It's On! Floyd Mayweather - Conor McGregor **No discussions of illegal streams**

Soldato
Perhaps, but I genuinely believe he's done as a top guy. He's 40 for Christs sake, and I doubt he didn't take Conor seriously in training. You don't get to 50-0 by slacking in training or underestimating your opponent.
He said it's his last fight. I think he would have taken him seriously while knowing he wouldn't have to work anywhere near as hard as if he was fighting a top guy. Anyone in the boxing top 50 would have schooled McGregor, it goes without saying that the best would do so at 60-70%. I believe Floyd could have finished that fight at any stage he wanted after the second.

Soldato
Everyone hating on the money etc - don't forget it was the "fans" who wanted this, Mayweather and Conor sold them what the fans wanted.

This is why I didn't waste any £ on it. Sure I could have watched it around a friend's place as well but I value my sleep more than watching this farce.

Soldato
I just hope Floyd stays retired and doesn't keep going to the well, leave it at 50-0.

Problem is I see him as a guy who lives a certain lifestyle (a ridiculously opulent one!) with a ton of leeches sucking his money dry. You're a long time retired is even the money he's earned tonight going to keep him in that lifestyle forever? Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up coming back again for another payday and eventually his luck with father time will run out.

Soldato
Is Floyd actually spent or did he just allow the fight to appear to be semi competitive?

I thought it was quite telling at the weigh in when he said he they were going to give the fans what they wanted. It wouldn't surprise me if this was all planned to a tee by both teams. Especially when you hear things like them sharing planes etc...

Given how well the last 40yr old did against a younger opponent (Klitschko) I'm surprised May looked as bad as people are saying.

Tend to agree with this. McGregor seemed to have his hands low for most of the fight, leaving his head exposed. Before the fight a mate of mine who has been boxing for 4 years said that he didn't fancy McGregor's chances because after 4 years he still had a lot to learn himself, and was sceptical as to how much someone could learn in 6 months. Personally, I thought McGregor's boxing skills were very poor and that Mayweather was carrying him so as to give the fans some value for money..

This fight was all about the money... both men will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Soldato
Ref stopped that way too early. Almost as if they had some kind of gentlemans agreement.

Nonsense,

He'd taken several big shots, his legs were gone, he'd been on the ropes and in the corner - he wasn't defending himself because he was finished, he also hadn't thrown any decent punches for about 3 rounds, was a perfectly reasonable stoppage

Associate
Was a good stoppage, Mayweather just totally outboxed him, fairplay to conor for stepping up and having a go, but now get back to mma and stop holding up the divisons! or retire with the multi millions

Soldato
If you ask me Floyd let the first few rounds go the way it did to tire Mcgregor, because everybody knows Mcgregor can come out of nowhere and drop you. Floyd wanted to win and he did so by playing a solid gameplan and making sure Conor lost the only tool he had that could have given him the fluke win.

Floyd could have fairly easily stopped it in the first few rounds but the fight would have looked a lot less one sided if he attempted to do so and got put on the floor by the irish left before drowning Mcgregor.

Caporegime
The trouble for McGregor is where does he go now. Mayweather has had plenty of those evenings earning huge money. Can he get the motivation after what will be his biggest night.

It will be relatively low key compared to that. Shame he has to turn his persona into a trash talking ***** as I'm sure he's not really like that. Sold some tickets I suppose but I don't imagine it will be long before he's trying to pick another boxing fight to cash in again.

Soldato
The trouble for McGregor is where does he go now. Mayweather has had plenty of those evenings earning huge money. Can he get the motivation after what will be his biggest night.

It will be relatively low key compared to that. Shame he has to turn his persona into a trash talking ***** as I'm sure he's not really like that. Sold some tickets I suppose but I don't imagine it will be long before he's trying to pick another boxing fight to cash in again.

Well the marketing exercise for UFC has been just about perfect, he goes back with new fans and UFC just gained publicity it could only previously dream of. Dana must be one of the happiest people on the planet :) he still owns McGregor and will continue to milk it. Easy money.

Caporegime
Yep, animosity and hype sells fights.

I would guess most of the regulars in here are looking forward to the GGG vs Canelo fight in a few weeks more than they were this fight but there's barely been a peep out of either camp and I had completely forgotten about it until the thread got bumped last night.

As far as the average punter goes, who the **** are GGG and Canelo?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Conor bossed the first few rounds but gassed out and got caught.

In my opinion the ref stopped it early but maybe that's my UFC background. Normally seeing someone wobble doesn't equal a stoppage considering he'd only landed 2 of the 7 or 8 he'd thrown whilst Conor was dodging on the ropes.

Can't complain though, it was always going to be Mayweather who won it.. just glad that Conor stepped up and gave him a fight.

Back
Top Bottom