• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the i7 8700 still going to be a decent gaming CPU for the next few years

Caporegime
six core with high core clock will be fine for 2 years easy. would i pay £1000 for a system based around one. = no. thats why the deal was on. we in a transistion period where at the moment for gaming the optimum cpu for gaming you want a high clocked 6 core chip ideally at 4.5ghz. soon 8 cores will be standard within a year and 4.5ghz.

Permabanned
No, but a Ryzen 1200 isn't 6 cores?
I understand 4 cores are on their way out, but 6?

no the 1200 is just 4 cores, When i said i5's are on there way out i mean the old i5's(4cores)...(intel messed with the names)
4 core's are on the way out for gaming, but for other thing there still overkill, now days there is massive range of core/thread options in the desktop market.

Permabanned
The only game in my collection that actually pushes my 6700K is Battlefield 1 (and probably any of the recent BF series)

in BF V my 6700 @ 4.4Ghz see's around 50/60% usage, the i5 at about 4.2Ghz was at 100%
the i5 could push out 80FPS at max setting 1080(with dips into the low 50's), the i7 go upto my 120FPS limit.

the GF monitor is only 75Hz so with v sync on there is no reason why with this type of game the CPU cant do a few more years yet

Soldato
Im running i7 3770k at 4.5 + 1080ti and pg279q and it does not struggle in any game. I might upgrade next year :D
It doesn’t struggle because most games are still coded and continue to be coded for four powerful cores. (Yes I know about Battlefield!)

So the question is how many cores do you want to be sitting idle?

The answer is total number of cpu cores minus 4!

Soldato
This also depends on your use case

Even in 2019, a 2500/2600k “still cuts it” if you’re not focused on high refresh gaming. It does an OK job at keeping frame rates playable but does lose performance you would otherwise gain with a modern CPU.

And that could end up being the fate for the 8700 and other 6 cores - it’s not like they will suddenly just suck overnight but gradually they will forego framerate to better chips, but this isn’t that important unless you want to always have the best performance from your system possible and/or you’re using a 120hz+ monitor

Soldato
thats it once console get 8 core ryzens game developers will start optimising for amd,6 core and below will be on borrowed time

You do realise right a core is reserved for OS on consoles?

Plus this will only affect games that are console ports from those specific consoles and not all of them.

The reason we had issues lately is due to nvidia's hacking in DX11 which I posted about only a few days ago on the amd thread, I wonder how may here bothered to read the info tho ;) The issue making HTT provide better performance in certain games was actually due to nvidia and not game developers.

Finally games take time to develop, it took about 2-3 years for the ps4 to even be worth buying because the games library was too small. So even if the doomsday scenario is correct, I will say 3-4 years at the very minimum. But I dont think it will be correct, dev's would be stupid to push out 90% of the PC market.

Soldato
in terms of the CHIP and nothing else.. will be fine! heck even i7 4 cores now get a new lease of life with DX12 being well implemented into games .

even with next gen consoles coming out 2020/21 will still take developers to code for higher threads and doing it well, whilst still most PC developers will try to get their games running Okay and the basic of systems for MAX sales!

Soldato
currently on ps4 a core is reserved for OS, so recording, streaming, background downloads etc.

This might be raised to 2 cores meaning 6/12 for games.

Soldato
Physical cores are always stronger then threads, why 8 core 9700k pulls ahead of 8700k

I think I read on this forum actually some time back about thread va core data and actual cores I belive were about significantly faster than a hyperthreaded “core” which is why the 2 cores is faster than the 4 threads

Permabanned
I think I read on this forum actually some time back about thread va core data and actual cores I belive were about significantly faster than a hyperthreaded “core” which is why the 2 cores is faster than the 4 threads

Well yes the typerthread users the leftover power from the real core. But in games 4c8t is better than 4c.

Soldato
Well yes the typerthread users the leftover power from the real core. But in games 4c8t is better than 4c.
Hyperthreading has been shown to generally decrease performance or have no impact. This may change as games demand more threads to run at all, but for now hyperthreading is a boon to tasks like encoding and compilation, not gaming. It takes scheduling resources away from primary threads.

Back
Top Bottom