IPS monitor + TN monitor?

Associate
I've had both IPS and 120Hz and yes the difference is night and day, night and day in favour of the IPS and it's superior viewing angles, uniformity and better colours!! Most people I know, in fact no scrap that, ALL the people I know would much rather have a v-synced steady 60fps with all the eye candy turned up to the max on a decent IPS panel, rather than play on some washed out 120Hz TN monitor with all the LOD turned down just because you're on a quest for maximum framerates and some super twitch gaming!

If you put any "average Joe" in front of my previous 120Hz monitor (Acer GD235HZ) and my current 27 inch Dell then I can guarantee you not one of them would go for the Acer, unless of course "average Joe" was indeed blind :p

Would have to agree with clippa that the fact you have ysync on says it all. :p Iv had the Asus vg236h and currentlly using a 3007wfp-hc and playing with vsync enabled on 60hz screens on fps games just fills so wrong. Mouse movments doesnt fill as responsive and turning around seems slower. Id rather play with it off while geting 100fps even if theres more tearing which doesnt really bother me. But a 120hz monitor would mean no tearing up to 120fps with vsync off and you being able to spot stuff more while moving around a lot. So anyone currently playing on 60hz screen with vsync off would benefit from a 120hz screen

Im concidering geting the LG for fps games because i move around a lot while killing enermys and because i find smaller monitors better for close combat fights
I only brought this dell because it was 30inch 2560 x 1600 which i got for under £500 and has very low input lag. But if it came down to 24 inch ips vs a 23-24 inch 120hz monitor then it would be 120hz all the way because performance wins over image quality if your playing to win

But id always prefer my dell for single player games or non serious online gaming :)

Soldato
Would have to agree with clippa that the fact you have ysync on says it all. :p
But id always prefer my dell for single player games or non serious online gaming :)

A bit contradictory no? As I'm obviously not a "serious l33t gamer" I feel that my Dell does me just fine, I only play with vsync on because I can't abide screen tearing. Like I said previously I've tried a 120Hz screen but was extremely disapointed with it and there's simply no comparison when you put it up against the Dell :p

Associate
I game on an IPS panel. Can't say I really notice the difference, maybe if I had them side by side to compare I would but it certainly doesn't make me suck.

Associate
That's certainly true, you adjust and make do with whatever you've got. You don't miss what you never had.
On the other hand, I remember when I "upgraded" my crt to a 60hz lcd :( but of course after half a year or so your brain and eyes adjust and it's the norm and you don't even think about it.
I played just as well on my 60hz monitor and had just as much fun. People keep saying "I'm not interested in having the edge online" and stuff, it's not about that. It's about having a more comfortable, clear, and smooth experience when gaming.
If you're more interested in a more comfortable, clear and smooth experience when browsing or editing photo's and stuff then IPS is for you.

Associate
I personally use 2 LG IPS231-BN panels and I use them for all sorts of things and I do play quite a few games and as yet I’ve not noticed any problems related to response time although I am by no means a professional so everyone has their own opinion. The one thing I do notice when I open paint in full screen with a black fill is the pretty bad amount of backlight bleed all around the edge especially in the corner however I don’t notice it in normal use.

Caporegime
Having used a IPS and tn side by side I had no trouble picking IPS, now I have 2, for the small part a tn 120hz would be beneficial (fast games) compared to IPS benefits (everything else) it was a no brainer.. Especially at the 27+ size which I use

If fps games are the most important thing maybe (maybe) 120hz would be better overall . But if you do get them side by side I bet you will have a hard time turning down the IPS beauty

Fyi.. I'm not a hard core gamer

Back
Top Bottom