***It's Here!***

Soldato
I'm quite baffled who in their right mind is going to buy in to this platform? The pricing vs Ryzen renders it senseless, and with TR on the horizon even more so!

Associate
The KabyLake-X chips on this platform are a colossal mess. Intel expects people to pay close to £600 for a CPU and motherboard, only to end up with dead memory slots, dead PCI-e slots and having to pick and choose what on-board devices and storage ports you can enable because there aren't enough PCI-e lanes?

Madness.

Soldato
The KabyLake-X chips on this platform are a colossal mess. Intel expects people to pay close to £600 for a CPU and motherboard, only to end up with dead memory slots, dead PCI-e slots and having to pick and choose what on-board devices and storage ports you can enable because there aren't enough PCI-e lanes?

Madness.

True, and even with Skylake-X anything less than the 7900X is also going to potentially be limited in respect to on-board devices given the 28 PCI-E lane max.

Soldato
Intel is a proven platform; AMD's Ryzen as yet is not. There are just enough niggles (AGESA updates, heavy compilation crashes, RAM compatibility, etc) to put off buyers who are not enthusiasts. The new i9 chips are just crippled Xeons, all tested and proven. Ryzen has been out only a few months and Threadripper and Epyc aren't yet here. People who live on the bleeding edge sometimes get hurt, and there are those - like businesses - who don't want that.

Soldato
Intel is a proven platform; AMD's Ryzen as yet is not. There are just enough niggles (AGESA updates, heavy compilation crashes, RAM compatibility, etc) to put off buyers who are not enthusiasts. The new i9 chips are just crippled Xeons, all tested and proven. Ryzen has been out only a few months and Threadripper and Epyc aren't yet here. People who live on the bleeding edge sometimes get hurt, and there are those - like businesses - who don't want that.

X299 is for businesses??

Associate
Heh, can't see that being a big market for any HEDT platform. I suspect any business requiring that kind of horsepower would just go to Dell or HP and buy a Xeon-based workstation.

Soldato
Yes. Any business that utilises many CPU cores will be interested. Remember that these CPUs are going to be considerably cheaper than the Xeon systems they would otherwise be using.

They could have saved VAST sums of money by just doing no frills boards minus RGB then.

Associate

The newer stuff does have problems though, much like the Ryzen that you mention does.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_7900x_processor_review,22.html

Associate
Yes. Any business that utilises many CPU cores will be interested. Remember that these CPUs are going to be considerably cheaper than the Xeon systems they would otherwise be using.
They will be cheaper to purchase, true. But from my experience in this area (which is admittedly a few years out of date now) initial cost is a big deal only for a subset of the business very high performance desktop market. Most customers want a highly tested platform that's designed for stability; a big-brand Xeon workstation will have been extensively validated, both in base form and with the available selection of pro-grade GPUs, and the manufacturer will offer an on-site fast response warranty.

You pay big bucks, but that buys a degree of reassurance. Of course, there's always a group who'll put up with some hassle to save money.

Also, one thing that's going to hurt X299 in the business market is lack of ECC. Just how much of a difference ECC actually makes is debatable, but it's a popular checkbox feature and plenty of Xeon workstations get sold because they support it. And given AMD's past approach, I'd be very surprised if Threadripper doesn't do ECC.

Associate
its what i thought it would be,still quite high,amd is getting my dosh this time around,only upgraded to i7 6700k 10months but already running maxed out on all cores in a few games bf1///gta5,remember when i upgraded my q6600 to i7 930 raid,what a amazing fast pc that was,didnt get anywhere near the performance boost when jumping to 6700k,really ****** with intel 5/10% boosts,new chipset,this is the most exciting time regarding cpu since my 930

Associate
I've noticed there is no hype for these CPU's.
Definitely, there is more negative media around these than I've ever seen for intel. I mean I would love the 7800k, 6c12t sounds great but I have a golden 7600k...Overclocked to 5Ghz and I've also managed 5.2 no troubles with low volts (I have delidded it) so other users similar to me or those who even have the 7700k would probably think is it worth it? no, it is definitely not. I game, I render, I do all sorts but I don't see myself getting a great deal out of moving to x299 from KabyLake 1511

Soldato
Not true, I got diagnosed with diabetes last week, now I think I wouldn't mind a good tofu burger!

Entirely off topic but felt I had to say, check out 'What The Health' documentary on Netflix... might change your life. You can also watch free online if you don't have Netflix. I watched it last night and it's utterly compelling.

Definitely, there is more negative media around these than I've ever seen for intel. I mean I would love the 7800k, 6c12t sounds great but I have a golden 7600k...Overclocked to 5Ghz and I've also managed 5.2 no troubles with low volts (I have delidded it) so other users similar to me or those who even have the 7700k would probably think is it worth it? no, it is definitely not. I game, I render, I do all sorts but I don't see myself getting a great deal out of moving to x299 from KabyLake 1511

KabyLake-X is certainly deserving of it though. Skylake-X less so, but it's certainly got issues. For gaming rigs only, no one should be looking at X299 though, literally no one.

Associate
This is just the same situation as the i3 7350K, while it is good or great in some aspects, its just too nerfed in some areas and the cost is way off, there's just better setups out there from AMD and Intel for almost all use case scenarios. At least the i3 7350K had the tech media trying to push it, this time not so much. The public panned and avoided the i3 and x299 will likely be the same I think, I know of three people that were almost definitely getting it, now its two guy's after Threadripper and the other guy is on the fence and he's a massive intel fanboy and early adopter.

Back
Top Bottom