It's infuriating that they don't specify salary.

Soldato
I'd perhaps consider changing that view... isn't "DevOps" supposed to be all the rage now? If you're talking about a bit of scripting then the guy is hardly a programmer anyway, that can fall well within the domain of a support analyst. If they're not able to fill the role still then that is perhaps more an indication of them not paying enough for the role or being too tight to engage a decent recruiter than there not being support people out there who have some ability to write a bit of code.

I'm not sure, this "DevOps" term is all new to me having 15 years working in IT. Trying not to go down the path of "jack of all trades, master of none"

Soldato
Choosing a candidate based on cost is all the range in education; many schools would much rather employ a newly qualified teacher with no experience (22k) than a perfect candidate with heaps of experience and a perfect track record (30-38k).

Man of Honour
You should all know your market value. Never shy away from discussing money or telling a company who tells you they want a passionate person, not someone in it for the money to go forth and multiply. If a company is unwilling to discuss the wage or unwilling to confirm they can meet your demands, look elsewhere.

Soldato
It's annoying but works both ways. With minimal Google-fu you can quickly grab salary estimates for your needs, unless your job title or sector is ludicrously niche. Recruiters won't dump the name of their client out in the open for two reasons: a) you can cut them out; b) they are not the only shark in the sea. Though occasionally you can catch them out pinching direct vacancies, if the text/title in the ad is recycled verbatim!

Associate
Choosing a candidate based on cost is all the range in education; many schools would much rather employ a newly qualified teacher with no experience (22k) than a perfect candidate with heaps of experience and a perfect track record (30-38k).

The trouble is that’s the only way many Schools can balance their budgets, I’m a School Governor and the recent 3.25% pay rise for teachers was only 1% funded by the government. Also Schools are facing the prospect of potentially finding an extra 9% increase for Pension contributions, currently employer contributions are 16% but the government are actively looking at increasing this to 25% as pensions are so underfunded.

Caporegime
I’ve walked out of interviews where they wouldn’t provide a salary range and demand a figure from myself. I also had one place ask me for a monthly payslip from my previous employer as “proof”.

It becomes evident straight away even before the discussion on salary if you’re dealing with people who want competent employees or people who want yes men who’ll take the lowest salary they can offer.

Soldato
I've found that. I went along to interviews and places offered the same salary as I was on but somehow expected me to move jobs! I made it clear to them at the interview I was looking for an increase in what I was currently being paid and they knew my salary.

It surprises me companies expect you to take the risk of changing jobs unless there's some kind of financial incentive!

I'm not sure, this "DevOps" term is all new to me having 15 years working in IT. Trying not to go down the path of "jack of all trades, master of none"

That's the main issue I'm finding with my current IT support role. I'm increasingly expected to be jack of all trades with knowledge of every system/platform out there anyone decides to buy in yet the company isn't willing to offer any support or training. It's actually making me want to leave the sector as I don't feel there's a future as an IT support generalist.

I'm not prepared to spend my own time/money outside of work learning systems/platforms at the drop off a hat when I'm not being provided with any support or remuneration for it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Well I don't see why it would dilute your current knowledge. You'd just be adding a bit more to your skillset and making yourself more useful.

Soldato
The trouble is that’s the only way many Schools can balance their budgets, I’m a School Governor and the recent 3.25% pay rise for teachers was only 1% funded by the government. Also Schools are facing the prospect of potentially finding an extra 9% increase for Pension contributions, currently employer contributions are 16% but the government are actively looking at increasing this to 25% as pensions are so underfunded.
The worst part is I only see about £40/m from that 3%. What an utter waste of money. I’d rather they gave the money to our schools as with one big lump they’d be able to make a difference.

Soldato
Well I don't see why it would dilute your current knowledge. You'd just be adding a bit more to your skillset and making yourself more useful.

Over the past 2.5 years I have been studying. Became MCSA in Windows 10 in 2017, MCSA in Server 2016, MCSE in Cloud and Infrastructure last year. 6 exams in total, hours of self studying after work and during lunches. All paid for by me so I can verify my knowledge, making myself more useful. Not many would have the motivation to do that unless their company pays and sends them on a 3 or 5 day course.

I'm now working towards getting into network security, so I am studying Sec+ and will start CCNA Cyber Ops as that's the path I want to go down. Not hours working on scripts for automation with Python or whatever scripting language is favour of the day.

No point being jack of all trades as you need to stick to one thing and focus on it. IT has become way to big to be jack of all trades in today's world compared to 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’ve walked out of interviews where they wouldn’t provide a salary range and demand a figure from myself. I also had one place ask me for a monthly payslip from my previous employer as “proof”.

It becomes evident straight away even before the discussion on salary if you’re dealing with people who want competent employees or people who want yes men who’ll take the lowest salary they can offer.

They would get your P45 when you start anyway but by that point they will be too invested to make a big thing out of it unless there is a massive discrepancy, although, iirc someone possibly dowie(?) commented a while back about a former colleague getting booted out from some bank for lying about their previous package.
The closest I think I came to this sort of thing was a while back someone hired someone with a public sector background and knowing how their banding structures typically work I found their claimed previous salary hard to believe, we didn't delve too deeply into it however as was more concerned about whether they were the best candidate available within our range.

Soldato
You've been in IT 15yrs and 1. you haven't heard of DevOps and 2. you're only now doing some courses? Did you fall asleep for 13 of those years?

1. I did say I never heard of DevOps?!?!?! I said its all new to me.

2. How many people do you know who takes the time and effort to self study in IT without the help or push from their employer? I have done courses such as ITIL and SCCM but I didn't mention them because if they wasn't offered to me then I wouldn't of bothered doing them.

You find many work in IT for years and don't do any courses or certifications, why? Because they have no reason to.

Caporegime
Most people have to do some self study, "IT" continually evolves. I don't think it is a huge ask for a support person to be able to write a few scripts, especially if working in the field for over a decade.

iirc someone possibly dowie(?) commented a while back about a former colleague getting booted out from some bank for lying about their previous package.

I saw it happen to a new starter at a tech firm, HR had found out and he was gone instantly.

Caporegime
If its any more than a generic application I dont bother applying.
It really does waste everyones time. Especially jobs like what I do. The same job title could mean 25 to 50k. You can tell a bit by the spec. But still a hassle

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Do not forget the magic word Competative it might have been competitive 10 years ago, but my skillset has somewhat moved on since then. Oh throwing the words exciting opportunity just means its dull and they cant get anyone to fill it.....

Soldato
I absolutely hate looking at job posts that don't list salary.
I hate employers who say we're not looking for someones who's more concerned about wages than the role.
What world do they live in? Since its not the one where prices keep rising and people need to make ends meet, no one goes to work to make their employer richer for fun. I don't want to keep applying for similar roles to the one I have to the have to feel guilty about asking what the salary is.

This rant could go on for a very long time so I'll cut it short and ask. Is there a reason that this has become the norm? Drives me ******** nuts.

yeah agreed. you should be a 'team player' first and 'go the extra mile' :mad:
give me a good salary and i'll be whatever you want ffs
yes we are in it for the money first, of course we are. i'll do my best while i'm in the job but get realistic
even a ball park figure would be nice, like £20k - £25k depending on experience or something
would save theirs and our time in some cases

Soldato
OP
Yeah pretty much. Thats a huge bug bear of mine, going the extra mile. Arggh.
I'll all for making sure the job gets done but on return i expect you to give me some leeway on coming in late or leaving early etc. Its only fair.

The one i never apply for are the ones that make you up load your cv and then rewrite it into stupid forms, they normally contain the field, tell us a time you went the extra mile anf why.

Back
Top Bottom