Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2017, Monza - Race 13/20

Rate the 2017 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Mercedes aren't favourites for Singapore, but it would make me laugh if Hamilton won there (or at least beats Vettel). Vettel will probably take the lead in Singapore, Hamilton will dominate the rest.

Caporegime
Classic 2017 race. Nothing happening for 90% of the race and then an unrealistic chance that there could be some action on the last lap and it never coming to fruition

I thought it was one of the better 2017 races; there was a moderate amount of overtaking and the 2nd and 3rd places had to pass people on track to get there. Most of the overtakes were DRS guff but it's still above most of the races this season.

Caporegime
Vettels not gonna let Riccy join Ferrari, he's got a perfect cushy number with Kimi phoning it in every race he won't want anyone challenging him look what happened with Webber!
Vettel lobbied hard for Kimi for next season. It's no surprise Vettel didn't sign until Kimi was confirmed. Leclerc in 2019, hopefully refusing to toe the line and pushing Vettel hard. Can't see it though.

Man of Honour
Another mostly boring race only spiced up by Danny Ric towards the end. Those Red Bulls were the fastest in the speed traps, something that you don't see very often. I would say that Honda is going to be out of F1 after yet another pathetic showing from them. McLaren to announce the switch to Renault in the next couple of days shortly followed by Alonso renewing his contract. This disaster has gone on long enough.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Embarrassing for Ferrari. Comprehensively schooled at their home Grand Prix :D

Caporegime
I can't see them doing much with a Renault engine either.

The Renault engine is at least fairly competitive, as shown by Red Bull. Red Bull are still managing podiums, and apart from this weekend where everything seemed to go wrong, the Renault works team has looked the best of the rest in the previous few races.

Soldato
The gap was massive, merc turned down their engines halfway through the race, and then the last 15 laps or so also started lift and coast.

I think ferrari just got their setup massively wrong, I doubt the gap has suddenly jumped so much.

Caporegime
The gap was massive, merc turned down their engines halfway through the race, and then the last 15 laps or so also started lift and coast.

I think ferrari just got their setup massively wrong, I doubt the gap has suddenly jumped so much.

Hamilton was purposefully backing into Vettel in Spa, if you look at the lap charts he came out of the pits on a 109 second, he had I think like a 3.5 second gap immediately after Vettel came out of pits and he dropped back to do two laps in the high 110 second range, backed right into Vettel, backed in a little too much and did a 108 to re-establish the 1-1.5second gap and then went on from there. Every time Vettel tried to gain 1-3/10ths, every single time, Hamilton pulled that out next sector to keep him out of DRS. That was win as slowly as you can.

He was cruising here but don't forget that Ferrari aren't stupid, once they passed Ocon then started cruising also. They were ~5 seconds behind Bottas at that point, closer to 10 behind Ham and had no chance to win. He kept it kinda close up to the pitstop but after it, with no pit mistakes and pitting earlier so no undercut Ferrari backed off even more.

If Vettel had been closer, say 3rd on the grid and within a few seconds of Ham, I think we may have seen Ham back into Vettel again, throw him dirty air, see if that hurts the engines come the end of the season that may matter, but the gap was too big, Ferrari gave it up very early and everyone but Ricciardo was saving engines once an order was pretty much established.

I forget which race it was, Ham was a few places behind for some reason, he was gaining on Kimi but at some point not long after the final pit just gave it up and ended ~25 seconds behind or something. When you know you can't win there is no reason to take more out of the engine than you need to. So the gap in Spa was bigger than people think and the gap in Monza smaller than people think.

Soldato
Voted a 5, nothing really happened up front and just was just a complete cruise for Ham, just like Vet used to do back a few years ago (remember all those complaints about that...?).

As usual the more interesting bits were in the mid field. Qualifying was more interesting on Saturday.

Soldato
Gave it 3/10. People can drone on all day about 'heritage circuits' like Monza and Monaco but while the cars are like this they have no place on the calendar. Change the cars in the future then fine, bring them back. At least the race was over quickly.

Caporegime
Didn't even watch to the end.
Snooze fest. Would have been dire without people out of position due to qualifying.

Don't watch any live now so I can just skip through

Soldato
Hamilton was purposefully backing into Vettel in Spa, if you look at the lap charts he came out of the pits on a 109 second, he had I think like a 3.5 second gap immediately after Vettel came out of pits and he dropped back to do two laps in the high 110 second range, backed right into Vettel, backed in a little too much and did a 108 to re-establish the 1-1.5second gap and then went on from there. Every time Vettel tried to gain 1-3/10ths, every single time, Hamilton pulled that out next sector to keep him out of DRS. That was win as slowly as you can.

He was cruising here but don't forget that Ferrari aren't stupid, once they passed Ocon then started cruising also. They were ~5 seconds behind Bottas at that point, closer to 10 behind Ham and had no chance to win. He kept it kinda close up to the pitstop but after it, with no pit mistakes and pitting earlier so no undercut Ferrari backed off even more.

If Vettel had been closer, say 3rd on the grid and within a few seconds of Ham, I think we may have seen Ham back into Vettel again, throw him dirty air, see if that hurts the engines come the end of the season that may matter, but the gap was too big, Ferrari gave it up very early and everyone but Ricciardo was saving engines once an order was pretty much established.

I forget which race it was, Ham was a few places behind for some reason, he was gaining on Kimi but at some point not long after the final pit just gave it up and ended ~25 seconds behind or something. When you know you can't win there is no reason to take more out of the engine than you need to. So the gap in Spa was bigger than people think and the gap in Monza smaller than people think.
That was russia

Soldato
Gave it 3/10. People can drone on all day about 'heritage circuits' like Monza and Monaco but while the cars are like this they have no place on the calendar. Change the cars in the future then fine, bring them back. At least the race was over quickly.
The tracks aren't the issue (although Sochi is a dreary hole which should be removed ASAP), it's purely the cars not being able to follow each other. Quite why the FIA still hasn't addressed this by bringing back ground effect is anyones guess.

BTCC proves you don't need world class tracks to have great racing.

race is so boring imo

bottas is doing nothing....
Why would he? He's a number two driver to Hamilton. The same as Vettel has had for three quarters of his F1 career, and the same as Ferrari have used for 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom