iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Associate
Intelligent CPU management of a device powered by lithium-ion battery is expected and appropriate, and really no one's business besides the engineers.

Throttling CPU performance in half after less than a couple of years of use is not normal.

When you couple the throttling with OS updates which further compound performance issues then encourage your customers to upgrade to newer models it's easy to see why some people think it was incredibly underhanded.

The iPhone trades off its reputation for performance, reliability and a good user experience but this seems like a fail on all those points.

Associate
As far as we know at the moment.

One thing I'm confused by, the throttling is supposedly because the battery can't deliver enough voltage to keep the phone going (or words to that effect) but is this really accurate?

My understanding was lithium batteries just lose capacity over time not output voltage, or is it something that can happen with any phone around that age/design, is it something specific to Apple (who do generally use smaller batteries) or is it just spin?

Soldato
Throttling performance to keep your phone going for longer as the battery dies is a sound idea, Apple should have just been transparent about it.

Just including a simple option in the settings to disable this should you wish would have been fine for most folks and would have avoided all the issues.

It's the deceitful way this has been handled that has caused the uproar, quite rightly too.

Soldato
Took my phone into Apple today to get the battery replaced. It was a free because it was under one of their recall programs.

Anyway, they ballsed up the battery replacement and ended up giving me a brand new phone!

Ran Geekbench and it’s above the benchmark for both single and multi-core.

I’d love to know what my old phone would have scored with a new battery but I’m not going to turn down a new phone. :)

Soldato
I’m getting a higher score on my 6S Plus than the Geekbench 4 comparison.

Your device (A9): 2522/4404
Apple iPhone 6S Plus: 2500/4030

How can that be?

Had my 6S Plus since release. Use it for work so gets heavy usage. Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones?

I tested my mum's 6 Plus last week and had a similar result. She has quite light use, but the phone is 3 years old, so I was still quite surprised. It seems to be getting the same score or better than a brand new phone.

It had me thinking - are the Geekbench scores an average of all benchmarks run? And if that's the case, does that mean the average published score that we're all comparing against on their website now being lowered due to all these older under clocked phones running the test over the last couple of weeks?

She is still running 10.2.1, or whatever the last version of 10 was. I deleted the iOS11 upgrade download from her phone so she doesn't accidentally hit upgrade on the persistent notification. She still says it feels slower than when it was new, and laggy at time when typing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there just a battery tester available? I'll be getting mine replaced as its goosed but im intrigued to know how goosed it is...

Apple will be putting "some" diagnostic info into a future iOS release, so you may see that in a month or so. There are apps on the app store though that already read some of the data available (such as battery capacity etc).

Soldato
I would imagine the algorithm that apple have put in place looks at much more then just capacity though. I would think it takes into account things like voltage, current draw, capacity, cycles, age etc.

All these people that tick yes to the send apple statistics which I imagine is millions will all be feeding into this. They will have a shed load of data already.

What's concerning is there are reports of people being turned away who's phone is throttling but don't meet the magic 80% capacity benchmark. This leads me to believe its much more than just capacity and Apple need to align their repair policy to the software.

Caporegime
Caporegime
I'm booked in with Apple on Thursday to look at a battery replacement for my iPhone 6, bit concerned about the wording they've used around the price change.

• Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by £54 — from £79 to £25 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide until December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com/uk.

How do they determine whether it needs to be replaced? Looking at Coconut battery my battery capacity is at 86% but it's slow as a dog, latest Geekbench results show CPU running at around 50% performance :/

Seems it shouldn't be a problem. https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/02/appl...ces-are-eligible-for-29-battery-replacements/

Soldato
Do report back on Thursday.

Mine is showing at 80% in one of those apps but I have only lost 30% performance so far. That only adds to my theory that I posted a few posts up.

Caporegime
OP
I'm booked in with Apple on Thursday to look at a battery replacement for my iPhone 6, bit concerned about the wording they've used around the price change.

How do they determine whether it needs to be replaced? Looking at Coconut battery my battery capacity is at 86% but it's slow as a dog, latest Geekbench results show CPU running at around 50% performance :/

Seems it shouldn't be a problem. https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/02/appl...ces-are-eligible-for-29-battery-replacements/

I didn't think they were offering the reduced price until the end of Jan?

Back
Top Bottom