Ironman UK 2013 Training/Progress Thread

Ironman UK 2014 now sold out! God that happened fast! Gutted. :-(

The pre-reg came and went before I even got the message! (I was out of the country) :-( .Going to have to enter IMWales instead.

Ive pre-reg'ed for both outlaws.

Last edited:
Can't beleive it's sold out already, took a good six weeks last year! Might be worth trying to get a charity place with scope, £50 and you have to raise £1000 though. I'd imagine they might look to increase the amount of athletes as well so I'd look out for another batch of spaces being released.

Just checking in to say - this is a very inspirational thread and blog. I do harbour ideas of trying tri but an IM seems such a long way off! One marathon was bad enough!!

Just checking in to say - this is a very inspirational thread and blog. I do harbour ideas of trying tri but an IM seems such a long way off! One marathon was bad enough!!

My first triathlon was only 2 and a bit years ago. My aim was to one day do IM but I never expected to reach my goal so quickly. It is very addictive and not necessarily as far off as you might think.

I'd second that as well, as long as you really want it, and are prepared to make sacrifices and stick to your training plans then it'll all come together. If you've already got a marathon in you I'm sure you'd be more than capable.

Just realised I've been included in the pre-registration of Outlaw half I guess due to having done it this year, so I will be able to enter :)

Excellent, I'll see you there as well. Probably need to be quick tomorrow to sort your place as I reckon they will all go within hours.

As promised here are a few pics from my Ironman day (all on my own hosting so no worries about hotlinking)

I only had 1 pic out of the water and it was awful so not posting that, first one is at T1

1.jpg

Working hard up the hill...

3.jpg

Feeling suprisingly good at the start of the run

4.jpg

Last few metres...

6.jpg

Nearly there...

7.jpg

High Five...

8.jpg

Very nearly there...

9.jpg

Finished!!!!

10.jpg

Can't wait for next year now, going to work my socks off to batter my time!!

Well done DC!!! :)

I'll be signing up for IM Switzerland if my wallet arrives back home tomorrow, left it at a mates house in Scotland...

So, my new goal is to push to try and get a champ slot for the 25-29 age group. It'll be hard and I may well not achieve it but its a good way to push for a better time if nothing else.

I'll be signing up for IM Switzerland

Hope the weather is better than this year. Watched the highlights on Channel 4 and the heat looked terrible!!!

Think my legs are finally returning to working order. Up until the weekend every run I've done over the last few weeks has been really tough.

I decided to give our local Parkrun a go on Saturday and I got a new PB of 20:09, so close to the sub 20 but it is definitely in reach now. I wanted to take it easy as I had the 10 mile Jelly Tea race in Tynedale to do yesterday but I got carried away and the PB was a good result.

So yesterday I wasn't expecting much but I went and battered my 10 mile best finishing in 1:10:50 (7:02 per mile) on a fairly hilly course. I finished 7 minutes quicker than the last time I did this race.

Great North Run is in 2 weeks so I am now confident that I can get a new PB (currently 1:33:58) but if I can push all the way I might get close to the Sub 1:30, that would be awesome.

Is everyone getting back into training ok?

Niceone DC, those are some cracking run times. Really hoping to improve my running this year.

Back training pretty much fulltime again now and loving it. Concentrating on building up my running as its obviously my weakest discipline and it feels like its actually improving more than it did during IM training which is weird but probably due to the lower volume of biking and swimming.

That said I've recently bought a powermeter for the bike, so am now doing much more targeted stuff on the bike which is brilliant too, its awesome to use for pacing rides aswell.

Been enjoying the weather though and done a few OW swims, and some decent cycling. Got an oly distance race coming up on the 15th too so will be interesting to see how I go there. Also hoping to go a half marathon in October but am on holiday until the day before so not sure if its going to work. Going to a resort in greece with a 50m outdoor pool, mountainbiking, watersports etc. So should be able to get some decent training in there too.

Really enjoying my training at the moment but conscious to try not to overdo it. Planning to really focus on my running now until the beginning of next year. Then pick up the volume again of the other disciplines into the new year.

Also joined up to a local tri club who have coached swim sessions twice a week so will be joining in on those in the near future.

Good work both of you. I've been training for a standard distance triathlon I'm doing next weekend - Sun 8th. My swimming has been going GREAT until tonights session which was a little flat, lane was too busy and I wasn't swimming very well either, I don't really have many bum sessions but that probably was one.
Enjoying the new tri bike too, its clearly v-fast... I've been out in it only a handful of times though, had a bit of a cold this week so been keeping the miles down.
I was meant to be running in my local 10K on the weekend just gone but my head was full of cold so didn't run, hardly ran the week running up to it too so really I'm a little off form in the run dept! I hope to get a few more runs in before the weekends race which will probably be my last of the season.

I was all set to book Zurich, got to the final page, £600 please sir... couldn't bring myself to do it. Decided I'm going to focus on 70.3 in 2014, then in 2015 have a bash at full IM age group champ qualification :)

...the journey continues!!

Missed out on IMUK...but got a place on IMWales.

Outlaw 1/2, Outlaw full & IMwales next year. GET IN!

Nice work, playing around with the idea of doing IM wales as well as Bolton but still unsure at the moment. Can't wait for next year now, outlaw 1/2 was cracking this year.

Training has been going quite well here, been working on run technique and forefoot striking in particular, had some noticeable speed gains which is encouraging.

Cycling with power is also helping, Initially set my FTP at around 230, but I managed 248w for an hour last night. Want to get it up near 300w for next years racing ideally.

Swimming is much of a muchness at the moment, but I'm starting with my local tri club soon which will help.

Doing a oly distance race on Sunday, but the weather is looking grim. Rain and gales :(

Well the weather just about held off for my oly distance race. Slightly damp and windy but that's September for you.

Had some bad swim experiences recently where I've seeded myself in the middle of the pack and been climbed all over, especially at IMUK! Changed tack for this race and got myself right to the front. Went off full gas for the first 200m or so and had loads of space. Couple of faster guys got away but I was still swimming well. Got out of the water in 24 mins (previous best was 26, so chuffed with that).

Out on the bike for 2 laps of a fairly flat course, two foot down stops at crossroads too. Was pretty cold, but the legs felt in fairly good nick. Managed the 3rd fastest bike split out of 226 competitors as well :D

Ride link: http://www.strava.com/activities/82610421

Onto the run and it was a 6 lap undulating trail run, which was quite rutted and muddy in places so not the fastest. Not helped by me having to take a poo stop halfway through :( need to think about wearing tri separates too as the trisuit was a massive pain at this point. Got back on the run and felt good.

Finished in 2:25, a 6 minute improvement on my previous best so I was chuffed, and 26th out of 226 people as well.

Things to think about, are continuing my run technique training as its really paying off, and improving my cycling more. Training with power is the single best cycling investment I've made. Already seeing the training benefit.

Thought I'd post my end of season 1 update, it finished on a high!

Entered the Leeds standard distance tri a few weeks back. The gun went off and I was a little bit stuck in the middle of the pack but still managed a 25min 1500m and ended up coming out of the water just behind the front bunch. Posted a very fast bike split and a 39min run over the 9.6K HILLY course..... and ended up winning the 18-24 age group :D, very pleased to get a podium of sorts! Came 18th overall too;

http://www.strava.com/activities/80948698

Some Photos;

fNAciEN.jpg
REpgChV.jpg
nFMXkLb.jpg
sS8cjDJ.jpg

Since then my training has reduced dramatically as I've spent two weeks in the North Sea on an oil rig and will be back out for another 2 week trip next week... :mad: BUT I should be able to take most of the winter easily work wise and train to a good level.

Last edited:
Nice one Pete, very good effort well done. Those sort of results aren't far off if I carry on improving my running I think.

Got a few pictures back from my previous end of season tri where I managed the third fastest bike split at 22.1mph :)

EL090637e_zps3806e445.jpg

EL091179e_zps48ecdc2f.jpg

Training with power has brought my riding on another level, and I can't wait to see how much I can improve through the winter. Provisionally set my FTP at 220w on first testing, and its now up to 266w at the last test. Part of that is a low first test but part of it is undoubtedly improvement.

power_zps28ef194f.png

Begun swim training with my local club which is cool, and nice to get some pointers rather than just improving fitness levels which I have been doing previously with no real technique work.

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Greece. Spent a lot of time on their mountain bikes, and racked up over 80 miles which seems good going considering how slow they are in comparison to roadies.

Had a couple of sensational rides for the scenery. Incredible to ride there in great weather and perfect terrain. Not my usual thing mountain biking but quality fun nonetheless. Some awesome climbing to be had to, and even picked up a couple of cat 3 KOMs while I was there as well :D

IMG_9121_zps39edfd87.jpg

Radio Mast Climb:
IMG_9164_zpscf3b9d96.jpg

From the top:
IMG_9153_zps22d6e6f3.jpg

IMG_9149_zpse00435bd.jpg

IMG_9148_zps992655cf.jpg

segment1_zps28f4ba66.png

segment2_zpsba1a80cb.png

Other rides:
IMG_9126_zpse7129d94.jpg

IMG_9122_zpse647080a.jpg

IMG_9173_zps8187c9ef.jpg

Swam most days as well, either in the 50m pool, or in the sea which was awesome. Crystal clear so no worries about sighting either. Great fun.

Managed my fair share of this too:
IMG_9178_zps46c6b6be.jpg

Run training has taken a bit of a back seat after this:
IMG_9146_zps743915f4.jpg

I had been transitioning nicely into forefoot striking, but a paddleboarding accident on holiday has torn all the muscles in my little toe which has been annoyingly painful for this week. So haven't done a run session for just over 10 days now. Will begin picking up the volume in the next few weeks though.

After having been on an active holiday I can really see the benefits a training holiday might have. Going to look into getting away early next year for a training camp. Potentially Lanzarote or something.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Holiday looks great Thomas! You'll have to send me some info about where it is and £££. I'm meant to be off out to Tenerife in November but family commitments mean I may not be able to go anymore.

Sounds like you are biking strong! I've got a powertap on the way, should be here Monday so I'll be looking for some gains too! Got a book on the way as a training with power guide but again, any tips would be welcomed.

Not had much motivation to run recently which is strange, I have a real love hate relationship with running, It's probably my favorite dicipline but I sometimes struggle to get out and do it... preferring to go to the pool instead.

Sounds like everyone is doing well and staying motivated!!

I've now got myself a trithlon coach who is going to be setting me a daily schedule starting at the end of January. I did ok this year but I work much better if there is someone giving me a kick up the backside. I have to rate each session and then he bases the next weeks sessions on my feedback. Should be interesting to see if it helps me improve.

I'm going to Mallorca in April for a week long training camp. The wife is also coming along and is planning on her first Sprint race in May. Pretty pleased to have persuaded her into this!!

In the mean time I have started my training for the Disney Goofy challenge (half marathon Saturday, full marathoin Sunday) in January. Not sure how much I am going to enjoy marathon training through November and December but it has to be done.

In the past month I finally got my sub 20 minute 5km. Finished the Newcastle Parkun in 19:53. I've been hovering around the 20 minute mark for the last couple of years so to finally get there is a great feeling. Unfortunately it put a bit of strain on my Achilles so I've had a few weeks off running. Seems ok now though so hoping to up the miles significantly over the coming weeks.

Howdy folks, looks like its that time of year again!

My training for this year began w/c 23rd of Dec, and I've had a pretty good week to be honest. I was more than aware that I had been training for far too long a time for last year (trained from May to Sept '12 for London tri, and then all the way through to August '13 for IMUK) so I took it fairly easy in the months following Ironman and my last tri of the season. I pretty much gave up running for 2 and half months, and just swam and cycled when I felt like it. Given cycling is my main passion though, I held on to a decent amount of fitness, and my power is only slightly down on where it was post Ironman :)

I've started using fink again 30 weeks out from IMUK, but I'll be training a bit smarter this time I hope. Slightly less swimming, less Z2 stuff, and more variety really, which will hopefully allow me to increase in speed.

This week I totalled 6hrs31mins training, with just 30mins swimming. My first couple of runs I felt like death, as I hadn't trained at all, but my last two runs including my longish Sunday one I already felt fitness returning and could hold a nice steady effort, quite amazing really after a long time off :)

This week will just be a continuation of last week with slightly more volume, which might get slightly more difficult given the introduction of a return to work during the week to add to things!

So looking forward to the 2014 season and all that it brings. Hope you guys are starting training again soon if you aren't already and I look forward to hearing about it!

DC, coach sounds great, is it expensive if you don't mind me asking? I'm also looking into spring holiday training options, although its a bit more complicated as a solo traveller!

Back
Top Bottom