• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the NVidia RTX performance even worse than previously reported?

Would not be surprised to see a fairly early price cut.....

You won't see any movement in price until at least well in to Q1 2019, Nvidia now has all the arrogance and swagger of Apple & Nintendo, price cuts would be seen as demeaning, an admission of failure and damaging to the brand.

Nvidia, like Apple & Nintendo have huge cash reserves, they'll sit it out until they're ready with a die shrink this time next year.

And If I were AMD, I'd ignore the Ray Tracing path and bring out 7nm cards that trounce the 2070 & 2080 in traditional raster graphics for $100 less, that will get them back in the game, and then the 800lb gorilla of Intel enters the market in 2020.

GPU User benchmark echoes the sentiment:

NVIDIA's RTX 2080 is based on its new Turing architecture which boasts new AI and ray tracing technology that could eventually result in better GPU performance. Unfortunately there are currently no games which can take advantage of the new RTX capabilities. The early 2080 benchmarks only exhibit a modest (20%) performance improvement over the 1080 which considering the new price tag of $800 for the Founders Edition is hard to stomach. The 2080 features 2944 CUDA cores, a base/boost speed of 1515/1710 MHz, 8 GB of GDDR6 memory and a memory bandwidth of 448 GB/s. NVIDIA have also released the 2080 Ti which has marginally higher specs together with a jaw dropping price tag of $1200 for the Founders Edition. Unfortunately for gamers and other consumers, AMD’s top end GPUs such as the Vega 64 still lag NVIDIA's previous flagship 1080 Ti by 30% so there is very little pressure on NVIDIA to offer better value for money. The 2080 only has 8GB of RAM which is fine today but will likely haunt any early adopters that plan to keep the card for more than two years

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080/3918vs4026

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...launch-you-cant-benchmark-goals/#243f735514c5

And now Linus Tech Tips (via Forbes) is panning NVidia with a card he says he can't benchmark because there is no software which can make use of its new features:

"This is the kind of **** that gives PC gaming a bad name [...] That's what RTX is today -- it doesn't do anything. I can't benchmark goals. You're making it really hard to recommend this thing for the function that is right in the name of the product!

[Linus] Sebastian isn't some outlier. The general consensus among tech press is that yes, the RTX 2080 Ti is the fastest GPU in the world (and you'll pay for the privilege of owning it), but the performance gains of the RTX 2080 are disappointing compared to prior generations. Pick a review, any review, and it will conclude that the RTX 2080 trades blows with a GTX 1080 Ti with reviewers expressing disappointment mixed with potential promise.
  • "The RTX 2080 is poor value today. NVidia's own GTX 1080 Ti offers superior value at $150 less [...]" ~Gamers Nexus
  • "Until then, I'm not exactly sure how to feel about the current state of the RTX 2080 and the RTX 2080 Ti. $1,200 is a lot of money to guarantee locked 4K/60fps performance at near-highest settings in your favorite PC games, while the wait and additional cost of the RTX 2080 feels like a lot to ask for when the above benchmarks tell us that the 1080 Ti still pretty much packs the same punch." ~Ars Technica
  • "For a release we've been waiting quite a bit for, the lack of a substantial performance increase in traditional gaming scenarios for the RTX 2080 is disappointing at best. On the other hand, at $1200 the RTX 2080 Ti has great performance, but is a difficult sell to anyone but the most die-hard of PC gaming enthusiasts." ~PC Perspective
  • "AMD’s Vega 64 is horrible value and yet you’ll be paying even more per frame for the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti. That’s probably all you need to know." ~TechSpot

And If I were AMD, I'd ignore the Ray Tracing path and bring out 7nm cards that trounce the 2070 & 2080 in traditional raster graphics for $100 less, that will get them back in the game, and then the 800lb gorilla of Intel enters the market in 2020.

There is a rumour of the next gen consoles having a very nice surprise, which may turn out to be ray tracing. Remember that it's Microsoft behind the ray tracing push even though every muppet is talking about Nvidia.

2080s gunna drop hard. 1080ti beat them in literally most games. 850 quid for a decent one vs a 600 1080ti. i know what id have. big drops incoming.

I don't think they will drop the price by anything meaningfull,nvidia are so arrogant and full of themselves,you only had to watch the press release video to see that.

I don't think they will drop the price by anything meaningfull,nvidia are so arrogant and full of themselves,you only had to watch the press release video to see that.

The presentation had me wishing someone jumped on the stage and punted Jensen straight in the swingers, it got incredibly tedious.

Email from one etailer today had a 2080 on a 'daily deal' a few days after release!

Still looks like most of the 1080ti inventory has been depleted in the retail channels so the only choice may be a 2080 soon for that sort of level of performance with the 2070 1080 and 1070ti occupying roughly their current price points for a while longer.

Not really had any time for gaming since I had mine yesterday (other than a little testing) but I am *very* happy with my Ti, blowing the doors off my old Ti with the new stuff yet to come :D :cool:

The prices are high but Linus is a click bait, advertising, whiney a** muppet. Funny how all of a sudden he's getting praise because he's agreeing with commenters in forums. Whatever he says about these cards he's in a win win situation.

As soon as I heard his piece on did on 4k UHD I knew the guy was clueless.

DF and OC3D are the only ones that have the right idea about the 2000 series, that being a tech showcase.

Software will arrive in months, wait and see how it turns out.

Consoles are the same, takes months or years for software to come along that shows it's capabilities. Same situation here.

So many have lost their minds over this release it's embarrassing in many ways.

So in testing the 1080Ti against the 2080 non-Ti is showing how much improvement for the new card in existing titles?

-edit
Well, in a nutshell, it is very close to the previous-generation GTX 1080 Ti. If we look at the average FPS difference across our tested games, at 1440p the RTX 2080 is almost exactly 5% faster, while at 4K the RTX 2080 is just over 6% faster.

This is what I can determine from some reviews.

Last edited:
Do you think they released the cards early because they don't want people to see how much a massive performance hit ray tracing will have on your games you won't get nowhere near 4k 60fps with it switched on.

Do you think they released the cards early because they don't want people to see how much a massive performance hit ray tracing will have on your games you won't get nowhere near 4k 60fps with it switched on.

I'd be surprised if anyone interested in one of these cards doesn't know about the performance hit, tombraider and BFv running at 1080p with RTX effects was reported on quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom