Is it worst to wait PCIE 5.0 NVME SSD?

Exactly as I alluded to in various posts, stick to a fast gen 3 or gen 4 if the prices are close. No difference in real world use and gaming between them all.

The real next gen storage drives will be when the random read and writes are at least somewhat closer to the sustained. A long way until we are there though.

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Memory manufacturers have decided that current nand flash random performance is "fast enough" for modern PCs so all their RnD goes into pushing faster sequential speeds for server applications because for servers there is no such thing as enough speed

It's worth remembering that all storage drives invented from sata SSD onwards were developed for servers first; no one has been developing storage for desktop users or gamers; we just get the sloppy seconds of Server technology and random read/write generally doesn't matter for servers

There has been a little bit of work done for gamers where some drive manufacturers have tried to develop software that uses predictive algorithms to predict future random read/write work to improve performance for desktop and gaming users but all of them to my knowledge have proven to have little to no effect.

What gamers and desktop users require for better performance is new memory atorage technology - but no one is doing RnD in that, they only do RnD for server storage because that's where the big money is at

Last edited:

Western Digital demonstrated their first Gen 5 SSDs with BiCS8 218-layer 3D TLC controller for desktops and laptops that will finally not require silly massive heatsink with active cooling. Their upcoming Gen 5 mainstream DRAMless SSD used achieved 10.470MB/s read at 4.97 Watts and upcoming Gen 5 performance SSD achieved 14.956MB/s read at 6.53 Watts that will be faster than competitors SSDs with Phison E26 controller. Western Digital will launch Gen 5 SSDs in 2025.

Samsung trademarked upcoming first Gen 5 SSDs 990 EVO Plus and 9100 PRO but no launch dates yet, Samsung probably move launch to 2025 so we have to wait and see.

Look like 2025 will be finally worth to wait for proper fanless Gen 5 SSDs.

Back
Top Bottom