• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the i7 8700 still going to be a decent gaming CPU for the next few years

Soldato
Obligatory "wait until Ryzen 3000 to assess all options" comment.
This!

Even digital foundry is tad concerned that because 2020 consoles will have 8 core, 16 thread ryzen 2 chips that it will be the new baseline from next year - meaning that desktop CPUs with less than 8 cores could start to struggle.

For this reason I would say, the 8700 is a sweet gaming CPU for the rest of this year and probably most of next year too - but from 2021 onward there is no guarantee that it will still perform at a good level

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still rocking a 6700K and not in any hurry to upgrade - it still performs like a champ with any game I've thrown at it.

An 8700 should be good for at least a couple more years I would think!

Associate
This!

Even digital foundry is tad concerned that because 2020 consoles will have 8 core, 16 thread ryzen 2 chips that it will be the new baseline from next year - meaning that desktop CPUs with less than 8 cores could start to struggle.

For this reason I would say, the 8700 is a sweet gaming CPU for the rest of this year and probably most of next year too - but from 2021 onward there is no guarantee that it will still perform at a good level
thats it once console get 8 core ryzens game developers will start optimising for amd,6 core and below will be on borrowed time

Soldato
This!

Remember 6core cpu's are not struggling at all at the moment, so even when games come out that can take advantage of more cores, the 6core cpu's still wont be struggling.. Plus gaming is more gpu then cpu demanding anyway.

Soldato
Like I said when games come out that take advantage of 8+ cores, doesn't automatically mean that the 6 or less core cpu's will struggle in any way. Just look at the i5 2500k cpus with 4cores/4threads, they are not struggling all that badly in games at the moment, so a 6core/12threads will last a good while, especially if its overclocked near 5ghz

Soldato
Like I said when games come out that take advantage of 8+ cores, doesn't automatically mean that the 6 or less core cpu's will struggle in any way. Just look at the i5 2500k cpus with 4cores/4threads, they are not struggling all that badly in games at the moment, so a 6core/12threads will last a good while, especially if its overclocked near 5ghz

true, but even a non HT 8 core beats the 6 core in some games/software - 8700k vs 9700k. AMD's launch will devistate intel, if the 16/12core ryzen 3 cpus launch, it will make the mid range 8 core plus, budget - 6 cores

Soldato
true, but even a non HT 8 core beats the 6 core in some games/software - 8700k vs 9700k. AMD's launch will devistate intel, if the 16/12core ryzen 3 cpus launch, it will make the mid range 8 core plus, budget - 6 cores
In performance terms and benchmarks sure, but "can a newer CPU beat it" is not the same question as "will it be a decent gaming CPU". The 4770/4790 chips have smashed games for a few years now. 8700 represents the same sort of role.

Soldato

For my needs, just as long as games run and play smooth with decent gfx, I dont care about the numbers and figures. Plus everything will run much slower on consoles then on a half decent pc, nomatter how fast the console is.

Soldato
Im running i7 3770k at 4.5 + 1080ti and pg279q and it does not struggle in any game. I might upgrade next year :D

Thats 4cores 8 threads. proves my point....... Who cares about numbers and figures, get this Im still using a R9 290 gpu, and it still runs plenty smooth enough with half decent gfx with the latest games,

Associate
The only game in my collection that actually pushes my 6700K is Battlefield 1 (and probably any of the recent BF series), and that's mainly due to the online code I think which favours more cores/threads. It's not maxed, but it does give it a good workout.

Provided you're not bottlenecking your GPU and still getting the FPS to keep your monitor and eyes happy, there's little reason to upgrade. Personally I'd only consider it at this point if there was a change in memory (e.g. DDR5) or PCI bus standards.

Back
Top Bottom