It's On! Floyd Mayweather - Conor McGregor **No discussions of illegal streams**

Caporegime
I'm sure I read somewhere that McGregor said he's used to looking out for Knees and Feet and elbows and Submissions. With this fight all he has to look out for a punches. So his workload/rate is massively reduced.

God could you imagine his Ego should he win.

if only it was this easy. every UFC fighter would be the greatest of all time boxers earning £100 million per fight. LMAO if anyone believes the crap being spouted about mc gregor.

I don't understand people being cynical about this.

Why? Its basically a cash in for both fighters. I can't blame them for doing it as they will make a fortune, but the fight is all hype and no substance.

Personally I won't be watching it (if it happens) as I enjoy a good boxing match and I don't see this been one. Its an amateur boxer in with one of the best boxers in history (and one of the most boring to watch - again just my opinion).

Soldato
Unless Mayweather has got very old over night or McGregor gets frustrated and puts a choke hold on Mayweather I can't see how McGregor touches him.

Mayweather will use McGregor as a heavy bag for as long as he can take it or as a light bag for 12 rounds without coming out of second gear. If Mayweather gets nasty McGregor is heading for the beating of a lifetime.

Soldato
Haha - I love all the hate in here!

People will buy it - it will break records pure and simple.

The "casual" fan will lap this up - I'll be watching for sure, simply one of the biggest events ever. Biggest boxing event - no, it's not a boxing event in the purest form, biggest "fight" - yes.

It's not going to be a fight. Seriously you'd see better fights in sparring sessions at your local club.

Mayweather fights usually put me to sleep and McGregor wouldn't stand a chance against a club level fighter. I wouldn't watch this even if the fight was in my garden. Nevermind sit up until 4.30 in the morning and pay money for it.

It's just two over marketed brand names looking to cash in on the unsuspecting.

Soldato
I don't understand people being cynical about this.

It is the personification of what is wrong with the boxing world and likely will be of the UFC world if money starts pouring in:

Its a fight that has nothing to do with sport, competition or skill and just money. It is one boxer who has had his win record fluffed up by having him play the rules and rack up points to win vs a guy who is not even in the sport and is liked for being controversial. The first guy only realistically tested a handful of times for the sake of keeping that perfect record to line his and his promoters pockets vs someone who made his money by stirring the crowd up.

At least when Mayweather 'fought' The Big Show, there was one professional actor in the ring and everyone watching knew the result of the match was irrelevant.

The amount of money that floats between promoters, TV right holders and bookies have slowly steered boxing more towards wrestling than a competition between two closely skilled athletes. Promoters are too scared to have their golden eggs fight a close matchup before they have built up a record. A half decent boxer with charisma seems to be given more of a chance then the more talented ones who get pitted up against more experienced popular guys as 'win record fodder'.

Soldato
Yeah, this will not be a 'fight', it's going to be Mayweather doing his usual defensive, counter-punching boxing vs a guy that won't be able to land on him. If the likes of Canelo and Pacquiao can't effectively land on Mayweather then what hope in hell does McGregor have? I've no doubt that loads of people will pay for this event, but I've also no doubt that there will be a lot of people complaining afterwards that it was a disappointment and not worth it.

Soldato
Yeah, this will not be a 'fight', it's going to be Mayweather doing his usual defensive, counter-punching boxing vs a guy that won't be able to land on him.

I think this is Conor's only chance of winning, make it a fight, almost show a lack of respect towards Floyds superior boxing ability and try and turn it as gritty as possible. He won't win with movement and boxing ability, he has to try and bully Floyd.

Soldato
Whatever happens McGregor will come out of this smelling of roses even if he doesn't land anything or gets floored a few times then stopped early on and it ends up a complete shambles because he will act all humble after the fight and get congratulated for taking on the best boxer in the world and people will forget that it's because of his massive ego in believing he can trade with the best boxers and wanting to line his pockets with a big payday that this came about. Anyone paying £20 for this are just wasting there money. There's not even been any decent fights named on the undercard yet

Soldato
I think this is Conor's only chance of winning, make it a fight, almost show a lack of respect towards Floyds superior boxing ability and try and turn it as gritty as possible. He won't win with movement and boxing ability, he has to try and bully Floyd.

But he can't make it a fight, as he's totally outclassed. How can you bully someone who is obviously better at the sport?

McGregegor has been top of the tower, and the only way from there is down. Mayweather is retired. This is a last minute money grab from both of them which will set them up for the rest of their lives.

As Ricky Hatton has said, it will be entertaining, but that's the only nice thing he could say about it!

Soldato
But he can't make it a fight, as he's totally outclassed. How can you bully someone who is obviously better at the sport?

My assumption would be constant forward pressure, try and make the fight ugly, lots of in close clinch fighting - swarm Floyd as much as possible and don't let him breathe and don't give him any space. The size difference between the two guys I think will be a big factor.

I don't fancy Conors chances, but I think he can make it more competitive and less cut and dry than people seem to think it'll be.

Soldato
My assumption would be constant forward pressure, try and make the fight ugly, lots of in close clinch fighting - swarm Floyd as much as possible and don't let him breathe and don't give him any space. The size difference between the two guys I think will be a big factor.

I don't fancy Conors chances, but I think he can make it more competitive and less cut and dry than people seem to think it'll be.

He will find it harder to clinch Mayweather than the professional boxers that have faced him before. Mayweather may not be a boxer who goes for the knockout but give him openings and he will take them. With Mcgregor missing a great deal of his arsenal and wearing gloves he is put at a considerable disadvantage. Gloves allow you to block easier and so the dynamic of fighting at a closer distance is completely different in boxing. At a close distance you could block, shoulder roll and bob and weave to avoid clean strikes in boxing, in MMA this is not normally the case as it does not protect you from moves that are obviously illegal in boxing.

This is a fight where they have taken one of the best defensive boxers and pitted him against a fighter under rules which removes any good chance of him winning against most mediocre boxers. Not only does this matchup heavily suit Mayweather in skill but in build too, where Mcgregor will have muscle that will slow him down and not be as efficiently tuned to make/take boxing blows relative to a normal boxer.

I will watch it and hope that enough disillusioned people bet on mcgregor to make Mayweather odds look appealing to bet on...but thats not going to happen

Soldato
Has anyone thought of the outcome if McGregor knocks Floyd out? Will the ref step in and stop McGregor gaining an advantage? Seen it too many times.

Back
Top Bottom