iRacing

Associate
Soooo, thread revival time :p, how was everyone's weekend racing?

Back in the Radical after a week off last weekend, was interesting at Interlagos, uber slippery and also a track I've not properly raced at before (did a few laps when it was released in the McLaren), but got there in the end and had some good races.

No wins :( but 2 second places isn't too bad, should've won one but managed to spin 5 times (one 'helped') so 2nd is pretty damn good after that. Gonna race this evening a few times as well to finish off the week, then Spa next week where my PC is going to suffer again, really should buy an upgrade :p

I was in the Radical at the weekend, too. I had to use 25degree wing for my race setup, I can gain more time in the twisty section with that rather than using 17 - far too slippery until I get to know the car better! Did 2 races, started 15th and 11th and finished 6th and 4th respectively so I was pleased with that :D no spins either which is a bonus.

Soldato
No it doesn't excuse it, some people are just retards, others may 'simply' not use F3 and not know you're a lap ahead.

Either way if you know it's informational only you can approach it a bit differently, if they don't jump out of your way then assess the situation, if you're miles ahead of the guy behind then pressure the guy (most will crack easily enough) and/or setup a strong overtake rather than just chucking your nose in and expecting them to let you go.

On the other hand if you're in a close battle then you take the risks and hope for the best.

Also worth noting that if you're a couple of seconds a lap faster than the other guy then not only should it be fairly easy to pass safely, but also you need to account (whether he's being an idiot and racing you or not) for the fact that you can run lines and speeds that he possibly can't safely, so try not to put them in a dodgy situation as they're more likely to hit you trying to stay close to on-line than being able to take the corner way off line.

I'm very cautious anyway but it does help to know that they don't "have" to get out the way. It seems everybody falls off the race track at some point so I don't take any risks and don't push it to the limit each lap and then I usually finish well. But I still only have the one win so far :( should have won another race but span off with two laps to go. I don't really get on with Lime Rock Park I don't feel competitive, and looking forward to the change of track.

It's the last week for the Mx5 Cup at Laguna Seca, starting tomorrow, and I have really enjoyed my first season in IRacing so far. I think going to give the Mx5 cup another season after this one ends but after that I'm probably going to go either Skip Barber or the series with the Kia and Cadliac.

Soldato
The McLaren is far easier to drive than the Cadillac, the Skippy, the V8 and the Lotus 49 which all require the same or lower licence than the McLaren.

I probably will give it a go then but looking at the tracks it going to cost me about £70 to compete in the series, Iracing isn't cheap :( On a positive note I'm 8th overall for UK & I in the Mx5 cup, but I have a serious amount of incident points :eek:

Soldato
I was in the Radical at the weekend, too. I had to use 25degree wing for my race setup, I can gain more time in the twisty section with that rather than using 17 - far too slippery until I get to know the car better! Did 2 races, started 15th and 11th and finished 6th and 4th respectively so I was pleased with that :D no spins either which is a bonus.

Ah, we may well have been in the same races at some point then, I'm Joshua Harley, hopefully I didn't do anything bad around you as at least one race was far from my best driving :p

I was using the 17 wing set Tom posted on the forums, fast but as you say a bit tricky

I'm very cautious anyway but it does help to know that they don't "have" to get out the way. It seems everybody falls off the race track at some point so I don't take any risks and don't push it to the limit each lap and then I usually finish well. But I still only have the one win so far :( should have won another race but span off with two laps to go. I don't really get on with Lime Rock Park I don't feel competitive, and looking forward to the change of track.

It's the last week for the Mx5 Cup at Laguna Seca, starting tomorrow, and I have really enjoyed my first season in IRacing so far. I think going to give the Mx5 cup another season after this one ends but after that I'm probably going to go either Skip Barber or the series with the Kia and Cadliac.

I'm the other way around, don't get on well with Laguna Seca, but love LRP, at least in the lower end cars like the Solstice and Skippy (not really driven the MX5 much, Solstice was the rookie car way back when)

The McLaren is far easier to drive than the Cadillac, the Skippy, the V8 and the Lotus 49 which all require the same or lower licence than the McLaren.

But the skippy wins on awesomeness :p I've heard it's much much better now with NTM5 as well, not driven it in a while, kinda miss the crazyness of the original tyre model, was completely unrealistic but getting it completely sideways into/around T1 of Summit Point for 20 laps or whatever it was was always a laugh :D

Man of Honour
I think the McLaren is the best car in the sim that I've driven. I do like the Corvette, but I'm not good enough to drive it in races yet.

The biggest problem for most people is time. I don't have enough tine to dedicate to iRacing as it is, so I end up sticking with the McLaren more often than not.

Soldato
Yeah, I've tried most cars but only really a handful, and mostly from 'old' builds, that I can truly say I've got up to racing speed/ability with.

Only done a small amount in the McLaren and it seemed fairly benign/understeery, not as bad as the Kia/Jetta, but as someone that likes the car sliding around it just wasn't amazingly good fun.

The skippy on the other hand, whilst yes it was crazy in olden times that was tamed a lot with the NTM and was still a good fun car to drive that you could get sliding around etc.

Have you tried the Radical, that's a lovely car, again it slides around but like the skippy it's all in how you drive it.

Corvette is good, love the sound, and it's a nice position between the 'slidey' Radical/Skippy etc and what I deem to be the more boring cars :p Main downside seems to be it always seemed to me to be a point and squirt type car, get to corner, brake in a straight line, almost coast round the corner and accelerate when almost straight again. I like to trail brake and then have to balance the throttle on the exit...

Associate
#

I agree with you amount of times I've come up on back markers and about to put the overtake on them only for them to move off the line and now into my path. Nearly causing a huge accident.

Imo you should hold your line and make the faster car come past you. Do not hold him up unless the faster car has caught you in a set of chicanes or something. Even then just hold your line wait till the straight and let the driver through the faster guy will know to pull off the line and go round you.

If at this point your getting close to a breaking zone. Brake a little early So when you apex you dont apex into the side of the leader. Or Coast in giving the leader time to break move onto the line and take the bend.

Some of the things I see backmarkers do , well its just nuts.

Main thing be PREDICTABLE. If the person coming past you is that good. He will have developed a race craft and a 6th sense to danger. Just hold your line the guy overtaking can do all the hard work.
Above everything do not try and race someone a lap ahead of you. Its disrespectful and very very annoying to the guy trying to race his race.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was an intense race, did the Radical race where the Finns show up and school the rest of the world on how to race, and somehow ended up in the top split :o

My iRating = ~3250, race SOF = 4212, ranked 17th out of 21, started 16th, finished 11th, I'll take that :p Such close racing as well, don't think there was a single lap where there wasn't someone either sub-1s ahead or sub-1s behind. And to top it off, best points of the week and an iRating gain even though I finished 11th, win \o/

Associate
Just got back into iRacing and I'm going to try and compete in the Radicals from now on.

I can mostly only race on Wednesday and Thursday, I'm noticing the SOF is usually fairly low so far, does it tend to be a bit lower because it's so early in the week or is it just coincidence? When do all the fast lads race?

Soldato
I think it always tends to be lower earlier in the week, most of the fast guys tend to want to practice/setup a lot before racing, picks up a bit at the weekend but the standout race this season because of the Finns joining it is Monday 19:45 GMT, as said top split yesterday was over 4k sof, and think there were 3 full splits (~60 drivers) in the end...

Soldato
Only race for me today as I'm too annoyed to do other... I get rear ended going into the first corner at Laguna Seca, 4xs ?? Then somebody goes wide at the corner before the corkscrew and spins back onto the track straight in front of me another 4xs????? I'm still a relative newcomer myself but some of the driving is just down right awful.

Associate
I've had a disaster week (well last week). I've been ran over so many times :( SR and iRating have taken a beating.

I'll be on the Radical, skippy, SFR and the fixed national oval this weekend Skill.

Soldato
I've had a disaster week (well last week). I've been ran over so many times :( SR and iRating have taken a beating.

I'll be on the Radical, skippy, SFR and the fixed national oval this weekend Skill.

So has mine :( I looked at the results from my race yesterday and their was a Class C driver with a safety rating of 1.35 :eek: How is he still allowed to race? Out of a grid of 11 yesterday there were 3 disqualified, the race was a mess.

Soldato
Not sure about my SR but that's way higher than I need it to be for the Radical anyway but my iRating went ok last week, did suffer a big (90 odd points) loss due to being taken out of one race but gained way more than that and went up around 150 ish overall so can't complain :p

Have you done any practice at Spa in the Radical yet Marshstyles, I've done a bit, feels fine but my best is 'only' 15.6, no idea how people are in the 13's and some claiming 12's, never gonna get that low but would be good to get into the 14's nicely, did take me most of the week at Interlagos to get quick though...

Back
Top Bottom