Is it worst to wait PCIE 5.0 NVME SSD?

Yeah no thanks lol.

You will not notice the difference in gaming or day to day normal PC use between a gen 3, gen 4 and gen 5. All of these are so quick anyway that the difference you do notice will be in large file transfers and depending on specific use case scenarios, lots of small file writes/reads because the higher IOPS comes into its own. - But even then...

My board has one gen5 slot. Seems unless windows or direct storage ever make use of those speeds I'll never get any use of it?

It's not even any use copying files to another nvme in my system?

I upgraded to a 980 Samsung nvme and I didn’t notice any improvement as there are no games that can take advantage of it.

My board has one gen5 slot. Seems unless windows or direct storage ever make use of those speeds I'll never get any use of it?

It's not even any use copying files to another nvme in my system?
Even with Directstorage, I doubt there's much appreciable improvement over a Gen 3 or Gen 4 in that sense. It seems we need to wait for a Gen 5 that can be passively cooled (so a few more years out) before we can really make the most of it (when software has also caught up in making the most of it). So there's no real rush for anyone to grab it now.

And no games likely ever will. A gen 3 NVMe loads directstorage assets in under 1 second (typically) - The only two demos we have to go by confirm this, the DS1.1 avocado bench, and DS1.0 in the game Forspoken. In these tests the load times are so close between gen 3 and gen 4 that it's not even worth talking about. Gen 5 isn't going to change that.

By the time DirectStorage is mainstream and used by every game, we will look at current SSDs and scoff our noses at how "dated" they are.

Last edited:
And no games likely ever will. A gen 3 NVMe loads directstorage assets in under 1 second (typically) - The only two demos we have to go by confirm this, the DS1.1 avocado bench, and DS1.0 in the game Forspoken. In these tests the load times are so close between gen 3 and gen 4 that it's not even worth talking about. Gen 5 isn't going to change that.

By the time DirectStorage is mainstream and used by every game, we will look at current SSDs and scoff our noses at how "dated" they are.
Why would we look down our noses at these dated drives if nothing can max them out?

More a turn of phrase, but really they will be too small capacity and superceeded by better models - Do you look at 120GB SSDs now and go "could do with one of those!"? They are still sold, nobody buys them for anything like gaming and the like.

Interesting. Teamgroup Cardea Z540 used ultra-thin graphene heat spreader, it did not needed heatsink with fan.

Ouch $499 for 2TB Gen 5 SSD. That will be £499 inc VAT here on OCUK. :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah no thanks lol.

You will not notice the difference in gaming or day to day normal PC use between a gen 3, gen 4 and gen 5. All of these are so quick anyway that the difference you do notice will be in large file transfers and depending on specific use case scenarios, lots of small file writes/reads because the higher IOPS comes into its own. - But even then...

Does't matter to me anyway.
My old 1TB Samsung 560mb SATA SSD doesn't even matter when I play games, still waiting on the git playing on a 5400rpm laptop drive to load first.

I plan on upgrading, or at least considering upgrading when 2TB Gen4 M.2 are under £100 or 4TB under £200

I plan on upgrading, or at least considering upgrading when 2TB Gen4 M.2 are under £100 or 4TB under £200

You mean like the Crucial P5 Plus 2TB which is currently £163? (close enough :p)- It's no cheapo drive either, has DRAM cache, encryption etc. Anything cheaper won't have DRAM cache, and you do not want to buy a DRAMless NVMe as it will affect performance in basically everything.

Last edited:
It's no cheapo drive either, has DRAM cache, encryption etc. Anything cheaper won't have DRAM cache, and you do not want to buy a DRAMless NVMe as it will affect performance in basically everything.
It really depends on the underlying tech used dram is great for masking the performance deficit on qlc drives not really needed so much on tlc drives.

You mean like the Crucial P5 Plus 2TB which is currently £163? (close enough :p)- It's no cheapo drive either, has DRAM cache, encryption etc. Anything cheaper won't have DRAM cache, and you do not want to buy a DRAMless NVMe as it will affect performance in basically everything.

Nope not worth it, still have 2 1tb SATA SSDs I mostly play multiplayer games, ultimately im either always waiting on the dude with a laptop 5400rpm and if I end up being the slowest well they have to wait for me. There's not really a scenario where more speed makes much difference to how I play games.

I would love a 2tb single m.2 though just to have a single large drive, but I'll set my price point and go with that.

Seems to be a hell of a price war going on atm in the market so its looking it will be sooner rather than later.

Reactions: mrk
Would rather have cheaper gen 4 4TB+ drives. Gen 5 drives use too much power and get hot, they need to drop to the smallest node to try and improve the power/heat but that will make them even more expensive. Probably not going to get reasonably priced gen 5 for a long time.

The actual max bandwidth is less impressive to me now, what I want to know is what is the speeds with passive l cooling cause I have a feeling sustained read/write performance is going to vary wildly between drives based on cooling and power efficiency

Last edited:
The bandwidth is largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things as we have already seen in side by side tests. A 3500MB/s Gen 3 vs a 7100MB/s Gen 4 shows very little DirectStorage load time difference and nobody will practically notice the difference either as we are talking on average decimal point differences in load times between the two in Forspoken and equally small margins in the avocado GPU Deflate demo.

Games also barely use the max read bandwidth of Gen 3 (3500MB/s) as it is, and in general use whether doing production work or gaming, the read/write max recorded speeds aren't anywhere close to the benchmarked CrystalDisk numbers either, for example, here are my numbers of my PC being on for the last few days, I have gamed, downloaded, edited RAW photos, encoded videos, decompressed large files etc:

5ljgQjN.png

1.5GB/sec max recorded write speed from the OS NVMe, and that's with games loading either instantly anyway, or just a few seconds (Cyberpunk as the example here).

One thing that is interesting however is that off the back of the Sabrent/Phison news, it /could/ be that Windows 11 itself leverages DirectStorage (a big maybe...) to instantaneously boot Windows up. the only download to this will be each individual user's machine's startup items, these apps will all depend on if the devs for them update them to support the technology, otherwise you will ultimately be bottlenecked by startup apps that have no knowledge of what Direct Storage etc are and will just add to the startup times of the OS.

I recently saw a help post on Reddit where someone was looking for help to improve Windows 11 response times as everything was slow apparently, his startup page listed multiple apps taking tens of seconds to load at startup, and then the ongoing latency of active background apps and everything. And he had a 5800 X3D system with high end hardware elsewhere.... None of that crap running is going to do any good for improving Windows 11's boot times.

So in short, the hardware has been highly capable since Gen 3, it's the software that has yet to catch up, especially Windows itself.

Exactly as I alluded to in various posts, stick to a fast gen 3 or gen 4 if the prices are close. No difference in real world use and gaming between them all.

The real next gen storage drives will be when the random read and writes are at least somewhat closer to the sustained. A long way until we are there though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom