• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

My "stab in the dark" based on rumours is that the 4070 is shaping up to be a card that requires DLSS to perform acceptably

Glass half full says the 4070 will be twice as fast as a 5700XT/2070 Super at 1440p which puts it neck and neck with a 6900XT/3090 (non ti).

If the 4070 comes in at 699 GBP inc vat, many of those people that were caught out by the pandemic and had to skip the 6800/3070, will jump into this card on release simply because the used market for 6900XT/3090s is crazy.

I am actually more OK with the 4070 at 699 than I am with the 4070ti at 899, especially if Nvidia do launch the (supposedly) leaked 4070 FE. We talked about it in the other locked thread but AMD really need to get the 7900XT AIBs down to 899inc vat.

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure that RTX 4070 will have almost the exact same spec as the mobile RTX 4080 (AD104) GPU:

The same 58 cores, ROP and TMU count, but with the GPU clocked much higher, probably 2600Mhz.
Also, GDDR6 memory too, probably the same 16Gbps spec?

In that case, the memory bandwidth would be 384.0 GB/s, so not great, not terrible. Something that Nvidia can cheap out on, I suppose.

It was a similar story for the RTX 3070 and RTX 3070 TI Mobile, same slightly cut down spec, both with the same GDDR6 VRAM spec (vs the full 48 core GA104 die):
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070.c3674
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070-ti-mobile.c3852

The high tier laptop GPUs take priority though, because they are basically like 'white gold', in terms of profitability.

Last edited:
Out of interest, is anyone going to buy a laptop with an RTX 4080 mobile GPU?

It's looking like it will perform faster than a desktop RTX 3070 (but it has a bit lower memory bandwidth apparently).

These should be launched on 08/02/2023.

Last edited:
I am actually more OK with the 4070 at 699 than I am with the 4070ti at 899, especially if Nvidia do launch the (supposedly) leaked 4070 FE.
There have been 4070ti models on here at £799 from launch though & there are 2 on here now ? I do think you'd be crazy to buy any more expensive 4070ti though. I'd like to see the 7900xt come down too. It's probably a bit better than a 4070ti, but £100 premium is too much imo.

Last edited:
I am actually more OK with the 4070 at 699 than I am with the 4070ti at 899, especially if Nvidia do launch the (supposedly) leaked 4070 FE. We talked about it in the other locked thread but AMD really need to get the 7900XT AIBs down to 899inc vat.

I suspect Nvidia is thinking that they don't even need to bother with FE / Reference models for the 'Mid end' GPUs.

It seems clear so far, that Nvidia is going to prioritise laptop GPUs over the mid end RTX 4000 series desktop cards (and these are very similar to desktop models, some of which could have probably been adapted for use as reference model GPUs instead).

They will sell all of the RTX 4070s easily. Because the numbers of dies produced at the mid/lower end should be greater, they can probably try to set prices close to MSRP just by having a healthy supply of AD104 cards.

It's not the mid end cards they are concerned about selling, I think they only worry about selling the super expensive cards like the RTX 4070 TI, 4080 and 4090.

No issue with RTX 4070 TI sales from what I hear.

AMD doesn't seem to be putting much effort into producing reference models (none at all in the UK), so not much competition there. If AMD seriously wanted to compete, this is how they would do it, by fixing prices and releasing lots of reference model cards. Never happened with RDNA2, but I suppose not surprising because they never managed to produce enough. It's disappointing that AMD were patting themselves on the back for even producing any reference models at all for RDNA2.

Last edited:
Quite a significant difference in warranty claims for graphics card producing companies here:

2023-01-30-image-j_1100.webp

AsRock, Gainward and Inno3D all have similarly low warranty claims within 2 years.

Palit does a bit better than I'd expect (some of their designs look a bit cheap imo).

The return rate on AMD, Sapphire and XFX cards doesn't reflect that well on AMD GPUs.

No data on how long it takes AsRock to process and Inno3D to process claims though (but it does take 13 days on average for AsRock to process motherboard claims).

From here:
https://www.techspot.com/news/97425...ble-graphics-cards-motherboards-warranty.html

The data is from a Swiss retailer.

I'd guess that many RMA claims would be related to cooler failure /faults. Even for expensive graphics cards, companies don't always use fans with a decent design and build quality.

Last edited:
Quite a significant difference in warranty claims for graphics card producing companies here:

2023-01-30-image-j_1100.webp

AsRock, Gainward and Inno3D all have similarly low warranty claims within 2 years.

Palit does a bit better than I'd expect (some of their designs look a bit cheap imo).

The return rate on AMD, Sapphire and XFX cards doesn't reflect that well on AMD GPUs.

No data on how long it takes AsRock to process and Inno3D to process claims though (but it does take 13 days on average for AsRock to process motherboard claims).

From here:
https://www.techspot.com/news/97425...ble-graphics-cards-motherboards-warranty.html

The data is from a Swiss retailer.

I'd guess that many RMA claims would be related to cooler failure /faults. Even for expensive graphics cards, companies don't always use fans with a decent design and build quality.
Meaningless without knowing how many they sell. Sapphire could sell 500 cards and everyone else may sell 10.

Last edited:
It's not meaningless, the text below says that each brand sold at least 300.

I doubt you will find more detailed data on PC component returns.

Still can sque the results quite significantly. One could have sold 301 the other 600 for all we know. Also AMD, Sapphire and Powercolor will the high on that list due to the 7900xtx cooler issues with the MBA cards. Cooler was manufactured by Coolermaster apparently so the results aren't necessarily showing the quality of the gpu board design.

Biggest outtake from that imo is Sapphires turnaround time. 3 days. Very nice

Last edited:
0.3 for the lowest return rate vs 2.5% for the highest, I'd call it significant.

It's more likely that they are selling well over 300, especially over 2 years.

Anything above 1% over 2 years I'd probably avoid.

With the exception of reference models, average reliability of these might be reduced just because of a 'bad batch'.

GPU failures don't seem to be common, I don't think there'd be much (or any) difference between Nvidia and AMD here.

I doubt that the introduction of GDDR6X has helped in terms of reliability, due to the higher temps.

Fans seem to fail a lot on graphics cards too, you would have thought this would be an easy problem to solve, as you can buy decent case fans that are rated for 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Fans seem to fail a lot on graphics cards too, you have thought this would be an easy problem to solve, as you can buy decent case fans that are rated for 5-10 years.
Another point is that desktop fans may well fail just as often, but as it is a far cheaper component there is simply less of a big deal when replacing it.

I've never had case fans fail in just a few months, but there's definitely cases of this happening with some graphics cards.

Yeah, it was just a thought. I've never had a gpu or case fan fail, but I wouldn't have thought that was true of everyone.

If a fan fails, it's probably replaced without too much concern by many, whereas if a fan fails on a GPU I'd imagine a greater proportion of people would report it, that's all.

Inexcusable that they still do this, during the mining boom Gigabyte were known for using crappy sleeve bearings and I think they still use them on their low-end eagle models even now.

£800 card this:
"Graphene nano lubricant can extend the life of sleeve bearing fan by 2.1 times, close to the life of double ball bearing, and is quieter."

Pretty sure Sapphire & Powercolor have twin ball bearings across their whole range.

RTX 3080s (and higher tier cards) apparently have been out of stock since December in the US:

Wonder if that means the RTX 4070 will be available in about a month?

But RX 6000 series cards still in stock, (except for the 6900 XT).

Also, still no sign of Navi32 chips in laptops, which doesn't bode well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom