Is the console going to become extinct or evolve?

Associate
The first two Xbox's are and were fantastic. So many great memories. It's the Xbox one where it literally fell off a cliff,and they have just never recovered. My teen kid says hardly anyone plays Xbox at school. It's all Playstation and Nintendo.

Associate
I can see one more console from Microsoft before they just become a games publisher for Nintendo, Sony and PC hardware.
If you’re young enough start stock piling, 40 years from now there will be a huge “Retro” revival ;)

It’s scary to think I’ll be over 80 years old then (if I’m still alive). God I feel old….

Last edited:
Associate
If you’re young enough start stock piling, 40 years from now there will be a huge “Retro” revival ;)
This is so true. Imagine the money we could've made if we'd kept all our games in nice condition. (1982 baby here)
Also I had a 5850 when bitcoin was **** easy to mine. Oh god. Wouldn't have mattered anyway. My ex chucked my big plastic box full of games, trinkets and HDD's in the dump while we were separated (only for about a month) She even posted a video online burning my clothes on the front lawn lol. Don't stick your..,.......

Last edited:
Associate
I've got about 150 games on my shelves and I thought about selling some, I want to hold onto them for the nostalgia but mostly so i can give them to my 15 y.o. son so he will have something to remember me by,or if it comes to it a bit of cash. Sucks getting old doesn't it?

Last edited:
Associate
Imagine someone 40 years from now with a mint copy of Forza Horizon (Xbox 360) how much do you reckon it'd go for?

As for consoles future,I think it's inevitable everything is going digital and streaming. I absolutely hate that thought because I grew up at the perfect time and watched it all evolve in real time. But times change and it is what it is.

Soldato
I've got about 150 games on my shelves and I thought about selling some, I want to hold onto them for the nostalgia but mostly so i can give them to my 15 y.o. son so he will have something to remember me by,or if it comes to it a bit of cash. Sucks getting old doesn't it?

Sure does, though us older people can at least look back and say we had the best times for gaming, sure there will always been good games but nothing beats the constant flow of epic games we once had and how easy it was with just plug and play, no worries about online connectivity, silly accounts needed to play something, waiting for patches to fix broken new releases, worrying about the best settings, list goes on.

Associate
Yep. I remember my parents got me a master system 2 for Xmas and I loved it. Came with Sonic the hedgehog. One of my semi- friends came round Xmas morning to see what I got. He was mortified lol. He said "my sonic doesn't look like that" Of course he got a Mega Drive with Sonic. He left abruptly lol. But I found out by accident if you turned it on without a cartridge Alex Kidd in miracle world was built in! I loved that game as a kid. I did have another friend who had a SNES and I played F-Zero and Mario world etc. Oh to be young again.

Last edited:
Associate
Someone should make a thread for something like 'your best childhood gaming memories' ; It would definitely make for some fun reading.

Soldato
Bought an Xbox series X got about 4 games on it and haven't touched it for a good year. Switch console is pretty good and my wife who isn't a gamer does go on it. Always grew up with playstation but haven't bothered as all the exclusives are on pc.

Upgraded my pc and haven't looked at console gaming. Still a massive gamer but it's only on pc and a bit on switch.

Associate
I've had decades of fantastic gaming. One of my favourite times was when I went from HD3850 to HD5850. I was playing Dirt 2 and 3 one time. 60fps/1080 almost flawless. My cousin had Dirt 3 on 360 and I went round for a darts tournament and he was playing Dirt 3. I honestly couldn't believe how terrible it looked lol. Barely 30fps,sub 720p,all the aliasing and rubbish textures. He looked severely disappointed when I laid it out to him. PC Master Race and all that! ;p

Last edited:
Soldato
Likewise. As long as Nvidia are charging £500 for a mid-range graphics card consoles aren't going anywhere!

If anything I think a more pertinent question is whether "gaming PC's" are going to become extinct as I can see many beginning to question whether they actually offer enough added value above and beyond consoles/streaming to warrant the additional cost......... :p
You get exclusives from both xbox and Playstation on PC, so you need to compare the cost to two consoles.

The second part I have been seeing for the last 30 years and yet PC is still here and stronger than ever.

Soldato
I can see one more console from Microsoft before they just become a games publisher for Nintendo, Sony and PC hardware.

Next Gen rumour mill:

Next Gen Xbox coming in 2026 and will basically be running Windows to natively play PC games, effectively making Xbox a brand only. On top of this, the device Xbox releases will be a reference piece of hardware and Microsoft will allow other companies to make their own versions of the Xbox within Microsoft's rules

It basically sounds like what Valve tried to do years ago with the Steambox. Valve was too early and now Microsoft wants to capitalise on the trend set by the Steamdeck

If true this rumour is true, it would also explain why the Xbox CEO has said multiple times that the next Xbox will be the biggest performance leap - it's easy to get a huge performance leap when you replace a power limited console with an actual PC

Associate
Problem is, if MS bring out what is essentially a PC, why not just build, or use, your own ? There has to be something "custom" about this to make it attractive to consumers eg. a new streamlined OS designed for gaming ( similar to what's on Steam Deck ). And as for "the biggest leap in performance" ... just not possible based on current technology. In my eyes, it's all marketing BS from a company that's in its death throes and trying to stay relevant in the console space. In my opinion, Microsoft's last hurrah will be a handheld device which I'm sure will be adequate. But it won't sell in the quantities that Satya Nadella/shareholders desire ie. tens of millions. For comparison, Steam Deck sales are around the 4 million mark. The future for MS/Xbox is as a multi-platform publisher. Nothing will convince me otherwise.

Associate
'Xbox as a Service' rather than a platform.

PS: those Discord leaks in January that talked about Xbox exclusives on PS & Switch and third-party Xboxes seem to be on point so far.

Associate
Problem is, if MS bring out what is essentially a PC, why not just build, or use, your own ?
Exactly I personally think Xbox as a brand will be done in a few years it's not worked out for them since Xbox 360 which is a shame loved the OG Xbox and the 360 but since then failed massively. I still have owned all there consoles like I have playstation. Just feel playstation has been more active and made the right moves.

Associate
There has to be something "custom" about this to make it attractive to consumers eg. a new streamlined OS designed for gaming ( similar to what's on Steam Deck ).
I think they're going to do exactly this. It's going to be a PC with a custom OS skin which functions basically like Steam Big Picture. All games will be made for PC and thus work on actual PCs and the "Xbox PC". Maybe you'll be able to upgrade bits I don't know. I haven't really thought it through.

Associate
I think they're going to do exactly this. It's going to be a PC with a custom OS skin which functions basically like Steam Big Picture. All games will be made for PC and thus work on actual PCs and the "Xbox PC". Maybe you'll be able to upgrade bits I don't know. I haven't really thought it through.
But would this be enough ? I'd imagine in time this OS would be available for Windows/PC users, at which point we're back to the debate of why own the Xbox PC versus building/using your own ? And if MS restricted access to their device only, then I could see someone else stepping in and taking advantage of the situation eg. Valve making a PC version of their Steam Deck OS.

The best strategy for MS is simply to make games that everyone wants to play. It boggles my mind that Phil Spencer ( and the other idiots in charge of Xbox ) can't recognise this.

Last edited:
Associate
But would this be enough ? I'd imagine in time this OS would be available for Windows/PC users, at which point we're back to the debate of why own the Xbox PC versus building/using your own ? And if MS restricted access to their device only, then I could see someone else stepping in and taking advantage of the situation eg. Valve making a PC version of their Steam Deck OS.

The best strategy for MS is simply to make games that everyone wants to play. It boggles my mind that Phil Spencer ( and the other idiots in charge of Xbox ) can't recognise this.

I think the point is they have to do SOMETHING. Xbox is unsustainable at this point and supporting that with the exclusives it requires is completely at odds with Microsoft's wider strategy. But they don't want to give up on their walled garden. They want you buying Minecraft on their services and buying all those MTX via their walled garden. But without any console sales they can't get at or grow this network revenue. So this will be essentially their console/Steam competitor driven by Xbox OS which most users will buys games from (i.e. the same way most Android users don't sideload) and then also the new App for Windows with backwards compatibility support (for old Xbox & 360 libraries). Eventually mandating games like Minecraft, Forza Horizon and COD all start to use it. All integrated, all PC & cloud focused. And then released on Android, iOS and Mac if required. It could also transition into a 'content' pass for Microsoft games moving forward if it doesn't succeed.

I don't disagree that they shouldn't just become a multi-platform publisher as that's where I think they are heading in the long-term anyway but they want that '30% action'. It's simply too valuable. Apple. Google, Sony and Nintendo are all enjoying gigantic profits (and growth) from this and they don't want to give up on this yet.

Back
Top Bottom