Is there any point to full ATX for a gaming build?

Soldato
It can be confusing I used to just buy eatx and ATX boards and I did light overclocking and didn't use 90% of the features on the board. I still won't sting on a board but I make sure it's the right one for me.

Soldato
Full Tower FTW. You need a case that can accommodate 12 drives and 2 PSUs.

Go big or go home ;)

To be fair it is a bit on the large side, but I'll never need to buy another case, can't beat an all brushed aluminium lian li. Think mines getting on for 14 years old now.

CvjlHhN.jpg.png

QHS77Ck.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
What I need for a gaming pc is one big SSD, support to have 16gb-32gb ram and PCI express x16 to run one graphics card. Itx can do that that just as good as eatx boards. I currently have a itx build in an phantek evolve itx case that has room for my h115 aio and my 1080 hybrid. Really can't argue with that.

I'd argue get an m2 and a separate SSD for Game store so It doesn't hammer for OS disk.

Soldato
Yes, so am I holding back my system then with having everything on 1 ssd. If I had a separate one just for os oould I notice a difference, as my system is fairly nippy.

Soldato
I sincerely doubt you're holding anything back by having everything on a single SSD, even a SATA one. OS and games don't demand that much data throughput, certainly not to the extent you'd see a tangible benefit from running OS and games independently.

But then, never discount psychology and perception. If you "feel" it's slower running from a single drive then by all means run 2 and enjoy your system :)

Soldato
I went mATX largely because the case I wanted was mATX. I could have gone for the ATX version of the case but it was more expensive and the mATX was plenty big enough for my needs.

About the only disappointing aspect was that in the entire line-up of Asus ROG Z370 motherboards, the mATX versions (one with Wifi, one without) are the only ones that don't have an addressable RGB connector. Totally absurd.

Soldato
...are the only ones that don't have an addressable RGB connector

I never understood that either. I thought at first it was a release date thing and the Micro-ATX boards came out before Asus started adding addressable headers to everything, but no. The E and F boards came out a little before the G.

So basically yeah, Asus are being absurd.

Back
Top Bottom