IT Salaries

Caporegime
I went from desktop support, to senior technician, server admin, solaris admin, global mail admin, app support (HPUX, Solaris etc..), technical team lead. So career has gone Windows --> Solaris --> HPUX --> Solaris --> Team Lead with mixed *nix/Wintel environment.
What company if you dont mind answering?

Soldato
Im an IT technician at a school. This is my first job and the qualifications i have are some GCSE's and CompTIA A+. I am on just under 22k, so seems like you might be getting underpaid.

Soldato
OP
Can you define server stuff please? Thats quite a broad range, what are your strong points from those you have listed?

Not much 'server stuff' really. I have recently setup an old DC with 2003 and will be looking at putting Exchange on it when my boss has a bit more time. I monitor the Citrix server to make sure they are not overloading and remote into the DCs and BES.

I spend most of my time in AD and Group Policy working out how to set certain things to make tasks easier/cheaper for our company. Such as new Office templates

With just 2 years experience, your wage still depends (although not entirely) on where your degree is from.

If you did it somewhere good, you are underpaid.
If you did it somewhere a bit poo, you are doing OK imo.

Can't really decide if you are well paid or not without knowing the IT qualifications behind you:p

Associate
You are underpaid, but getting really good experience. If you cant get a raise you should easily get a better paid job, even in these tricky times.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Not much 'server stuff' really. I have recently setup an old DC with 2003 and will be looking at putting Exchange on it when my boss has a bit more time. I monitor the Citrix server to make sure they are not overloading and remote into the DCs and BES.

I spend most of my time in AD and Group Policy working out how to set certain things to make tasks easier/cheaper for our company. Such as new Office templates

So just the basics at the moment then. Sounds like your off to a good start though. Id recommend keeping your head down and learning as much as you can for a while. I would also recommend looking at a MCP / MSCE etc as this doesnt so much help with the job but its more of a foot in the door come interview.

However, as i said take a look at them websites look at the job roles so it give you some to aim for and also what they would require.

Soldato
OP
Can't really decide if you are well paid or not without knowing the IT qualifications behind you:p

BTEC national in computing - 3 distinctions, 5 merits - Doncaster college
Business computing 4 year sandwich (2:1) - Leeds met
Think ive got a basic photoshop certificate too that i did at college! :p

edit - i also use backup exec a bit to restore and monitor jobs and close files and help sort out shares on the file server

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato

edit - i also use backup exec a bit to restore and monitor jobs and close files and help sort out shares on the file server

I wouldnt get too hung up on paid in the first few years of your career mate. Its more experance that earns the pennies.

:)

Soldato
OP
I wouldnt get too hung up on paid in the first few years of your career mate. Its more experance that earns the pennies.

:)

Yeh this is what i though. I'm happy on what im on now but all mates keep saying stuff like "for what your doing it sounds like you should be on more than me"

Personally i'm just happy to be getting 1 on 1 tutoring in a great business. I posted because i wondered about other rates of pay and generally what they do/have done to get where they are and career progression

The sandwich year is good. Have you had 2 years experience since graduating or are you counting the 2 years since graduation?

Leeds met isn't a big name in industry, you are doing well though and in a few years time your experience is what matters the most:)
Keep at it but asking for a raise is worth a try. Worst you get is a no:).

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yeh this is what i though. I'm happy on what im on now but all mates keep saying stuff like "for what your doing it sounds like you should be on more than me"

Personally i'm just happy to be getting 1 on 1 tutoring in a great business. I posted because i wondered about other rates of pay and generally what they do/have done to get where they are and career progression

To start with IT isnt a huge salary, it slowly builds up over time in most cases. Are most of your mates in manual labour jobs just wondering?

My advice is dont worry about that, keep your head down as your clearly on the right track and in a few years you should be earning some good money :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Why did you accept a job as a support monkey when you have a degree which isn't really suited to the job?

What do you want to end up doing?

No, you're not underpaid for what you are doing - yes, you are underpaid for what you *should* be doing.

Soldato
OP
To start with IT isnt a huge salary, it slowly builds up over time in most cases. Are most of your mates in manual labour jobs just wondering?

A mix. Site engineer on 35k that started on 12k, Recruitment services, Teachers, Sports (physiotherapist) HR....

Soldato
OP
Why did you accept a job as a support monkey when you have a degree which isn't really suited to the job?
Because 16.5k is ok money and it certainly better than my previous 'job' (dole for 3 months)

It is, IT is suited to computing.

What do you want to end up doing?

Managing IT or supporting on higher levels, maybe supporting more server problems

No, you're not underpaid for what you are doing - yes, you are underpaid for what you *should* be doing.

What should I be doing?

Associate
Pay rates in IT are VERY uneven. The organisation you work for has a heck of a lot more to do with how much you are paid than the job, job title or work content of the job. In smaller organisations you will usually be paid less for a much less well defined job, with much wider responsibilities than with a bigger organisation.

Soldato
Because 16.5k is ok money and it certainly better than my previous 'job' (dole for 3 months)

It is, IT is suited to computing.

A job on a support desk isn't relevant to ALL of IT, just SOME of IT

Managing IT or supporting on higher levels, maybe supporting more server problems

That's just one aspect of IT, and you don't learn about that by answering the phone and resetting people's passwords.

What should I be doing?

You studied business and computing, you obviously had some sort of aim in mind, what was it? You tell us (me) what you want to be doing in 10 years time and we'll (I'll) map out a career path for you.

Back
Top Bottom