Is everything an Estate Agent says, utter BS?

Soldato
This is objectively untrue. I work with 10+ technical sales people. They're honest, and they know a hell of a lot more than the consultants we work with.
Is it objectively untrue, or are you just fortunate to know a small group of sales people at your company? Do you get to sit in and watch their sales pitches to prospective clients?

I'd also say it's just good practice to know absolutely everything you can about what you're trying to sell .

Associate
OP
A near neighbour had the agent in recently to value their deceased parents property, a three bedroom detached house on a large plot in one of the most desirable roads in the area. Apparently they'd struggle to sell it as 'no-one wants a large garden anymore'.
There must be something wrong with me then, because other than needing a large garage, I also need a much bigger garden for my dogs!

Soldato
Utter scumbags but unfortunately most of us will need them once in a while .

Was trying to sell a flat that had a ground rent issues. They had the full brief on it and I told them to advertise it as investors only as it would have been difficult for a lender to lend money on it , the property was cheap enough,

***** strung me along with a first time buyer and the first time i new about this was when the buyers solicitor raised concerns over ground rent and wanted a compulsory lease extension done ( would have cost around 10k ) . In the mean time I had served notice on my Tennant after the Scumbag agent said all was well. It's costs me thousands in lost rent and other costs.

Currently talking to a solicitor about this but any compensation would be minimal if any.

Problem is they are not regulated by one body , idiots need licensing as they are dealing with people's biggest life asset .

Last edited:
Soldato
***** strung me along with a first time buyer and the first time i new about this was when the buyers solicitor raised concerns over ground rent and wanted a compulsory lease extension done ( would have cost around 10k ) . In the mean time I had served notice on my Tennant after the Scumbag agent said all was well. It's costs me thousands in lost rent and other costs.

.......and it wouldn't have been much fun for the FTB either. Awful behavior.

Soldato
Rightmove IS the estate agents.

It is owned jointly between a number of the large corporates along with some banking partners.

This explains a lot.

This thread doesn't paint EAs very well in the picture, I'd say more than 90% have had a bad experience and that should be enough for the government to do something (ha!) but not before the insurance cartels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always said that I couldn't be a salesman unless I truly believed in the product/services that I was selling, or was invested in some way. I definitely think it suits certain character types to be an agent/salesman. Lying/misleading/exaggerating etc as part of your everyday job would kill me. I think it would also change me as a person. If you keep telling lies and providing a **** service day to day without having the emotional link to the people you are affecting... that might transfer over to social/family life with the way you treat people since you become conditioned to conducting yourself in said ways and shutting off emotions of the outcome and how it affects peoples lives. Slippery slope and all that.

Soldato
From my experience this includes solicitors. FFS I was supposed to have been dealing with the completion of a house sale today-only to be told it couldn't go through because the buyer's solictor claimed he didn't have enough time to request the funds from the buyer's lender. The buyer's solicitor was the one who chose the day to complete?

Back
Top Bottom