IPS monitor + TN monitor?

Soldato
Mine doesn't buzz at all.

Same here. If there is any buzzing I can't hear it on my review unit over the noise of my PC fans. I doubt there is a buzzing problem unless somebody hasn't connected the power connector properly. Usually a buzzing comes from the high-voltage inverters than CCFL backlit monitors have. The U2312HM has no such problems - it does have an internal power adaptor but they don't tend to buzz unless they are broken.

Associate
120Hz TN may be better for pro gamers, but most regular gamers will be happy with an IPS panel.

And as PCM2 says some colour transitions are quicker on an IPS vs the quickest TN. The last screen I had was a TN (not 120Hz) and if you ever had black and grey together, there were visible trails, I never get that on any of my IPS screens.

Also colours matter to gamers as well, no one wants the top quarter of their screen to be 30% darker than the middle, and the bottom third to start washing out, and that's what you get with TN. Not to mention constantly having to adjust the tilt every time you move your head.

As a whole package, taking everything into account, the IPS I have now is many times better than my last TN screen. I've played a ton of games (including fast FPS games) on IPS screens over the last 5 years and never had a problem gaming on them. I hated gaming on the TN, to the point where I had to keep my CRT.

Yeah, that's all fair enough, like it say, it's all about what's most important to you and what you're willing to compromise.
As a, I hate to use the phrase, but "hardcore gamer" there is a lot I'll sacrifise for speedy response and low input lag. These are the two most important things when it comes to gaming.
I agree though, your average Joe won't know any better, they won't notice or mind the flaws of an IPS panel.
I can't imagine a lot of average Joe gamers come to this site, but I may be wrong :D

Soldato
I can't imagine a lot of average Joe gamers come to this site, but I may be wrong :D

I would probably class myself (and most of my friends) in this group, we play games fairly often - mostly RPGs, but sometimes online FPSs (like L4D or Battlefield games) but also use our PCs mainly for other stuff like internet browsing and work (ranging from email/office apps to CAD, photoshop and video editing) where a large, high resolution, colour accurate monitor with wide viewing angles is a big plus. We all use either IPS or VA monitors and don't have any issues with them for the level of gaming we do(though I will admit my IPS is better for gaming than my dell VA).

That said, I think if I was to play a lot of online FPS games, then I would invest in a 120Hz TN, but for the time being my current S-IPS is doing fine (may have to revisit that assessment when BF3 is out proper :)).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the responses guys, I have just been reading through them. This still leaves me with quite a dilema because from what I understand it is more about personal choice. I get the understanding that a good all rounder is an IPS monitor.

If I go back to talking about the Dell U2312HM for now. Those of you that have or have had this monitor. What is it like for gaming? Is there trailing or anything like this?

Soldato
You put a 60hz ips panel next to a decent 120hz tn both playing an fps and tell me that the difference isn't immense.
The difference IS night and day. It's like putting a CRT next to regular 60hz monitor.

I've had both IPS and 120Hz and yes the difference is night and day, night and day in favour of the IPS and it's superior viewing angles, uniformity and better colours!! Most people I know, in fact no scrap that, ALL the people I know would much rather have a v-synced steady 60fps with all the eye candy turned up to the max on a decent IPS panel, rather than play on some washed out 120Hz TN monitor with all the LOD turned down just because you're on a quest for maximum framerates and some super twitch gaming!

Ask any average Joe off the street which they prefer and they'd go for the 120hz monitor every time

If you put any "average Joe" in front of my previous 120Hz monitor (Acer GD235HZ) and my current 27 inch Dell then I can guarantee you not one of them would go for the Acer, unless of course "average Joe" was indeed blind :p

Soldato
Most people I know, in fact no scrap that, ALL the people I know would much rather have a v-synced steady 60fps with all the eye candy turned up to the max on a decent IPS panel, rather than play on some washed out 120Hz TN monitor...

As I stressed in my earlier reply (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20204423&postcount=17) there are two distinct camps here. It doesn't matter how vehemently you stress your point and how many misleading generalisations you make regarding the colours produced by TN panel monitors (they always lack consistency but that does not mean they are always washed out) it doesn't make you right or wrong.

Associate
The fact that they'd have vsync turned on tells me all I need to know :D

As I said, it's all about compromise, what is most important to you. Put it this way, wildest, if you're a serious gamer, go for the lg, if not, get a decent IPS. As PCM keeps saying, there's no argument to be had here really, it's all personal preference and there's no right or wrong.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses again. I just wanted to know if anybody has tried gaming on a U2312HM, by gaming I really mean FPS. The only thing I am concerned about is the response time on an IPS.

Soldato
It depends on the FPS title you're playing. I tested Bad Company 2 on a U2312HM and found the action on foot pretty decent. You get a small amount of trailing but nothing major for the most part. When stafing or quickly turning around the textures certainly don't maintain the same degree of sharpness you'd see on a 120Hz monitor. If you up the pace of the action (get yourself on an ATV for example) then things can start to get a bit ugly. I found the BF3 beta (which doesn't officially support any vehicles) to be very playable too but with the same caveats as BC2. What I couldn't hack on that monitor was Gymkhana on Dirt 3. But that's another thing entirely.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It depends on the FPS title you're playing. I tested Bad Company 2 on a U2312HM and found the action on foot pretty decent. You get a small amount of trailing but nothing major for the most part. When stafing or quickly turning around the textures certainly don't maintain the same degree of sharpness you'd see on a 120Hz monitor. If you up the pace of the action (get yourself on an ATV for example) then things can start to get a bit ugly. I found the BF3 beta (which doesn't officially support any vehicles) to be very playable too but with the same caveats as BC2. What I couldn't hack on that monitor was Gymkhana on Dirt 3. But that's another thing entirely.

Thanks for that. That is extremely helpful. This is what lead me to the initial decision of getting one IPS and one 120Hz monitor. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks a lot though!

Soldato
No, I'd say it will give you the best of both words. Personally I'd just get a pair of IPS displays, but if you are really worried that they might not be quite what you after for gaming then one of each will certainly solve that for you.

I can say with absolute certainty that for general use though an IPS display will be much better.

Associate
I agree, for general use the IPS would be better. If you're gaming, 120hz all the way.
The difference between an IPS and a 120hz TN when gaming is massive.
The difference between an IPS and a 120hz TN when browsing and so on isn't that big, it's not worth sacrificing gaming performance for less banding and no gamma shift unless you do a lot of photoshop work or something like that.

My advice would be to get the lg, get it set up to your liking, sort the gamma out, spend a week or so with it, if you don't like it for general use, buy an IPS as your second monitor :D
I think it would be best for you to get one of each and then you can compare, see the strengths of each and you can always send one back.

Associate
Trust me mate, IPS for gaming is a no go.

Don't agree at all, I have had a 2209WA for two years, as recommended by CMNDR ANDI and I could not have been happier, except if it was bigger...

So I bought a U2711 and have not looked back, not hard core gamer but will never buy a TN panel again! My advice, try them out in real life and see what you think yourself :)

Associate
Just out of interest, have you had a 120hz TN?

The IPS panel I had which is pretty much the best one you can get for gaming was horrific. Awful double vision blurry mess playing stuff like serious sam and left 4 dead 2. I really wanted to get used to it because it had very low input lag, it was 24" 16:10, no gamma shift, but for gaming it was just atrocious.

I use one of my U2412M screens for gaming.
I still come top of the round frequently on BC2.
So much for input lag and ghosting affecting my FPS games...

I notice no difference in how the game plays to my old Samsung 24 inch VA screen, just the picture quality and colour depth of the IPS is amazing.

Associate
Nah, I think people who use IPS panels for gaming are just kidding themselves. They've jumped on this relatively new panel technology without considering it's flaws and they're just carrying on regardless, convincing themselves that it's adequate.
I'm more than willing to believe that your average Joe would sit in front of one and not know any differen but people who are obviously into gaming, who build and overclock their own pc's? Nah, I don't buy it :D
I stand by my opinion, IPS for gaming is a big no no.
I urge you to take my advice, wildest_jjk, though I wouldn't be offended if you didn't as I'm in the minority here :D

Soldato
I think Clippa's earlier advice of buying both and sending back under DSR if you aren't satisfied is the best course of action. You would ideally have both side-by-side or use both at roughly the same time so you could really 'feel' the differences for yourself and make your own mind up. This thread isn't going to get anywhere as opinion is understandably divided. ;)

Back
Top Bottom