... )

Soldato
Just to update and report, new battery installed a few hours ago from a dodgy looking shop in my local city, and ran a new Geekbench 4 score:

2Sgoqq9l.png

Happy boy! :) The thing feels super nippy, just hope the battery doesn't explode on me now.

Soldato
Just run Geekbench on my launch-day 6s:

1456 single-core score
2486 multi-core score

According to Geekbench comparison, I should be getting 2376/3994.

I've booked into the Southampton Apple Store on Saturday and will re-run the fun once the battery is replaced.

Associate
I saw this reply to the atrical on an Apple forum and had to LOL:

What annoys me about this and other things like it is that it sets the precedent that an uninformed public can develop an "outcry" over anything get a result out of Apple. Real shame. The public didn't deserve this level of compromise from Apple. Intelligent CPU management of a device powered by lithium-ion battery is expected and appropriate, and really no one's business besides the engineers.

Soldato
I’m getting a higher score on my 6S Plus than the Geekbench 4 comparison.

Your device (A9): 2522/4404
Apple iPhone 6S Plus: 2500/4030

How can that be?

Had my 6S Plus since release. Use it for work so gets heavy usage. Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones?

Caporegime
OP
I saw this reply to the atrical on an Apple forum and had to LOL:

What annoys me about this and other things like it is that it sets the precedent that an uninformed public can develop an "outcry" over anything get a result out of Apple. Real shame. The public didn't deserve this level of compromise from Apple. Intelligent CPU management of a device powered by lithium-ion battery is expected and appropriate, and really no one's business besides the engineers.

I think it’s awesome. Who knows maybe Apple will listen to its customers. Micro SD slot anyone?

It’s sad that people think it’s bad that a company can be forced to listen to its customers rather than just doing whatever the hell it wants.

Back
Top Bottom