It's Arrived - Art. Lebedev Studio Optimus Maximus Keyboard

Soldato
Does it really?

20070530-Optimus_Win_Square_web%5B1%5D.jpg

That looks the sex :D

Xez

Xez

Associate
It would look a lot better if it wasnt plastic. I mean for £800 you'd expect it to be in a metal hosuing surely? Brushed black/silver aluminium would make it look a lot better

Soldato
It would look a lot better if it wasnt plastic. I mean for £800 you'd expect it to be in a metal hosuing surely? Brushed black/silver aluminium would make it look a lot better

Actually, that's a good point.

Glass keys would be nice too.

Maybe they can do that for the next one.

Associate
How many people would have the cash to upgrade and buy one of these? Saying that, I believe anyone who had the cash would also have the sense to spend their money more wisley.

What could be more sensible than spending your money on the things you want if it's not going to leave you short. Better that than to listen to all the green-eyed monsters.

I don't know of anyone that has had their PC fail on them because they weren't using a modulated PSU, yet all the time you see it recommended that people use a Corsair HX620 over a TX650, that being a 25% increase in price for a 4.6% reduction in power, mmmm, great economics! But(t) do we see people moaning about it saying "Oh man that's like a The Sun subscription for forever!"?

Of course not, because despite the fact that it doesn't really make sense, it's nice to have a tidy case and to have the peace of mind that the airflow is that much improved, and at ~£17 it's a cost that most people can easily absorb. Alas there are many in this world that find £800 for a keyboard is a cost easily abosrbed.

Many will protest that they are not jealous of that keyboard and I don't doubt them, but I do reckon that they are jealous, whether they realize it or not, that some people are wealthy enough to splash out £800 on a keyboard and if it turns out to be meh, it's of no consequence.

I for one am bloody jealous of the OP, but I also say good luck to him.

Soldato
What could be more sensible than spending your money on the things you want if it's not going to leave you short. Better that than to listen to all the green-eyed monsters.

Just because you have the money doesn't mean it's a sesible decision. If that was the case there would be no need for the saying 'buyers remorse'

I don't know of anyone that has had their PC fail on them because they weren't using a modulated PSU, yet all the time you see it recommended that people use a Corsair HX620 over a TX650, that being a 25% increase in price for a 4.6% reduction in power, mmmm, great economics! But(t) do we see people moaning about it saying "Oh man that's like a The Sun subscription for forever!"?

Bad example. Modular PSU's don't cost around 40 times more than a standard PSU and are generally better quality. Has better quality been proven on the £800 keyboard or just that it has fancy keys that don't aid you in 99% of day to day use? Function over form.

Of course not, because despite the fact that it doesn't really make sense, it's nice to have a tidy case and to have the peace of mind that the airflow is that much improved, and at ~£17 it's a cost that most people can easily absorb. Alas there are many in this world that find £800 for a keyboard is a cost easily abosrbed.

Tidy case cost's nothing, better airflow costs nothing. Yes there are many people who can easily afford this product but do you see them flying of the shelves? How many reviews from PC users do you see?

Many will protest that they are not jealous of that keyboard and I don't doubt them, but I do reckon that they are jealous, whether they realize it or not, that some people are wealthy enough to splash out £800 on a keyboard and if it turns out to be meh, it's of no consequence.

So those who protest can't just think it's an overprised gimick. If it was £100 I wouldn't buy one. I don't like the look or feel that I would benefit from it in anyway.

I for one am bloody jealous of the OP, but I also say good luck to him.

I can just imagine you there with an Optimus Maximus and Antec Skeleton Case laughing at all the losers :p

Associate
Just because you have the money doesn't mean it's a sesible decision. If that was the case there would be no need for the saying 'buyers remorse'

I think you are missing the point if you think he took it home, found out that he couldn't beat his words-per-minute record on it and was then thrown into a deep depressive fit of buyer's remorse. Honestly, I really don't think that is a comment worth responding to.

Orange Peel said:
Bad example. Modular PSU's don't cost around 40 times more than a standard PSU and are generally better quality. Has better quality been proven on the £800 keyboard or just that it has fancy keys that don't aid you in 99% of day to day use? Function over form.

I doubt that the 620 is 25% better than the 650, certainly it isn't on power is it? That doesn't change the economics of my argument, you say modular PSU's don't cost 40 times more, so it's ok if it costs 25% more?... 10% more?... 5% more?, as long as it's not what, twice as much? Why is that? Is it because to most people that a 25% difference on a PSU is minimal? If you've been following, that says nothing to my point because it's not about a percentage difference, it's about the real world money of that percentage and much more importantly, how that compares to one's disposable income, not how it compares to a percentage of the other products functionality.

Again, I wouldn't say that adding modular capability to a PSU increases it's functionality by 25% let alone while at the same time knocking off 30W, but I do reckon that it's worth paying an extra £17 for a modular PSU even at a loss of 30W, Why? Because even though I don't think one is 25% better than the other, it still has what I want and will only cost me £17, which isn't that much money, to me!! And believe me, I've met people on the breadline and to them £17 is not to be sniffed at.

Moving on from the economic side of things, if your purpose of buying something was for it to be a toy, to get an almost childish pleasure out of it then that is it's intended function. I'm sure it still peforms perfectly well as a keyboard, perhaps it might not type as smoothly as the Logitech S510, but I don't think that was expected of it, can you not understand that?

This keyboard was meant to fill another critera entirely, and one that is not only worth every penny of that £800, but of £1600, and of £2400 and of much, much more besides.

Orange Peel said:
Tidy case cost's nothing, better airflow costs nothing.

I meant that's usually the reason why people choose to buy modular. Don't start me down that road again! :eek:

Orange Peel said:
Yes there are many people who can easily afford this product but do you see them flying of the shelves? How many reviews from PC users do you see?

You're right, they won't sell any of these, how silly of me to suggest it. In fact we're not even in a thread of someone who went to the trouble of importing one.

Orange Peel said:
So those who protest can't just think it's an overprised gimick. If it was £100 I wouldn't buy one. I don't like the look or feel that I would benefit from it in anyway.

I doubt you would feel the benefit of it, I doubt I would, I think you've completely missed the point. Do you really think the people that have reacted favourably to this are thinking "I would really benefit from that."?

Orange Peel said:
I can just imagine you there with an Optimus Maximus and Antec Skeleton Case laughing at all the losers :p

If I had plenty of cash I would have them both, and I'd play around with them and get enjoyment from them both, then I'd probably throw them in the bin, and all the while I would indeed laugh at all the losers watching on through their green, green eyes. :D

This is a toy for heaven sake Orange Peel! If you really can't understand the concept of buying something for fun and novelty over it's functionality then it's no wonder such bitterness seeps out of you. And just in case you were to say "Yeah, but not at that price!", that price is no price to some. I used to buy some sweets that cost a whole 2p! Were they worth a 100% mark-up over the penny sweets? Probably not, but I've always been a carefree spirit.*

Anyway, I don't want to carry on with this, so this will be all I say on the subject, I won't find it petty if you feel there is more to say, just know that I won't be responding to it.

*This statement is a complete lie, I've always been a moany old b****** even when I was a ten-year-old. ;)

Soldato

No point in detailed response as I obviously haven't been following, completely missed the point, have no idea where you're coming from, and make comments not worth responding to :)

I guess just because you say all those things they must be true.

I'm taking my bitterness seeping life over to the corner to cry lol.

Associate
It's nice for applications like photoshop, for example you can do this:

opmax_2Dpshop.jpg

That may seem like a good idea, but professional users of photoshop and the like learn the key commands off by heart if they need them. It's hard enough transitioning from a mac to a pc as the key commands change, learning to use the keys on your optimus at home would only add a new set of keys to learn. Also how difficult is it to change back to a standard layout? If you are typing numbers and values regularly, which is likely in an app like photoshop, you have to keep switching layouts, so you are actually removing functionality from the keyboard rather than adding it.

It's a pretty flawed product in this respect, there isn't really a sensible application for it. Unless you play a game where you need to assign huge numbers of keys and can afford to look at the keyboard everytime you press them (flight sim?).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom