Is everything an Estate Agent says, utter BS?

Caporegime
Are they real estate agents? or just glorified ushers.

someone else will do the computer work?

I did my own divorce though and was surprised how easy it was with all the forms.... makes me wonder if selling a house is really that hard, surely theres already document templates around and everything should be fairly straight forward.

all they are really selling is advertising and like an insurance that everything is above board?

Soldato
Estate agents can be absolute scum, and truth be told they don't serve any real purpose for most sales, they don't seem to understand who they work for or what honesty is. A friend listed her house and got nowhere, she would contact the estate agent every fortnight to see if they had any interest, as they had somewhere they were interested in and the agent knew this. the property was on a new build estate in a desirable area with decent schools and good transport links. She was talking to my ex about this one day at lunch and asked her to enquire with the estate agent about 3-4 bed properties in the price range she was up for in that area, the estate agent denied having anything available! That was the point she moved estate agents and within a few weeks it had multiple offers.

Soldato
People pull out of viewings all the time. They will just go see anything for a nosey around even if they have zero intension of buying it and because they were never serious they will cancel at the last second for seemingly no reason.

I know someone who only went to view a house because his wife wanted to get some ideas for their garden. But he did end up buying it anyway.

Man of Honour
A couple of months after I bought my first house I ran into the estate agent that sold it to me on the same estate. He launched into a spiel about how many people had come to view it. Except the I knew that only two people viewed it, including me. He'd finalised the deal, I'd moved in, and he still couldn't stop lying about the property. I just assume it's a requirement for the job.

Associate
OP
A couple of months after I bought my first house I ran into the estate agent that sold it to me on the same estate. He launched into a spiel about how many people had come to view it. Except the I knew that only two people viewed it, including me. He'd finalised the deal, I'd moved in, and he still couldn't stop lying about the property. I just assume it's a requirement for the job.

It must be. There is absolutely no need for them to continue lying to you after you'd bought it and moved in. They just can't helpt themselves.

Imagine being in a relationship with one, you'd never know if anything they said was true.

Caporegime
Yes. Estate agents are scum, and completely useless.

Its one of the biggest scams ever. You end up paying some idiot who knows nothing, more than you pay your solicitor or removal men, just for taking some picture and sticking an advert on the internet. Ours couldn't even be bothered to get the spelling or grammar/details correct on ours either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think y'all missing the point of what EAs are meant to do. They aren't there to "sell" your house; if people want it, they'll make an offer they think it is worth to them. The EAs work reasonable "hard" to progress the sale/get the deal done. This is what requires patience and a driving personality type.

Most viewings around here get outsourced to stay at home mums - they get something like £20 per showing. The EA only kicks in when a sale is being negotiated and then when a deal is accepted, they push to get it done ASAP so they don't lose the numbers.

Caporegime
I think y'all missing the point of what EAs are meant to do. They aren't there to "sell" your house; if people want it, they'll make an offer they think it is worth to them. The EAs work reasonable "hard" to progress the sale/get the deal done. This is what requires patience and a driving personality type.

Most viewings around here get outsourced to stay at home mums - they get something like £20 per showing. The EA only kicks in when a sale is being negotiated and then when a deal is accepted, they push to get it done ASAP so they don't lose the numbers.

They are totally worthless.

Soldato
I don't trust salespeople at all.

I remember a double glazing salesman telling me a story. He was so proud of his son, who had sold two very large windows the day before. They cost £2000 each to manufacture and he had sold them to some "rich guy in a mansion" for £90,000. He was so proud! I was appalled!

Getting back to houses, Estate Agents, nope, wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one.

Caporegime
I don't trust salespeople at all.

I remember a double glazing salesman telling me a story. He was so proud of his son, who had sold two very large windows the day before. They cost £2000 each to manufacture and he had sold them to some "rich guy in a mansion" for £90,000. He was so proud! I was appalled!

Getting back to houses, Estate Agents, nope, wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one.

One of the most important mantras in life is to never trust a salesman.

Soldato
Don't bother Jono, some on here think the sun shines out of EA's arses. You won't change their minds.
Who? lol. I don't think anyone at all has said that. If it was directed to me, I am just highlighting how you have all misunderstood the role of an EA. Ironically it seems some of you are advocating for them to hard sell a house (like that Simpsons episode where Marge sells the murder house).

Man of Honour
I have to say our last move the estate agent was actually quite good - she put a lot of effort into getting things moving when there was hold ups in other parts of the chain and even literally marched into the solicitors to light a fire under their behinds to get things moving when they were being an incompetent shower. Though she did kind of screw up the blind auction but that was partly due to one buyer playing silly games.

While there is a thread for it - the whole moving process exposes some of the worst of humanity for laziness, lack of consideration and incompetence.

Caporegime
While there is a thread for it - the whole moving process exposes some of the worst of humanity for laziness, lack of consideration and incompetence.

Agree 100% there.

Ive had two mortgages/done two mortgage applications. 5 years apart and different houses etc.

Both times the offer was wrong. On the first one the bank had put the wrong house number on it. On the second one, they spelt my wife's name wrong....

The name thing REALLY wound me up. They ask you to supply them with six billion forms of ID and proof of who you are/funds etc etc etc. Yet they still go and spell the name wrong.

The world is hilariously incompetent.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The name thing REALLY wound me up. They ask you to supply them with six billion forms of ID and proof of who you are/funds etc etc etc. Yet they still go and spell the name wrong.

The world is hilariously incompetent.

Had similar with the solicitor - they ask for specifically collated and indexed information, then can't even refer to it and/or get it wrong - does not inspire you as to the quality of the job they are specifically hired to do.

Soldato
What are the actual alternative to using an Estate agent? Whenever I look at reviews of Purple Bricks, they are awful and people generally recommend going with an actual dedicated estate agent instead.

The estate agent we had to use when we were first time buyers was a nasty piece of work. She lied to our faces and withheld information. She also was rubbish at getting back to us on all our queries.
Towards the end of the chain during COVID, a buyer at the top of the chain got very demanding and tried to make everyone in the chain sign a COVID insurance waver. It seems I was the only one in the chain who spotted it for what it was. I can't remember the exact details but it was something like the ability for anyone to back out even after exchange citing COVID as a reason. My solicitor advised I didn't sign it but my estate agent rang me claiming that everyone else in the chain had signed it and it was just me that hadn't.
We assumed this was lies, but even if it were true, I told her we wouldn't sign it and she screamed down the phone at me and said I would be the reason for the entire chain collapsing. Everyone then supposedly followed my lead and refused to sign it. Sale proceeded.

Associate
They also make up things like "The vendor has instructed us only to take offers from people who are using us for their mortgage to ensure it all goes smoothly).

The financial advisor from the estate agent I got my first house from tried that crap with me. They saw I was a first time buyer and had my parents with me so they thought I was soft and tried to take me for a ride. Even to the extent of saying that the mortgage in principle I had from The Woolwich was no good as they are a dodgy company who never pay out so they would have to cancel my accepted offer to the seller. At the time The Woolwich was Barclays mortgage brand so I knew that they were talking rubbish.

I sicced the independent financial advisor I was using on them. I then wrote a letter to the head of branch explaining what happened and how it was illegal. The financial advisor was sacked.

Edit: I ended up meeting with the seller to make sure they weren't being fed lies. I have since said that with any house I look at that a condition of my offer is meeting the sellers. Two houses later and that condition has saved me a lot of crap from estate agents and solicitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom