Is it now worth moving from plasma to something LED?

Still waiting on good Micro-LED before I upgrade from my Sony XE9305 - These OLED's with their 800 - 900 peak brightness.
Don't get me wrong, it's a mad improvement over where they were, but with HDR10+ & DV mastered at 1000 - 4000, they just need that little more.
Micro-LED is just going to give you all the advantages of "blackest black" you get with OLED, but give you that peak brightness as well.

Obviously if I was looking to buy right now, OLED is the direction I'd go - but when I was looking 5yrs ago, I still stand by my choice.
OLED this year will be hitting 1500 peak brightness.

You’ve probably got another 5 years for Micro LED to be affordable and actually 4K in the smaller sizes.

Should have bought bigger screen.

No room without replacing furniture. The 55" is going to be a tight fit as it is.

42" to 55" should feel like a big upgrade for now. Maybe I'll go bigger at some point in the future, once things have moved forward substantially.

Last edited:

HDTV Test looked at this a couple of years ago now. The TLDW is that OLED is better, on balance, than Plasma. There's maybe still an argument in favour of Plasma for fringe use cases (e.g. mainly watching SD content), but the moment you start looking at 4K HDR content, Plasma is left for dust.

I'm making the move from a Panasonic PZ81 (from 2008!) to an LG C1. Delivery due on Saturday. At £799 for a 55" set, I couldn't resist. Same situation - there's nothing wrong with my current TV, but I had the upgrade itch. I can't wait to try out some 4K HDR content.

If I have little HD content (I mean paying for Netflix HD is the best I'm going to get) is an upgrade much less worth it?

Remember this is 1k+ (probably +) of an outlay.

Similar story here with a 2010 Panasonic V20 50” plasma. Lovely picture, but a new OLED will wipe the floor with it. The thin bezels on modern sets will allow a larger screen too. Will likely wait another year as holidays have taken up any possible telly budget!

Last edited:
Similar situation here.

Currently still have our Panasonic V10 42 inch plasma going strong, but since moving house I know have the opportunity to retire this to the family room and get a nice shiny OLED for the living room :)

Thinking a 65inch although 77 would probably be ok in the room as well, but the budget starts going up then…

Similar situation here.

Currently still have our Panasonic V10 42 inch plasma going strong, but since moving house I know have the opportunity to retire this to the family room and get a nice shiny OLED for the living room :)

Thinking a 65inch although 77 would probably be ok in the room as well, but the budget starts going up then…

Bigger always better with a TV - go big or go home!

Last edited:
I know, just I was looking at a Panasonic LZ2000 as liked the idea of having the decent sound all built in.

The price of the 65 isn’t too horrendous, the 77 however is :(

I bet sd content would look garbage on a 77. Probably on 65 too

Ideally I'd move to a 65. Would probably wall mount in that case too.

Last edited:
I know it's a terrible way to judge. But is it worth going into a John Lewis or something just to view? I know (and its annoying) that the environment is super bright. But worth a visit?

I know it's a terrible way to judge. But is it worth going into a John Lewis or something just to view? I know (and its annoying) that the environment is super bright. But worth a visit?

You won't get an accurate idea of the picture quality viewing in store for two reasons. The first, as you say, the environment is nothing like it would be in your home.
The second reason is that the tv itself will be set to "Store" mode. The contrast will be far too high and the colours will be oversaturated. This is to make the tv stand out from all the other oversaturated tv's.

Bought one of those plug in energy monitors as was curious as to how much the 42 inch plasma is drawing. Wish I hadn’t.

Watching some ice hockey so a lot of white/bright on the screen and it’s pulling 400 watts

Bought one of those plug in energy monitors as was curious as to how much the 42 inch plasma is drawing. Wish I hadn’t.

Watching some ice hockey so a lot of white/bright on the screen and it’s pulling 400 watts

Even with my whole system on, 65" oled, AV pre amps, 4000W power amplifiers, 2000W subwoofers, Kodi etc, and home router total usage is 350-600W

I've been happy with my qled. No soap opera effect once configured properly. No worrying about burn-in. Someone will say burn-in isn't an issue, but worrying about it is.

If buying again I would look for a glass-fronted tv so it can be easily cleaned. This one would get wrecked if wiped with a damp cloth. If you sneeze on it it's a problem.

Completely lost in TV land now.

Qd-oled
Qled
Oled
So many models.
Having both a sony 65" Oled & sony 65" QD-Oled in the house the colours on the QD-Oled are far better
Which is making me very much looking at upgrading the 65" OLED to an QD-Oled as i hate looking at the duller colours on my OLED now compared to my QD-Oled

Am waiting to see what new QD-Oled improvements come out this year
Video link - Samsung Display launch the 2nd Generation of QD OLED at CES 2023

Last edited:

Yeah same! Amazing how much difference it costs to watch a dark horror vs a Disney animation like frozen!

Back
Top Bottom