Is a 32 Inch Monitor too large for working at a desk?

Soldato
depends how much you value your eye sight :p, i tried a 32" tv and normal distance and i felt it was ok, but then it was only 720, so the size of content was fine and not miniature like at higher resolutions you sometime find, but to me a 32 onwards be ideal for a flight or racing simulator.

Thats why I got the 1080p verson of the 49" ultra wide because the screen was exactly like my old 27" 1080p with the nice text size, accept this one has wings hehe.

Permabanned
At the time 24" 1080p was said to be the ideal size for pixels not to big and blocky, not too small to give you eye strain over time, some seem obsessed with higher RES like 4K now even on smaller screens even tough they sit too far away to even benefit.

24" 1080p would be near same/if not the same as 32" 1440p, IMO after using 1080p on 27" it is a little blocky, sure its easy to read webpages etc but games not so nice as a higher RES.

Associate
4k is good because your computer can use the extra pixels to scale, making your fonts more detailed and smoother, and everything just look nicer.

32" and 4k is currently my preference for screen work, though 27" and 4K also looks gorgeous for coding etc.

Soldato
At 2 feet it would seem a bit large imo. More head movement than eye movement.

Nah. I'm using a 27 inch now at nearly 3ft and I feel it's small, I need bigger.

basically I like it when the screen takes up most of my vision while sitting straight - it makes games very immersive

Soldato
its funny how its a dilemma to find the ideal screen size and res for a pc monitor, but most people have a gaming laptop too with a high res, but smaller screen.

my 24" tv is a simple lcd display and does fine connected to my pc, but the screen on my laptop is so much better yet only 15.6" and im closer to it too.

Soldato
I think if a screen messes up your eye vision, its not a good screen and it defeats its purpose. I had 1 of those screens that you needed a magnify glass to read stuff, never again.

Caporegime
Bump, have the same dilemma atm!

Choosing between two 144p screens, 27" or 32" (both IPS).

Spent several tortuous moments with the tape measure, against my existing 1080p 23". I can't help but feel the 32" would be absolutely massive, with lots of head turning.

The only thing I'm worried about is the smaller pixels on the 27", and having to set screen scaling above 1:1 which would be too small for text. In theory smaller pixels are always better but still in 2021 not everything supports scaling properly. At 32" 144op the pixels are the same size as my existing screen.

I sit two feet away or sometimes closer :p That coz my eyesight is awful :p I feel that paying more for a bigger screen and then sitting further back is somewhat self-defeating, so I'd want to stay pretty close to the screen.

Decisions, decisions.

Associate
Currently on a 49” qled 4k . Due to having to move rooms for a little one I’m now less than 2 ft from screen! . Decision now is 27” 1440 or 4k or 32 but I think at this distance 32 may be too big. Giving me neck strain looking up and down lol

Associate
On a standard ikea bekant desk 80cm deep I found the 32 inch monitor just a just a little to large and downsized back to a 27inch monitor.

Putting them back to back you wouldn't think there was that much difference between them but it was causing me noticeable eye/neck strain in use.

Caporegime
I've very recently moved from 27" 1440p to a 32" 1440p screen and have been very pleased with the experience.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I find my eyes/head have to move a bit more on this LG 32" flat than with the Odyssey G7 32" Curved and 27" Curved before that, not sure if I will get used to it or end up with sore eyes/head as only been a few weeks but I would have preferred a curve.

It is fairy big deep desk, monitor is back more than an arms length away from me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide will be great for you.
The are a significant jump in price tho, for a similar spec.

The only way to go ultrawide and not up your budget is to accept a lower performance in some metrics.

So a 32" fast IPS can be yours for <£500.

The same pixel response/refresh + panel type in an utlrawide is >£800.

Caporegime
Should be about £400 for an Iiyama 144 Hz
Yes but it's not in the same league as something like an M27Q, GL850 or MAG274QRF-QD.

For one, the input response time of the iiyama is known to be ~20ms (vs ~3ms on those above). As for the pixel response times, there are no reviews from people like RTINGS, and the most I've been able to find out is that the panel is made by BOE, a large Chinese panel manufacturer with their own IPS-type tech called ADS.

If you want something with proven (and reviewed/measured) pixel response times in the sub 6ms region, you're looking at £800+ in the 3440x1440p space. From the likes of Dell, LG, Acer.

Overdrive implementation is one of the most important factors in a gaming screen, and until the iiyama GB3461 is reviewed by someone like RTINGS (etc), I will continue to very much doubt it's on par with someone like LG Display.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for, with almost no exceptions.

So I stand by my comment - if you want a fast IPS, and you're moving from 27" 16:9 to UW 34", you need to dig a lot deeper in your pockets, unless you want to sacrifice spec.

Back
Top Bottom