iRacing

Associate
I have finally got my wheel and stand sorted and I will try this tonight, got any tips for a new player.

Don't expect to win :p.

On a serious note; Take it easy. Do some of the Mazda races, learn the track slowly in practice mode then hit some races. Give the game time and however good you are on any other racers, don't expect to pick this up and go off winning stuff straight away.

Soldato
Don't expect to win :p.

On a serious note; Take it easy. Do some of the Mazda races, learn the track slowly in practice mode then hit some races. Give the game time and however good you are on any other racers, don't expect to pick this up and go off winning stuff straight away.

I'm not expecting much, I'm just going to try keep out of other people's way and just get some clean laps for the first few days.

Associate
I'm not expecting much, I'm just going to try keep out of other people's way and just get some clean laps for the first few days.

That's the best approach I reckon mate. I haven't played in over 18 months due to the real world but would love to if I had the time.

I found that to get my best lap times (which were never that quick but they were on par with the rest of the field (e.g. 1.02min ish in the Mazda @ Limerock) I started off going slowly around (plenty of braking, lots of wide corners, lots of slow accelerating) and gradually pushed everything forward (braking harder, tightening up corners, fast on the gas etc).

Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
Just got my D licence and bought the Mustang, might get skippy too haven't decided. No tracks bought so will see. Then had a quick street stock race and started first for the first time around charlotte.. Kept her out of the walls and won by 6 seconds! Well happy for my first victory!

Associate
We need an OCUK race night. MX5 and MP4 so all the new guys can get involved. I badly need a reason to get back into this. I know soons I do a few races Ill be hooked again. At the moment I just look at my wheel sat next to the desk and think "A sod it cant be arsed to set you up".

Soldato
We need an OCUK race night. MX5 and MP4 so all the new guys can get involved. I badly need a reason to get back into this. I know soons I do a few races Ill be hooked again. At the moment I just look at my wheel sat next to the desk and think "A sod it cant be arsed to set you up".

Give it a week and I'll be up for that, I just hope I don't get lapped too much :D

Associate

You need a 2 monitor set up! This was the main reason I got mine. So nice just changing the primary display, scooting over 3 foot and I'm ready to go.

The only reason I haven't got 3 monitors is because I would have to keep moving it.

Just got my D licence and bought the Mustang, might get skippy too haven't decided. No tracks bought so will see. Then had a quick street stock race and started first for the first time around charlotte.. Kept her out of the walls and won by 6 seconds! Well happy for my first victory!

I'd recommend the skippy now. It is so nice to drive. If you were to trawl back through this thread you would see how much I hated that car when I was stuck on D-class. Since NTMv5 the car is so manageable and predictable. I jumped on a race today after 1 lap in the car I knew I'd be competitive and safe. Had a really good race too, 12 to 4th. This used to be a SR killer now its the complete opposite.

I have got my first race in 10 minutes, Mx5 at Summit Point Raceway, wish me luck... I'll need it.

Good luck buddy hope it went well!

Soldato
As you say it's all just practice, both in the car but also in being able to relax and drive consistently in a race, for me at least there's a noticeable increase in pressure that affects my driving.

A couple of things I try to do and seem to help, both in terms of racecraft and also just learning how the car handles beyond the limit and getting used to that:

Using the wrong line, when practising a track try entering and running through a corner on the inside/outside, as if you were either outbraking someone up the inside or hanging on around the outside. This helps in a couple of ways, you get used to where the braking point is for the wrong line, but also you will make mistakes and going beyond the limit you may save it and learn something from it.

Drifting, odd I know but in an offline practice with a new car I'll often just try sliding it around, it's not quick, and you'll spin a lot, but it gets you used to the car sliding around, that way if you make a slight mistake it won't cause an off-track/contact because you'll be able to correct/save it and keep it on track.

But ultimately just laps, laps and more laps :p for me I know that in a new car in the first 12 week season I won't be at my best, I might get to be able to do lap times but my consistency will be terrible, it's only during the second and even third seasons that I get truly comfortable in the car. Then I stop driving it for a bit, they change the physics and all that knowledge is lost :p

Soldato
2nd race went brilliantly, enjoyed every minute bar a few scary moments when somebody span in front of me. Starting 10th out of 10 I didn't push too hard in the few corners and tried to survive, I made two good passes into turn 1 after 4 laps moving me up to 8th. Then I stayed on the track for the rest of the race, bar a very debatable "corner cut". The same couldn't be said for me competitors and I ended up finishing 3rd after everybody seemed to fall of the track.

Associate
2nd race went brilliantly, enjoyed every minute bar a few scary moments when somebody span in front of me. Starting 10th out of 10 I didn't push too hard in the few corners and tried to survive, I made two good passes into turn 1 after 4 laps moving me up to 8th. Then I stayed on the track for the rest of the race, bar a very debatable "corner cut". The same couldn't be said for me competitors and I ended up finishing 3rd after everybody seemed to fall of the track.

Nice one!

Finish a race and you'll finish well at the rookie stage. Tbh that is pretty consistent with any stage!

Though with the NTMv5 I suspect people will be falling off less and less.

In my past experience in the Spec Ford and Skippy you just had to survive. Now they are a 1000% better and you get a lot more finishers.

Permabanned
Hi I have a question about one aspect of this game.

The cars that are more skittish to drive, eg the lotus 49...are these meant to be taken seriously? What I'm saying is, I don't think I will ever be able to control the lotus 49 no matter how good I get at the game. Are some people able to race the lotus 49 and get good times without losing control?

I was wondering if the cars such as lotus 49 are more like novelty inclusions rather than inclusions to be taken seriously. Though they are extremely well modelled and the driving model I am sure is extremely true to life.

I was thinking perhaps its the wheel I'm using is holding me back, its a steelseries simraceway sr1 "air wheel" which you hold aloft and has at most 360 degrees of steering lock. I unforunately am not able to use a desk mounted wheel with my desk. I have no issues with the wheel in other games like race 07.

Thanks

Associate
The more skittish cars are 100% taken serious and driven to a very high level. IMO the lotus 49 should be at least Class B. Your wheel could be very well be holding you back. Due to know force feedback.

I Love driving the Lotus 79 its nuts to drive. But if I get in the zone can drive it lap after lap hitting lap times within half a second of each other.

The harder cars also imo require a user specfic setup. I cant for the life of me drive other peoples Lotus 79 setups. I cant make a single lap on them. So it could be you need a setup that suits you also. That and seat time.

Confidence is a major thing to being consitant in the harder cars. For me that comes from a good setup.

Associate
The more skittish cars are 100% taken serious and driven to a very high level. IMO the lotus 49 should be at least Class B. Your wheel could be very well be holding you back. Due to know force feedback.

I Love driving the Lotus 79 its nuts to drive. But if I get in the zone can drive it lap after lap hitting lap times within half a second of each other.

The harder cars also imo require a user specfic setup. I cant for the life of me drive other peoples Lotus 79 setups. I cant make a single lap on them. So it could be you need a setup that suits you also. That and seat time.

Confidence is a major thing to being consitant in the harder cars. For me that comes from a good setup.

Try mine see what you think set and replay here

https://sites.google.com/site/ayupfromdik/files/For Murray.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Soldato
I have just had the worst race I have experienced by far, I get that new players will be slow and make mistakes but it doesn't excuse **** poor racing. I got hit off the track twice, which I ended up getting 16x for some reason but also lapped cars kept holding the leaders up and taking them out numerous times. I have the replay, which I might upload as it actually quite funny watching it now but was ridiculously annoying at the time.

Back
Top Bottom