It's snowing

Not much snow in my part of the country, but on the way to work this morning it was pretty bad 11 or 12 miles up the road, bumper to bumper traffic caused by an accident, a mobile crane had slid off the road and flipped over, gouged a 4 foot deep, approximately 30 foot long gash in the ditch, ended up with the pasenger side of the cab buried, the road is being closed from 800pm to try and get it dug out.

You can't just stick snow ploughs on buses or garbage trucks though.

As I pointed out in my post. In Canada they use the big snow ploughs for clearing stuff like Motorways. You can't have a snow plough pushing through a town center, pushing snow all onto the pavement, where there could also be people walking by.

As I said, they will typically use JCB type machines for those kind of tasks. Yes we have those, but most of them are owned by plant hire companies who again aren't going to give them out for free.

The thing is, there are lots of other ways, aside from just ploughing snow that could make peoples lives easier if winters get worse. Make winter tyres mandatory up North... carry snow chains... etc...

The advantage in Canada and USA is they don't need to push snow up onto the sidewalk/pavement because the roads are generally big enough that they dump it in the center.

England has very narrow roads in comparison so clearing any amount of snow becomes more complicated.

Run for a couple of hours? Are you kidding? it'll be fine, I don't intend on starting it until I need it.

Ok then, I know plenty of people who have had problems getting the car going in similar conditions. It's basically sat in a fridge, the snow covering plus cold air temperatures won't do it any favours.

Just been told by work that despite the fact there was no possible way to get in for the last two days they're going to be docking me two days pay. Strange as my firm isnt usually like that. Damn snow.

This is the main line from London to Maidstone/Ashford at lunchtime today, near Eynsford. It might help explain why the trains aren't running.

Are you stood on the track there or beside it? A word of advice if you plan to go again - that line is electrified to 750v DC using a third rail which could be either side of the track. The rail is still live - if you stood on it, you'd not be here now.

Even when it appears safe, please please please don't tresspass on the railway, if only for your own sake.

This was our in garden in Sheffield yesterday. Measured 20 inches on the bins.

Have had more snow today so will be re-measuring tomorrow.
5223352506_ac69ea97e6_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom