Is Islam compatible with atheism/lack of belief ?

Associate
Religions over the years have fought. They have also lived together (hippy line out of the way).

In Southern Spain the Catholics and Muslims lived, worked and cooperated for a 600+ years. Even when the Muslims were forced out the catholics upheld the upkeep of the mosques and didn't destroy all the muslim architecture.

Bagdad was a home of modern maths. The Egyptians were masters of moving huge weights.

We're brainwashed to hate muslims by the press and in some part the government as it supports a purpose.

It's a total cluster **********

Caporegime
Religions over the years have fought. They have also lived together (hippy line out of the way).

In Southern Spain the Catholics and Muslims lived, worked and cooperated for a 600+ years. Even when the Muslims were forced out the catholics upheld the upkeep of the mosques and didn't destroy all the muslim architecture.

Bagdad was a home of modern maths. The Egyptians were masters of moving huge weights.

We're brainwashed to hate muslims by the press and in some part the government as it supports a purpose.

That doesn't answer the OP

Soldato
I think in general Atheism is not compatible with religion because of the lack of belief beyond comprehension in an imaginary being with proof (conclusive, physical proof). I'd like to say that because of that Atheists are more open-minded however a lot aren't.

I try to be and can understand the desire for a deity but I am too succinct for religion and it's limitations.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Science trumps all I'm afraid.

Associate
OK.

I think it is perfectly possible to live in a multi religion community.

I think the media and the influence it has makes it harder.

On a daily basis I work with muslims, christians, sikhs, jews etc. Not once have I thought that we can't work together. I have hired across the religions too.

I simply cannot understand how people can think different.

Soldato
OK.

I think it is perfectly possible to live in a multi religion community.

I think the media and the influence it has makes it harder.

On a daily basis I work with muslims, christians, sikhs, jews etc. Not once have I thought that we can't work together. I have hired across the religions too.

I simply cannot understand how people can think different.

I agree and it does not bother me in the slightest who believes in what - if they are nice to me i'll be nice to them.

However I can understand how it can get up peoples noses when people get special treatment because of their religion.

Ramadan is a good one (and relevant because it is happening now?) because it is unsafe to expect people to work as hard in a physical job with no food in daylight hours and as such they are legally entitled to change their hours to suit or work in a reduced capacity on light/unproductive duties (I know because I had to change all the shift patterns around because of this). Other religions are not.....

Likewise people get Christmas off etc as it is a Christian, amongst others, celebration.

England is a Christian/Church of England nation so I'm struggling to see how other religions refuse to integrate etc. I think being atheist it annoys me when people could live in harmony but choose not to because they 'believe' they don't have to follow certain rules.

At the end of the day, each to their own as long as they pull their weight and it's all give and take in equal measure. I.e. One religion wants one thing and gives up another to suits another religion etc.

Associate
I agree and it does not bother me in the slightest who believes in what - if they are nice to me i'll be nice to them.

However I can understand how it can get up peoples noses when people get special treatment because of their religion.

Ramadan is a good one (and relevant because it is happening now?) because it is unsafe to expect people to work as hard in a physical job with no food in daylight hours and as such they are legally entitled to change their hours to suit or work in a reduced capacity on light/unproductive duties (I know because I had to change all the shift patterns around because of this). Other religions are not.....

Likewise people get Christmas off etc as it is a Christian, amongst others, celebration.

England is a Christian/Church of England nation so I'm struggling to see how other religions refuse to integrate etc. I think being atheist it annoys me when people could live in harmony but choose not to because they 'believe' they don't have to follow certain rules.

At the end of the day, each to their own as long as they pull their weight and it's all give and take in equal measure. I.e. One religion wants one thing and gives up another to suits another religion etc.

totally.

We get easter holidays and the like.

If someone else gets more holidays for their religion I am OK with that. What I don't want to see if an increase.

If we have an agreed quota, then fine.

I worked with a Saudi company and they had a mental amount of time off, something like 30 days on top of their annual leave. Fine, as long as agreed. You can plan this into your work loads and adjust accordingly.

Soldato
totally.

We get easter holidays and the like.

If someone else gets more holidays for their religion I am OK with that. What I don't want to see if an increase.

If we have an agreed quota, then fine.

I worked with a Saudi company and they had a mental amount of time off, something like 30 days on top of their annual leave. Fine, as long as agreed. You can plan this into your work loads and adjust accordingly.

I'm a bit more 'communist' I guess lol.

If one religion needs 60 days off and the company allowance is 25 paid - they can have 35 unpaid and everyone is entitled to the same regardless of beliefs so all fair. One religion will never prosper over another with me. They want 60 paid? Fine, sack a few people to pay for it. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Man of Honour

The idea that Spain after the Islamic conquest was entirely a place of religious freedom and co-operation is a popular pair of rose-tinted spectacles. The reality wasn't that simple or pretty. Conquest, remember. How non-Muslims were treated depended entirely on the Muslims in power and varied from tolerance to death.

Bagdad was a home of modern maths.

That's true. For a few centuries in the medieval period, the House of Wisdom was the high point of education this side of China. And then it was run down by other Muslims because it was heavily based on earlier Greek work and thus became seen as unislamic.

The Egyptians were masters of moving huge weights

Millenia before Islam existed.

We're brainwashed to hate muslims by the press and in some part the government as it supports a purpose

The incessant hatred, violence, oppression and murder that's part of Islam probably plays a role in that. Pretending that it's just brainwashed irrational prejudice is just pretending.

Yes, it is. In a variety of ways.

Thug
Soldato

You are quoting Spain as an example? Seriously?!

Associate
for the op, the "terror" attacks of a islamic nature come about because of several factors

1) dissafection, redemption? perhaps as many who do the attacks where previously not that devout muslims, the suicide bit comes from the belief they go to heaven if they die doing gods work/war, and sometimes military efficiency, like delivering your truckbomb to the enemy checkpoint/base and blowing up at point blank range.

2) Ive heard its to split people and make muslims "wake up" and fight, or choose their faith vs country.

3) revenge. fairly straight forward, we (west) ****** up afganistan, iraq and regions of pakistan, with many many dead and wounded. how many fancy attending a wedding party in north pakistan? :/, and even going back further, they have a loong collective memory

4) They dont have the military might or airpower we have, hence the tactics they use

5) the books and teachings have plenty of rules and requirements for war and stuff like that, and they are ment to be the exact words of god, while previous books (jew/christian) are more stories that might of gotten changed over time, so someone can look at them and make a convincing arguement for being like the extremeist groups.

on the whole people can live together fine most of the time, but if something happens like a perceived injustice, and/or a growing collection of niggles then things escalate. Its human nature to want to fight at some point, just like gold does something to us.

Associate
Muslims tend to behead non-muslims. Sikhs and Hindus slaughtered to 100 million since Islamic Mogul invasion of India.
My forefathers died for my freedom. I'm so proud to be a Sikh.

Man of Honour
I think all religions can get along providing we ditch the aggressive cultures associated with them or that have sometimes been associated with them.

Caporegime
They really cannot get along if they, all relegeons, follow their scriptures to the letter.

They can maybe learn to not interfere and tolerate each other, but that isn't really observing what is written.

You can argue till the cows come home.
They will only get on if they both make compromises to their inherent beliefs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think all religions can get along providing we ditch the aggressive cultures associated with them or that have sometimes been associated with them.

it isn't just culture but parts of the ideology itself that need to be modified in some cases

Man of Honour
Did the egyptians not predate Islam by thousands of years? Having a completely different religion?

Also fundamental Islam has largely been repressed (sometimes forcefully) in Egypt - unlike some parts of the ME it has long been regarded as regressive in that country.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom