It's infuriating that they don't specify salary.

Soldato
Yeah pretty much. Thats a huge bug bear of mine, going the extra mile. Arggh.
I'll all for making sure the job gets done but on return i expect you to give me some leeway on coming in late or leaving early etc. Its only fair.

The one i never apply for are the ones that make you up load your cv and then rewrite it into stupid forms, they normally contain the field, tell us a time you went the extra mile anf why.

Had one similar the one day.

"Tell us, what our mission means to you" *This field has to be completed before submitting your application.

So.......uploading my CV, cover letter and spending time completing a form which duplicates what's on CV already isn't enough?!?!?!

Soldato
I've got an interview this week for a job where they didn't specify a salary. I can't find anything online suggesting what they might pay. I want the job but am not willing to take a pay cut for it. How can/should I approach this in interview? Especially a problem if they don't explicitly ask what my salary expectations are?

Soldato
OP
Honestly. I jave found they will pay the money most of the time if you are worth it. So dont do yourself the disservice of thinking your not and ask for what you want. Confidently say with your level of skills etc that you think your worth xx amount. As long as you make a convincing argument why you should get it they should pay it. If they don't it was probably not the job for you anyway.

Caporegime
even a ball park figure would be nice, like £20k - £25k depending on experience or something
would save theirs and our time in some cases

It doesn't always work like that though, for example in some cases where they're not necessarily going to get a candidate that meets all of the requirements they might be open to a wide range of candidates/skill sets.

You ought to have a rough idea of what you're worth anyway and the going rates for someone with your skillset/experience so it often isn't much of an issue.

I've got an interview this week for a job where they didn't specify a salary. I can't find anything online suggesting what they might pay. I want the job but am not willing to take a pay cut for it. How can/should I approach this in interview? Especially a problem if they don't explicitly ask what my salary expectations are?

Is it a completely different job or different industry to the one you're already doing?

Do you already earn more than someone usually would do in your current position? (For example a developer at a bank looking at moving to a tech company)

I wouldn't see them not asking about your salary expectations as a problem tbh... that's great IMO, rather rare these days but if they make you an offer first then you've got the obvious move of simply asking for more. Alternatively if you give a figure first and they were otherwise prepared to pay more then you might unknowingly reduce the offer they're prepared to give you. I suspect they'll ask you before it gets to the offer stage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't find it's during the application phase but if your down to the last 2/3 they won't consider you if your all on equal footing if your there's a 4k fee on your head.

Decent companies don;t get about small differences in salaries or fees for a position coming from a recruiter.

Yu never get identical candiated, there is always some slightly different skill sets, strengths, weakness, experience, personality, traits.

Soldato
Is it a completely different job or different industry to the one you're already doing?

Do you already earn more than someone usually would do in your current position? (For example a developer at a bank looking at moving to a tech company)

I wouldn't see them not asking about your salary expectations as a problem tbh... that's great IMO, rather rare these days but if they make you an offer first then you've got the obvious move of simply asking for more. Alternatively if you give a figure first and they were otherwise prepared to pay more then you might unknowingly reduce the offer they're prepared to give you. I suspect they'll ask you before it gets to the offer stage.

It's an IT role that's similar to mine though I'm currently field based and it's office based. I'm not convinced the salary expectation they have is as high as mine, I'm paid relatively well for what I do and our company is based in a different place so it's more at a par with their pay rates than around Liverpool.

Problem is mainly due to transport, I have a company car so will need to get a vehicle to commute and I want to keep the cost for that about the same as my current BIK or covered by an increase in salary.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd tell them what you've written, i.e. "I want the job, but I'm not willing to take a pay cut for it" but specify what your expectations are.

A good negotiation tactic can be to mention your base salary plus any benefits packages which are worth x as a whole number. If they query this (often this can add £5-10k on in some organisations), you can justify it by explaining the benefits and explaining how you'd be seeing a net loss if you weren't suitable compensated.

Example... you're on £50k with a 10% employer pension contribution, private medical and misc benefits. Asking for £60k is justified but will likely mean you're breaking even in an organisation with a worse pension scheme, so I'd be asking for more than £60k if they wanted me to leave. If they want you to relocate then I'd add more and explain that too.

They can only say no, so providing you aren't making numbers up and can give a good reason for why you feel you're worth x then you're fine.

The hard ball tactic (if you know they want you) is to say "I won't leave for less than X" but that can backfire :p

Caporegime
It's an IT role that's similar to mine though I'm currently field based and it's office based. I'm not convinced the salary expectation they have is as high as mine, I'm paid relatively well for what I do and our company is based in a different place so it's more at a par with their pay rates than around Liverpool.

Just ask them tbh.. Or just apply - I presume this isn't via a recruiter or you'd be able to get an answer very quickly. It doesn't take long to throw in an application assuming they're then interested in hiring you and you get a response then it is hardly an unreasonable question to ask what the salary range for the role is and if you're already above that range to then highlight that to them.

Alternatively, if it was a role you really wanted and you're perhaps not too far out of the range then it might well be worth your time smashing the interview, making a good impression and then pushing them for more money on the basis that you already earn a figure at the high end of what they're offering. With a random job however that perhaps is a waste of time.

Some companies are well aware that some candidates from other industries might earn way more than the typical rates they pay for a particular level - this isn't exactly uncommon for example with say someone coming from banking into say a big tech firm (though increasingly pay at big tech firms is pretty compatible), a large firm might well have some system in place to deal with this and pay some new hires significantly more than they'd usually do, of course there might be some additional expectations that you progress a bit quicker and start to justify that higher pay etc..

Back
Top Bottom