Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Sadly I don't think this'll ever be an option due to the "but then no-one can see you" aspect of them and if you still had to have lights it's a bit pointless really.
I imagine there are ways to illuminate a vehicle enough for pedestrians, without whiting out NVG.
Running lights that aren't a billion lumens, for example, as seen on many HGVs.

Every case? How can you be so sure, you've no idea which cars are and are not fitted with them and which ones correctly functioned so you didn't notice they had them.

If a driver approaches you in, say, a 2015 5 series how do you know if they've been slow to manually switch off full beam or if the car had automatic high beam fitted and was in use?

You must know, obviously, as you seem certain it's 100% of the time.

I find auto beams worse than leds on their own. They are so slow to react I’m dazzled in every case. Crazy this hasn’t been regulated and it’s too late now.
mine has auto beams and it seems to work to me. never been flashed incorrectly by another driver (tho 1 evening in a different car and I forgot they were not auto and got flashed)

also when I follow cars I can see the car drawing a line of shadow around the cars around me. I must admit I was skeptical when I 1st used the system but I find it pretty impressive

Last edited:
I find auto beams worse than leds on their own. They are so slow to react I’m dazzled in every case. Crazy this hasn’t been regulated and it’s too late now.
agree bmw (were ? V) the worst from earlier thread .. given up flashing people unless it particularly egregious,

cresting a hill/taking bend is always a give away too - where humans do it pre-emptively.

quite an interesting document comparing bmw/audi/merc/lexus matrix lights from 2014 models, (only just becoming legal in USA)
showing additional reasons why bmw might be blinding/flashed vs audi (I'm partisan)
characteristics I had not considered, excerpt beneath
- lux(light intensity, NOT total lumens) seen by incoming cars, ability not to dazzle a bicycle, light adaption times
(they're their highlights)

40155126975_93c391742e_o_d.jpg

excerpt

cresting a hill/taking bend is always a give away too - where humans do it pre-emptively.

Yes, this is the big clue. The worst I find is on the winding bit of my journey, generally as I am entering a corner where you can tell the oncoming car takes a moment to detect your own and in that briefest of time the damage is already done. To me it’s usually obvious whether it’s a car that does it automatically or not based on this reaction.

I have recently bought my daughter a new car and it has standard fit H4 type bulbs which are absolute rubbish.

I have noticed Halfords and Phillips offer LED bulb replacements so I guess they are road legal. Anyone have any experience of these? They are over double the price of decent 200% bulbs however.

I have recently bought my daughter a new car and it has standard fit H4 type bulbs which are absolute rubbish.

I have noticed Halfords and Phillips offer LED bulb replacements so I guess they are road legal. Anyone have any experience of these? They are over double the price of decent 200% bulbs however.
They shouldn't pass an MOT iirc. That's why they give the caveat of "it's up to you to check you local regulations".

Saying that I've had good quality led drop in bulbs fitted in my bikes in the past and it was never noticed come MOT time and I never had people flashing me for them.

Last edited:

I don't think they are actually road legal, but if the beam pattern is correct, it will be hard to fail it without taking the bulb out to check (which won't happen in an MOT).

Thought it's unlikely to have a good beam pattern and keeping them cool might be a problem.

Last edited:
I have noticed Halfords and Phillips offer LED bulb replacements so I guess they are road legal.

They throw a disclaimer in:

The Halfords Advanced LEDr H4 472 Headlight Twin Pack lets you level up your beams for a cooler, whiter light. Enjoy a sleek LED beam for your off-roading adventures.

These LED headlight bulbs give a brighter, longer-lasting light than their halogen alternatives, so you can keep the way ahead safely lit for longer. They have a precise beam pattern to deliver light exactly where you need it, and are ideal for upgrading your interior lights or main beams for off-road use.

*At the moment, it’s completely road legal for you to replace an internal bulb with an LED bulb. However, there’s no legislation to cover retrofitting external facing light sources and therefore LED exterior bulbs in this instance are not road legal.

They also don't offer a fitting service for these particular bulbs, for obvious reasons :p

Have to say I'm surprised how well they work dipping correctly in the Qashqai - and never had them slow to react in terms of dimming - what I do unfortunately find is that sometimes they are slow to switch the main beam back on when I manually press the switch which is an atrocious design flaw and occasionally get a false positive.

Philips RacingVision GT200's

Can't really go wrong with the Racing and Xtreme Vision - I put them in anything which was designed for halogens personally.

I'm not convinced that existence of complaints is the same thing as existence of a problem. People are always quick to complain about things regardless of facts.

I don't believe more people complain about it than potholes. Bright headlights can be an irritation every now and again, potholes have cost me actual money (and my bright headlights mean I might be able to dodge them better :D)

If only the government released detailed statistics on road traffic accidents in the UK and if only they provided a really comprehensive breakdown by cause and contributing factor. It would be even better if headlight glare was featured as a category so we could really see whether there had been an increase in accidents caused by headlight glare.

Oh, they do release exactly this! I'm sure all of those complaining about this issue have looked at this data.

Back
Top Bottom