• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

I had a used RTX 3080 before and it performed well until one of the fans started making very loud grinding noises. I think it was probably just a problem with the fans EVGA used.

Last edited:
I think the next card in Nvidia's series is gonna be the same price as the RTX 3080. Many people were glad to pay £650 for the RTX 3080, so they will charge that again. There's been some inflation, so I doubt it will be less than that.

I don't think it will be an affordable card on launch, unless there is a Founders Edition version.

One problem Nvidia has, is that lots of people will be looking at buying used RTX 3080s (because there won't be a big performance difference between the next AD104 card and the RTX 3080) again when they launch less expensive RTX 4000 series cards - which of course they won't profit from at all. So I think they will need a reference model to help keep prices closer to MSRP.

Prices are slowly coming down on used RTX 3080s, some cards are selling for ~£500 in auctions...

Last edited:
I think the next card in Nvidia's series is gonna be the same price as the RTX 3080. Many people were glad to pay that for the RTX 3080, so they will charge that again. There's been some inflation, so I doubt it will be less than that.

I don't think it will be an affordable card on launch, unless there is a Founders Edition version.

One problem Nvidia has, is that lots of people will be looking at buying used RTX 3080s (because there won't be a big performance difference between the next AD104 card and the RTX 3080) again when they launch less expensive RTX 4000 series cards - which of course they won't profit from at all. So I think they will need a reference model to help keep prices closer to MSRP.

Nvidia do not see this as a problem, buy our 2 years old card at above MSRP or pay even more for the new one........

Didn't the 'leakers' miss the fact that Ampere had 2x the shader units per core?

Which was the biggest design change from the previous gen.

Basically proving that they just guess.

Last edited:
Hopefully people will stop buying used RTX 3070 TIs soon... I'm pretty sure all these cards do is push up prices of RTX 3080s.

The good news is that RTX 3080 used prices are gradually coming down.

Last edited:
Wno on earth plays cyberpunk anyhow? Its benchmark tool for people to say "..but RT" almost no one actually games it and I own a copy.

The game for people who don't like gaming really but do like looking at pretty things on a 4K monitor, then screenshotting it, then talking endlessly about settings, FPS and RT.

Last edited:
I'd buy a RX 6800, but it can't quite handle Cyberpunk at 1440p, at 60 FPS:

It looks like it can handle Warhammer III though:

I'm leaning towards either a RX 6800 XT or RTX 3080, but both are still outside what I'm willing to pay.
For Cyberpunk FSR 2 changes the performance a lot, particularly on an RX 6800. I can do 4K FSR Performance @ 60 fps with my RX 6800, the only thing I turn down is volumetric clouds & fog to medium because they crush performance but visually the difference is minimal. Granted, I've actually played this game with every resolution, aspect ratio and settings combination you can think of, so trust me when I say it actually does quite well in Cyberpunk.
Tho tbh I'd personally wait for the RTX 4070, I think that will have the killer price/perf this generation (like the RX 6800 had the gen before). Below the 4070 it looks horrific (based on leaks) so I wouldn't hold out hope. As for RDNA 3 it's frankly not even on the radar, just a complete joke.
In general I can't recommend waiting around, because that stopped being a viable strategy since years ago. Better to buy & enjoy rather than hope for whatever meagre savings comes months/years later. Unless you can snag a good deal on the OCUK marketplace, it's all the same.

Yup, the RX 6800 seems reasonably priced for the performance it offers atm. But I'd rather wait just a little longer.

I sort of agree about waiting, except that used prices do seem to be coming down. It's not easy to get a good deal though, as stock is limited.

If you have the cash to spend, I'd say it's not worth waiting (if it's going to be too frustrating).

Last edited:
Yup, the RX 6800 seems reasonably priced for the performance it offers atm. But I'd rather wait just a little longer.

I sort of agree about waiting, except that used prices do seem to be coming down. It's not easy to get a good deal though, as stock is limited.

If you have the cash to spend, I'd say it's not worth waiting (if it's going to be too frustrating).
There have never been good stock levels for the 6800. OcUK has a £550 placeholder, that's it. Really hard to get these.

Lets assume the rumoured specs of the RTX 4070 are false. For one thing, 5,888 shaders would be the same amount as the RTX 3070...

If Nvidia released a version of the top AD104 chip, but without the GDDR6X, would anyone here buy it, if it was priced £100 lower?

With GDDR6X, the total memory bandwidth for AD104 is 504.2 GB/s (assuming 192 bit memory bus). Less than the RTX 3070 TI!

With GDDR6 (clocked at 18gbps) it would be 432 GB/s, similar to the RX 6750 XT:

Or, they could use even faster GDDR6 (which would probably put it too close to the TI, at 480 GB/s.

Either way, not much of a decrease.

The idea is basically exactly what they did with the RTX 3070 and RTX 3070 TI (one interesting thing about these cards, is that the RTX 3070 has a TDP that is 70w lower), the only difference being that with the RTX 4000 series, the TI was released first.

So, you'd see perhaps just over 5% difference in performance (on average).

EDIT - The RTX 3070 had 2 fewer SMs than the RTX 3070 TI, so perhaps the RTX 4070 will have 2 fewer SMs also (58). So, that would result in 7,424 shaders.

Seems as though the RTX 4060 TI is going to use GDDR6 VRAM (apparently 18gbps), so there's no reason at all why this wouldn't be the case for the RTX 4070.

If they released this card, it would likely be very competitive (in terms of performance) with any Navi32 based cards released by AMD...

EDIT 2 - 7,424 happens to be the same number of shaders used in the AD104 based RTX 4080 mobile GPUs.

Both of these mobile chips use GDDR6 VRAM.

The number of cores (58) seems to have been confirmed here by a Geekbench result:
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ature-7424-cuda-cores-42-faster-than-rtx-3080

I think we will basically need to wait and see what they do with RTX 4080 mobile chips (obviously these mean mega bucks for Nvidia), shouldn't be long before these launch.

Nvidia says "From February 8th, our critically acclaimed GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs come to laptops with the launch of GeForce RTX 4090 and 4080 laptops" with other GPUs in the series coming on 22nd Feb.
Link:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-40-series-laptops-available-february-8/

Last edited:
Lets assume the rumoured specs of the RTX 4070 are false. For one thing, 5,888 shaders would be the same amount as the RTX 3070...

If Nvidia released a version of the top AD104 chip, but without the GDDR6X, would anyone here buy it, if it was priced £100 lower?

With GDDR6X, the total memory bandwidth for AD104 is 504.2 GB/s (assuming 192 bit memory bus). Less than the RTX 3070 TI!

With GDDR6 (clocked at 18gbps) it would be 432 GB/s, similar to the RX 6750 XT:
My "stab in the dark" based on rumours is that the 4070 is shaping up to be a card that requires DLSS to perform acceptably, i.e. to reduce memory usage and bandwidth requirements at 1440p and 4k resolutions in modern workloads... I have nothing against DLSS, but it needs to be available on every. single. title. current and past for me to consider buying such a product.

My "stab in the dark" based on rumours is that the 4070 is shaping up to be a card that requires DLSS to perform acceptably, i.e. to reduce memory usage and bandwidth requirements at 1440p and 4k resolutions in modern workloads... I have nothing against DLSS, but it needs to be available on every. single. title. current and past for me to consider buying such a product.
Both players seem to be taking turns at shafting consumers, I wonder if someone will try to sue for collusion...

Both players seem to be taking turns at shafting consumers, I wonder if someone will try to sue for collusion...
I've been pretty sceptical about collusion and price fixing over the past 4 months, but the situation is getting suspicious. It will be interesting to see financial reporting on the amount of sales & stock held.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom