Is it possible to modify a thumbstick?

Permabanned
OP
this is totally sweet

I just went to my computer and right clicked and pressed explore on the usb thumbstick drive and just deleted the files on the thumbstick and they deleted. The drive wasn't copy protected. Now I take it I been lucky and don't need to do any formatting right? It just works right away with nothing needing to be done?

Soldato
this is totally sweet

I just went to my computer and right clicked and pressed explore on the usb thumbstick drive and just deleted the files on the thumbstick and they deleted. The drive wasn't copy protected. Now I take it I been lucky and don't need to do any formatting right? It just works right away with nothing needing to be done?

Someone please get rid of him. It's not even funny anymore.

Soldato
this is totally sweet

I seriously think you just post these threads looking for attention, what computer user doesn't at least know basics such as deleting files (even my sister can do this).

Fair enough you had to master the complexity of the right click, managing to get the mouse in just the correct position so the required context menu appeared before then having to deal with and decipher the whole new world of options presented to you, but was it really that hard? :confused:

Permabanned
OP
okay even when I right click on usb thumbstick in my computer and click properties it says used space 32kb and free space 483MB. I still want to format it as I want it as clean as possible as I will be putting important data on it like my book among other things and I don't want it lost. Currently I see the file system as FAT. I then right clicked and pressed format. I now see three options in a drop down box NTFS, FAT 32, FAT. It's already highlighted on FAT in the drop down box. it shows the capaity at 483MB. Should I tick the box for quick format? There are two tick boxes which are not ticked but grayed out so I can't choose them which is 'enable compression' and 'create an MS-DOS startup disk'. So do I just click format or quick format for FAT file system or FAT 32 or NTFS?

Soldato
I seriously think you just post these threads looking for attention, what computer user doesn't at least know basics such as deleting files (even my sister can do this).

Fair enough you had to master the complexity of the right click, managing to get the mouse in just the correct position so the required context menu appeared before then having to deal with and decipher the whole new world of options presented to you, but was it really that hard? :confused:

It's official, dvdbunny has less pc know-how than my 4 year old daughter.

Soldato
My god, with the level of intelligence demonstrated on these forums I really really can't wait until his novel reaches the shelves :cool:

Permabanned
OP
will thge formatting work just as well in the usb 1.0 port? You see the plastic shell around my usb thumbstick is too big for my usb 2.0 ports. and I can't get it off. So will the usb 1.0 or i think it is 1.1 will that be fine for the format?

Permabanned
OP
actually guys, you know you are absolutely huge help. I am really very appreciative of all the patience you have with me, thank you so much I am really very grateful. Thank you very much.

Soldato
will thge formatting work just as well in the usb 1.0 port? You see the plastic shell around my usb thumbstick is too big for my usb 2.0 ports. and I can't get it off. So will the usb 1.0 or i think it is 1.1 will that be fine for the format?

Don't forget to also make sure it's firmly inserted in the socket, when you format the memory stick you'll find it starts to weigh a bit more.

Also, don't forget that USB1.0 and 1.1 runs on a slightly different voltage to USB2.0. For normal usage this is fine but for intensive operations like formatting too much voltage travels through the port causing an overload of electrons in the memory stick causing it to potentially catch fire. This, coupled with the heavy memory stick caused by the formatting could land you in some serious trouble.

Your only real option is to hack away the plastic to get it in a USB2 port.

Back
Top Bottom