iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
:D :D :D

Thanks and agreed.

It's all down to information provided to Geniuses as well. Until recently they weren't even allowed to replace a battery that passed that Diagnostic ( over 80% ), and they've recently changed that it seems.

Now a customer can get the battery replaced if they have concerns about performance of the device. Issue in many cases it's still likely to be a software issue; specially if the battery is around 90%.

Had a pal complaining his iPhone 7 was slow and affected; diagnostic showed 97% battery. Restored device, and it was back to being snappy. In that case if he insisted they'd have replaced a battery, he'd have the same issue still.

Just makes it a bit harder overall; but anyone with a iPhone 6/s can be affected if they bought it in the launch period. Two -Three years of battery usage and degrading after all.

One can hope Apple decides to invest in better batteries and battery tech for the next coming generations.

Only the iPhone has a 500 Cycle battery in their product line.

Caporegime
It's all down to information provided to Geniuses as well. Until recently they weren't even allowed to replace a battery that passed that Diagnostic ( over 80% ), and they've recently changed that it seems.

The 80% threshold is clearly incorrect based on when a phone will start to throttle. Had I taken his advice I would've wasted an 80 mile round trip and the best part of a day (given I would have had to go back).

In my mind, even if it was a software issue paying £25 there and then was a no brainer considering taking time off to go back and the petrol cost.

Soldato
The 80% threshold is clearly incorrect based on when a phone will start to throttle. Had I taken his advice I would've wasted an 80 mile round trip and the best part of a day (given I would have had to go back).

In my mind, even if it was a software issue paying £25 there and then was a no brainer considering taking time off to go back and the petrol cost.
I understand that, and with 80 miles it's understandable. Just for many it might not solve any issue and lose money.

Glad the price was lowered to £25 though; makes it much easier to consider the option. I wonder how many people in the future years will considering changing their battery instead of upgrading as well.

I know personally I'd rather pay £25-79 ever 3 years than pony up for a new phone. This might change some people's upgrade behaviour.

Caporegime
Yep i'm the same, my iPhone 6 does everything I need it to when it's performing as it should. I have no real interest to upgrade to the 7/8/X at this stage so £25 is an easy choice.

Soldato
I could do with a replacement screen on my 6S so it sounds like it’s worth getting the battery done at the same time. Does anyone know what Apple charge for a replacement screen on these? Tempted to take it to my local guy. I have no interest in getting an iPhone 8 or X at the moment.

I’d also be really interested if this speeds up my vibrate pattern back to normal speed. That was a recent weird iOS update quirk which I can’t seem to rectify.

Soldato
I could do with a replacement screen on my 6S so it sounds like it’s worth getting the battery done at the same time. Does anyone know what Apple charge for a replacement screen on these? Tempted to take it to my local guy. I have no interest in getting an iPhone 8 or X at the moment.

I’d also be really interested if this speeds up my vibrate pattern back to normal speed. That was a recent weird iOS update quirk which I can’t seem to rectify.
Here's their prices on the site.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/screen-damage

£156.44 without Apple Care

Soldato
Same here McBain. It was a no brainer even at £79.

Tom - Local guy can't get original parts. You might run into a rerun of the Error 53 problem where 3rd party knockoff screens bricked the phone after a software update.

Soldato
Here's their prices on the site.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/screen-damage

£156.44 without Apple Care

Thanks!

Same here McBain. It was a no brainer even at £79.

Tom - Local guy can't get original parts. You might run into a rerun of the Error 53 problem where 3rd party knockoff screens bricked the phone after a software update.

Will have a google and see what's best. At £156.44 and then the cost of the battery I'm almost into second hand phone territory!

Commissario
At £156.44 and then the cost of the battery I'm almost into second hand phone territory!
You are but the problem is that then you have no idea what's inside the phone. My daughter has had two replacement screens on her phone and if she sold it secondhand, the buyer would never know. You have absolutely no control over what you're getting on the second hand market.

Soldato
You are but the problem is that then you have no idea what's inside the phone. My daughter has had two replacement screens on her phone and if she sold it secondhand, the buyer would never know. You have absolutely no control over what you're getting on the second hand market.

Good point, could easily have been refurbished with cheap parts to sell quick on eBay. No need to rush into anything just yet, but I’ll definitely get the battery changed at the same time.

Associate
What is worrying if it is 80% my iPhone 8 is down to 92% already apparently. Only got it in November as well. Never used a fast charger on it either. Just normal and wireless

Associate
What is worrying if it is 80% my iPhone 8 is down to 92% already apparently. Only got it in November as well. Never used a fast charger on it either. Just normal and wireless

It depends how you are checking that but that does sound faulty.

Maybe it needs to be calibrated?

Commissario
I ran Geekbench over my daughter's phone - The results it returned are about average for an iPhone 6. She says the battery life is poor and "it's a bit slow" so I thought I'd plug it in to coconutBattery. The results surprised me.

It's 1,150 days old and it's got 1,349 charge cycles but the battery is still reporting nearly 83%

The Geekbench results indicate that it's not been throttled. She's going to see if Apple will replace the battery (they may not as it has a third party screen) but it'll be interesting to see if she notices any difference in performance.

kE6160A.png

Associate
Well i have done 2 updates to my phone one on 4th Jan & second on 10th. It looks like my score has gone up considerably compared to original one from December.
15f3yb4.png

Back
Top Bottom