Ironman UK 2013 Training/Progress Thread

Soldato
So I know there is now 4 of us doing IMUK in Bolton next year, its been suggested that a thread is started to keep a training log and share thoughts and ideas.

I'd also like this chance to share my own experiences so far in Triathlon, and the training I've done, and a log of my training in the future. :D

Please feel free to add your own thoughts and or training logs etc!

Hopefully this may help spark an interest in the sport, or even inspire people to join in!

Last edited:
My own Journey:

I began 2010 the same way I'd been for the entire amount of my life so far. Aged 22 I was in pretty bad shape, I was always concerned about body image, but didn't have the get up and go to really do anything about it. I went to the gym, but only really did weights, which made me looking even bigger than I was! I always palmed off cardio work, and chalked it up to having had an ACL reconstruction a few years earlier. I weighed 107kg (I'm 5'10").

30046_393312118971_513313971_3889296_5313328_n.jpg

In early 2010 something changed though and I realised I was really kidding myself, and I was badly out of shape, and pretty much obese. Rather than making a fuss to my friends about how I was going to diet and get slim, I decided to just get on with it. I realised the only way to attack this was to get my diet into a manageable but sustainable level, and then really go to town on the exercise to create a hell of a calorie deficit. This was helped by largely cutting out the drink. I ran most days, at the beginning I couldn't even manage a mile without stopping. Over the months I slowly built up my fitness and the weight was falling off, I was getting compliments everywhere and I felt amazing, and weighed only around 85kg by christmas 2010.

Up to this point, I'd gotten so much into my running that I was entering events. Cardiff 10k, in 2010 with a 55 minute time, then my local 10k in 49 minutes which was a personal highlight as my first sub 50 time. My next big goal was plymouth half marathon in May 2011. This came and went and I ran it in a 1:46.00 which I was pretty happy with.

Running in Plymouth
20x30-PLYM1369.jpg

At this point I was fairly happy with my body and fitness. So much so that I became a bit lazy throughout 2011, and I ended up going from being around 78kg at the time of the half marathon back up to 85kg by Christmas time, after a summer on holiday and on the booze punctuated with not a great deal of exercise.

This made me a bit unhappy as I realised what was happening. At the time I was cycling to work, which I was enjoying a lot. I then decided to invest in a road bike and got a lot more into my cycling when it turned 2012. It was then that the idea of a triathlon popped into my mind, as a friend had completed the London triathlon in 2011. By May 2012 I was embarking on my own training plan having entered the London 2012 triathlon myself. Halfway through this process, and having gotten thoroughly into triathlon (without having done one yet), but I was loving the training, I decided I was going to go for an Ironman in 2013.

My weeks consisted of roughly the below:

Code:
   Mon        Tue     Wed     Thu       Fri       Sat    Sun
24-Swim | 24-Run  | 32-Swim | 32-Run | 40-Swim | Off | 40-Run
48-Bike |         | 64-Bike | 80-Bike|         |     |

This carried on with a few tweaks in an increase by week of 10% for 3 weeks and then back - 40%, and then increase again.

By the end of the program the volumes were a higher, but I had drawn a line due to the amount of time, and due to really over training the Olympic distance unnecessarily. Coming upto the event itself I was weighing in around 77.5kg and was feeling really fit. My best 10k run at this point was around 46 minutes. I had a good amount of open water swim experience having joined my local lake during the summer, and during training had cycled a lot. 165miles in a day my biggest ride to date :D

During my training I also made the decision to enter Ironman UK 2013. More on that later in this thread.

My London Race Report:
Up at 5.30am with a large porridge and coffee. Packed all my stuff into the car and prepped my drinks for the race. Was worried about needing the toilet during the race, number two in particular as I seem to have a habit of needing this when I run :o. Although I felt pretty stable at that point.

A 45 minute busy drive later, with a few wrong turns and diversions we were at the Excel centre. I was now feeling the nerves. This became all the more apparent walking into the main hall after having collected my race chip. Wow! It was huge, people bikes and so much stuff everywhere. Everyone seemed to be doing something or going somewhere too. Quite overwhelming, but inspiring and nerve wracking at the same time. I wandered over to the racking area with all my gear, and tried to set up my first transition area. To be honest I didn’t really know what I was doing, and just guessed at where to lay everything out in some sort of order. Bike with number helmet and glasses led on top was a useful idea. Whipped my wetsuit on waist high with tri suit underneath and took my goggles. A quick toilet stop and first catch up with my parents later I attempted to hydrate, and have a toilet stop. Although the latter did little to settle me as nothing would come out! :o

Wetsuit on and over to the gathering area for the swim, this was when I was feeling the nerves a little more, but the excitement was also building now.

So many unknowns, what would the swim be like, would I be slow, would I bonk, would I get punched etc etc, so many questions. Our wave was segregated into two and we separately made our way to the water after the initial group. I was in the latter group. Down the stairs to the water, “jump in guys”, :eek:, ok. Felt great jumping into the water, and made my way into the middle of everybody else there. The first group were off, and our buzzer sounded shortly after. I was going! Swim stroke felt odd at first due to the volume and proximity of people, but I quickly settled into a rhythm and found some space. Sighting was easy as there were quite a few things to see. I seemed to be swimming nice and straight too. Good strokes occasionally punctuated with forced breaks having belted into someone, or vice versa. Nothing painful though as there seemed to be plenty of space either side of people. I felt good and felt like I was passing quite a few of the other swimmers which gave me confidence, although I was conscious of trying not to go too hard too soon. Mild muscle pain developed but I knew I could easily push through this, which cleared up quite quickly. This was followed by a mild stitch which wouldn’t go away so I tried to work on slowing my breathing and breathing fully, although this never really subsided.

First bouy came up and turned into a bit of a scrum, but I just pushed on. Checked the watch as I assumed this may represent the halfway point. 10 minutes. I wished! Turned onto the longest leg of the swim back up towards the excel. With no visual stimulation beside the occasional sighting and seemingly little in the way of sensory stimulation the swim gave me a lot of time to think about the race. I was finally doing what I’d trained so long for! I felt good and I considered what the bike would feel like. The weather was holding up well, despite being a little cold and grey but was dry and the water was relatively calm. I pushed on and tried to inject a little more pace as I felt confident. Round the last bouy through the scrum again, and towards the pontoon and the outstretched arms of the helpers. I kept sighting as I just couldn’t wait to get there! After a few breastroke kicks to wake the legs up I was hauled out of the water. Cap and goggles off, through the arch and the shower, I was jogging towards transition. 26 mins the watchface told me. A decent swim time! Wetsuit ripped off nice and quick and into the bag provided. Jogging towards transition again felt awful, up the flight of stairs into the excel felt even worse! Began to walk towards the bike which was a mistake.

2.jpg

The swim left me a little dizzy and disoriented breathing heavily with a nasty stitch. Began jogging to the bike again to which I struggled to find at first. Wetsuit down, feet on the towel, socks on, compression layer? Compression layer? Jacket? Compression layer is inside out! Turn it the right way round, I’m sweating, I’ll be ok without it! Number belt on, helmet and glasses on. And I begin to wheel the bike out. My bike shoes feel surprisingly ok to jog out in so I set a reasonable pace (SPD-SL shoes). Garmin is turned on by now but fails to get a signal inside. I jump on the bike past the mount line and am on my way, first to navigate the concrete ramps of the excel, and then finally out onto the open road. Legs feel great and I’m quickly powering towards Westminster. Body feels cold to begin with but quickly warms up. I am flying! Overtaking everybody I feel fantastic, amazing to be constantly sat on the aerobars and setting a good pace. The bike course is fantastic fun, especially through the downhill tunnel sections which are nice and warm. After the first turn I realise I am now going into a headwind, but it’s not too strong and does little to hamper my pace.

One big lap and one little lap later I’m wheeling into transition with a 1.02 bike time which I’m over the moon with. Very good pace. Bike onto the rack, helmet off, trainers slipped on number belt spun round, gel from the bike and I’m off on the run course. Initially don’t know which direction to take but eventually find a bloke to follow. He asks for the time which I give. 9.39. this means I’m on target for a sub 2.30 race? Go go I think to myself :D. Out onto the course for the first time I feel really good. The laps are fairly small though and very twisty, not a very fun course. Would have much preferred an out and back style loop. The crowd are great, and seeing my friends and my parents every lap is a real boost, and a definite plus of a lap course. 3 laps down I’m beginning to feel it, and my stitch which disappeared for the bike leg is back, and I seem to have a lot of gas in the stomach. The intestines start to move as well and I’m really worried about needing to relieve them! :o

6.jpg

Eventually the fourth lap comes, I keep telling myself that I’ll only get one chance at this and to make it count, it helps, as does the knowledge that this is my last time round this ruinous little course. My feet are burning at this point and I think of the finish line. On the way back to the excel I begin to inject some more pace, and go for it. Up the ramp into the excel and round towards the finish in a sprint now, round the last turn and up onto the finishing ramp. I’ve done it!!! That was hard! Is my first thought, as I grimace and stumble towards the guys handing out medals. My parents are there with open arms and the emotion overcomes me for a while. I finally finished, and all the training is finally come to an end, with a tangible and good result!! I compose myself and feel ok. All I can seem to tell people is that the race was hard! My dad directs me over to an icebath which I sign up to and jump in. so cold, eventually the pain numbs and I can feel the benefit. The guy running the stand is great and wants to chat all about my race and nutrition etc. he notes that I planned a very good race nutritionally, and it certainly worked well for me bar the stitch.

7.jpg

I eventually jump out of the ice bath, but I just cant warm up, I go off to collect my bike and stuff, but cant find my wetsuit. After a few laps of transition I give up and queue to make my way out, with all my layers applied in an attempt to warm up. After being told numerous times Ive got blue lips, I get a chilli jacket potato and cup of tea inside me. This fails, so I decide to get changed from my wet trisuit into dry clothes. This works wonders and I’m finally warmed up.

A fantastic race which I would do again if just for the bike course, although hectic with slower riders, it was amazing fun! The run definitely could do with improving though. Unlikely I’ll be able to attempt in 2013 though due to the Ironman. The sense of accomplishment slowly sinks in and I’m really happy with my time. Happier with a 2.31, safe in the knowledge I have plenty to work on to be able to go well sub 2.30 maybe even 20.

Last edited:
Fantastic to read your guys stories too, thanks for taking the time to post them!

Kiteloopy, if you enjoyed the chrissy wellington clip you should check out the whole videos, they are a great source of inspiration.

Just entered too! :eek: wasn't in the original plan, but after reading fink's be iron fit, an deciding to do the 30 week program it fits perfectly with the main IMUK goal. Can't wait now! :)

Just need to find a nearby oly distance race for mayish time now!

Last edited:
So, bit of an update from me about my winter training. I've decided to follow Don Fink's 30 week competitive plan next year for the Outlaw Half, and then IMUK. But the training plan won't start until the beginning of the year so I'm kind of following half of Fink's plan and half my own. I've completely got on board with the heart rate training aspect though, and am only training in Zone 2, which is actually really enjoyable. I figure building more base for next year can't hurt.

I've stepped up my running a lot too. Before London Tri this year my long run was only around 5-6 miles; I was also suffering achilles pain after 4 miles. I had a good 10 mile run yesterday, and felt good to finish, I've built it up slowly to there and with new trainers and slow build the achilles pain has now gone!

I thought I was going to struggle massively after the clocks changed as this would mean no after work cycling, and no running my favourite trails. I've adapted to running in street lit areas in the week which is fine, and then my long run on a Saturday morning which I can do anywhere. My cycling (Which was easily my strongest discipline this year (1:02 bike split at london oly)) has suffered with the clock change and weather though. I'm only using the turbo during the week, but then am struggling to get out at the weekend. I would be out today, but its absolutely bucketing it down :(

Swimming is going pretty well, and is just staying consistent with last year really. I've also been consciously monitoring my weight to drop a bit and am now down to 76.5kg, and lowest body fat I've ever been in my grown life :D.

Training plan looks like this at the moment, I really can't wait to have some good weather and get a good session on the bike in.

plan.jpg

Also, does anyone here use ice baths? I am now a massive convert, I used to get a fair few aches and pains the same day after my long runs. 10 mins in a bath run on full cold, and absolutely no aches or pains at all, not even the next day!

How's everyone else getting on?

Oh dear Kingy, doesn't sound great!

My training started in earnest last week, I have been getting quite a bit of volume in before xmas, mostly just base endurance miles (around 10 hours a week ish) following my own program. Have now started the Don Fink 30 week competitive program for IMUK.

Feels strange at the moment only doing 6 hours per week! Other than that I feel really strong thanks to all the base I've done so far.

Program is like this for this week.

1-1_zpsc0cbdf57.png

Anyone else doing the same?

Niceone Rebel, good to have another guy on board. I'm down south in Swindon so the course is a trek away for me, although I might have a recce nearer the time when the weather is a bit nicer!

Although if you sign up to the Tri-Talk forum, there a bunch of guys there that will be up for cycling, and showing you round. There's also a pretty comprehensive site on the course too, although it appears to have been taken down for now :(

In other news, my training is still going pretty well, hit all my sessions this week which makes me happy.

Also got this little number in the running challenge on Strava, logged 29 miles running so far :D

base-mile-blast-run-2013-v1-20_zps7d11b7c0.png

Thanks Dolmio, congratulations on the swimming, that's great news, good effort. Stick at it and the gains will start to come!

I know what you mean about it being daunting looking at the schedule, I'm starting to ramp up from 10 hours now. Can't wait to get some more miles in on the TT bike though now.

Ah nice one, sounds like your training is coming on nicely. Yeah the Cotswolds has some nice cycling roads. Let us know how you get on next weekend with all the activity!

Yeah I'm hoping my motivation will improve this week. Luckily its just the swimming which is getting the brunt of the missed sessions at the moment.

Yes and yes.
Yeah I'm following the Don Fink program, which is currently around 12 hours a week, and so I have it all in a spreadsheet with what I'm due to be doing on what day. The biggest week before the taper is 20 hours, the majority of that being a 6 hour ride into an hour run, and then a 3 hour run with a 90 minute ride on the Saturday and Sunday.

I'm pretty happy with the bike at the moment as I've only missed one bike session in three months. But all my rides have been under 60 miles atm.

Any words of wisdom? What sort of training did you put in before yours? and what time did you finish in if you don't mind me asking?

Niceone Dolmio! Sounds like a great weekend! Not sure I'd be able to cram all that lot in without blowing up bigtime at some point. That's impressive pace on the 10k as well, my PB from 2011 still remains at 49 minutes, although I'm sure i'd beat this now, just not done a proper race for ages.

Back
Top Bottom