Is it now worth moving from plasma to something LED?

Caporegime
My TV is ancient.
Its an old Panasonic gt30 46 plasma

I don't really have a problem with it. So does seem wasteful to upgrade. But it does guzzle the power too.

Completely lost in TV land now.

Qd-oled
Qled
Oled
So many models.

One thing I will say is I don't like a lot of LED tvs I see. I don't always know what they are (other peoples kit) but they make some films look terrible.
I'm also very susceptible to soap opera effect. I see it instantly and I absolutely hate it. This is when the motion looks too smooth. I believe its due to interpolation? But may be wrong.

I often also think the characters on the TV are almost "separate" from the background. And look, I can only describe it as, hyper real. Best analogy is when a cartoon has a bright door because it's going to move. You can tell its not same as background.
New CGI animation is fine. Its older films/TV that looks off.

Granted these tvs are probably not set up properly and just out of the box but I am wary.

I think most of the content I watch tends to be animated or "dark" so the original oled was very tempting. I know QLED is not far off. But for blacks (pure black) OLED is still best?

I'd be looking at 55+ as a size

I have an old yamaha AV paired with monitor audio silver RX 5.0 setup and a bk xxls sub. The av is 1080p but I'd rather not upgrade that.

Now here is the thing that might make this pointless. I consume everything through chromecast->av->tv. Netflix 90pc of the time, YouTube, channel 4, and games 10pc of the time.
No sky, not even BBC/freeview.

Are there any decent buys around 1k mark or is it a bit pointless with my old audio setup and viewing content?

Last edited:
This article describes EXACTLY what I feel when I see this.

It is common for a new TV’s picture to leave an unsettling impression after purchasing. Actors and objects are clearly visible against the background – almost as if someone had literally glued them there.

The flow is also extremely smooth, with no stuttering at all. This is referred to as the soap opera effect. When it comes to high-quality TV series and movies, this is especially true.

We are redecorating our main lounge so have moved back into the snug with A Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro. Whilst still a fantastic TV our 65 inch LG blows it away in everything (apart from sound, But Sonos has sorted that)

We are redecorating our main lounge so have moved back into the snug with A Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro. Whilst still a fantastic TV our 65 inch LG blows it away in everything (apart from sound, But Sonos has sorted that)
Ah the legendary kuro. Those went for silly money for years after plasma weren't made anymore.

How do LG have so many models!

My TV is ancient.
Its an old Panasonic gt30 46 plasma

I don't really have a problem with it. So does seem wasteful to upgrade. But it does guzzle the power too.

Completely lost in TV land now.

Qd-oled
Qled
Oled
So many models.

One thing I will say is I don't like a lot of LED tvs I see. I don't always know what they are (other peoples kit) but they make some films look terrible.
I'm also very susceptible to soap opera effect. I see it instantly and I absolutely hate it. This is when the motion looks too smooth. I believe its due to interpolation? But may be wrong.

I often also think the characters on the TV are almost "separate" from the background. And look, I can only describe it as, hyper real. Best analogy is when a cartoon has a bright door because it's going to move. You can tell its not same as background.
New CGI animation is fine. Its older films/TV that looks off.

Granted these tvs are probably not set up properly and just out of the box but I am wary.

I think most of the content I watch tends to be animated or "dark" so the original oled was very tempting. I know QLED is not far off. But for blacks (pure black) OLED is still best?

I'd be looking at 55+ as a size

I have an old yamaha AV paired with monitor audio silver RX 5.0 setup and a bk xxls sub. The av is 1080p but I'd rather not upgrade that.

Now here is the thing that might make this pointless. I consume everything through chromecast->av->tv. Netflix 90pc of the time, YouTube, channel 4, and games 10pc of the time.
No sky, not even BBC/freeview.

Are there any decent buys around 1k mark or is it a bit pointless with my old audio setup and viewing content?
With regards to your chromecast, I'd expect any tv you are looking at to havenetflix built in which makes it easier (will show some stuff at 4k for instance).

Last edited:
What about this s95b I keep hearing about?
Seems to get a mix of race reviews and disappointment but average score sits low.

Is QD-OLED worth waiting for? (ie late 2023 sales?)
S95b has issues with laggy OS and bent panels out of the box. Still a good TV overall.

It's always a waiting game with better tvs year on year. Oled tvs a great now so get one if you want one.

I have a C9 from 3 years ago and the quality still amazes me.

Last edited:
S95b has issues with laggy OS and bent panels out of the box. Still a good TV overall.

It's always a waiting game with better tvs year on year. Oled tvs a great now so get one if you want one.

I have a C9 from 3 years ago and the quality still amazes me.
I upgrade my TV so infrequently (I mean I've only. Bought 1 TV and I'm 37) it's probably worth waiting for absolute best?
Damn. That first tv is 11 years old. Panny Gt30

Its annoying as that Sony is (really) too expensive. As it seems to be gold standard. And yeah looks like bad reviews for Samsung are quality.

If I use chromecast, does the OS even matter?

Last edited:
I upgrade my TV so infrequently (I mean I've only. Bought 1 TV and I'm 37) it's probably worth waiting for absolute best?
Damn. That first tv is 11 years old. Panny Gt30

Its annoying as that Sony is (really) too expensive. As it seems to be gold standard. And yeah looks like bad reviews for Samsung are quality.

If I use chromecast, does the OS even matter?

TVs are great now especially for the 1k mark like the C2 etc. You'll not be disappointed if you enjoy what you have instead of comparing.

You are coming from a very old TV. You will now benefit from OLED blacks and colors, 4k res and HDR + WCG. These are massive improvements vs year on year oled improvements.

Yes the OS matters... changing tv settings, switching sources etc.

And your chromecast is redundant now .
TVs have all the apps you need m in 4k HDR. And you can cast to them like you did.

For example iplayer would only live stream the World Cup from the native TV app in 4k hdr, not compatible from a chromecast, only 1080.

Last edited:
What about this s95b I keep hearing about?
Seems to get a mix of race reviews and disappointment but average score sits low.

Is QD-OLED worth waiting for? (ie late 2023 sales?)

Couldn't be happier with my S95B 55.

Got it for around a grand in the Samsung sale a while ago, and they took my old plasma away as well.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the OS, but as it's my first smart TV, I've nothing to compare it with.

Even now, months into ownership, I still get impressed with how good the picture is.

Buying a large screen TV now is pretty simple....you buy OLED if budget allows. There are some usage cases for still going LCD/LED/QLED (basically non OLED). The main two are budget and bright rooms. Most of the new OLEDs are brighter now anyway. I wouldn't over think it and just buy an LG OLED latest deal/model.

Buying a large screen TV now is pretty simple....you buy OLED if budget allows. There are some usage cases for still going LCD/LED/QLED (basically non OLED). The main two are budget and bright rooms. Most of the new OLEDs are brighter now anyway. I wouldn't over think it and just buy an LG OLED latest deal/model.
I would definitely make the switch to OLED if I was you. We have both OLED and QLED. QLED was bought for a specific room in the house that gets full sun all day and is used by the children for PS, etc. I don't have to worry about damage to screen from direct sunlight or burn in on the QLED. However, if it was my only TV I would go OLED all day. Our OLED is a few years old now (LG C7) but the quality of the blacks are awesome. Now that the newer OLEDs have brighter screens then they should really be first choice after a plasma.

HDTV Test looked at this a couple of years ago now. The TLDW is that OLED is better, on balance, than Plasma. There's maybe still an argument in favour of Plasma for fringe use cases (e.g. mainly watching SD content), but the moment you start looking at 4K HDR content, Plasma is left for dust.

I'm making the move from a Panasonic PZ81 (from 2008!) to an LG C1. Delivery due on Saturday. At £799 for a 55" set, I couldn't resist. Same situation - there's nothing wrong with my current TV, but I had the upgrade itch. I can't wait to try out some 4K HDR content.

HDTV Test looked at this a couple of years ago now. The TLDW is that OLED is better, on balance, than Plasma. There's maybe still an argument in favour of Plasma for fringe use cases (e.g. mainly watching SD content), but the moment you start looking at 4K HDR content, Plasma is left for dust.

I'm making the move from a Panasonic PZ81 (from 2008!) to an LG C1. Delivery due on Saturday. At £799 for a 55" set, I couldn't resist. Same situation - there's nothing wrong with my current TV, but I had the upgrade itch. I can't wait to try out some 4K HDR content.

Should have bought bigger screen.

When you get your first OLED, try watch a movie with ALL the lights off in the room, especially something with a night scene. It's hard to describe until you see or realise how much black lit light a normal Non-OLED or with edge lit TV there are and can make the room bright even when the scene on the screen is dark. When it's OLED it's totally black and you wondered who turned the lights off.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I posted the same thing before christmas and ended up with a Sony 75 OLED (yes its very OTT) its also cheaper to run.

Downside.

The room does not get as warm anymore, but we all have TV snuggle blankets right..................... ?

Still waiting on good Micro-LED before I upgrade from my Sony XE9305 - These OLED's with their 800 - 900 peak brightness.
Don't get me wrong, it's a mad improvement over where they were, but with HDR10+ & DV mastered at 1000 - 4000, they just need that little more.
Micro-LED is just going to give you all the advantages of "blackest black" you get with OLED, but give you that peak brightness as well.

Obviously if I was looking to buy right now, OLED is the direction I'd go - but when I was looking 5yrs ago, I still stand by my choice.

Back
Top Bottom