It's too hot :(

Soldato
It's the humidity not the heat... My wife (who grew up in South Africa) was always telling me that dry heat is very different feeling but I'd not experienced it until we went to the US on Honeymoon a few years ago; California but particularly Vegas and Death Valley were easily hitting 45+ degrees in the day and although yes it was really hot especially in the sun, it was very very different and nowhere near as stifling as the UK at 30 degrees

Caporegime
I just burn too easily really, that's my issue. That and we don't have air con.

Guess I overheat quickly too

Was having a chat last night. And one of my friends has this.
He says no matter what sun screen he puts on he burns in this weather. So he stays in doors.

He likes mountain biking too.

I said he should probably move to Scotland! If I liked the cold I'd have moved to Scotland rather than Wales!

Soldato
Now thats not a bad idea.

I bought this one, if you're interested. Seems pretty solidly built, it comes with a sturdy bracket that you mount to the ceiling (make sure it's solidly mounted ideally to a joist) and wire up, then you lift the fan assembly up and slide it into the bracket so it hangs from it on a rubber gimbal. I was able to install it myself in probably under an hour (although that doesn't include the time I spent trying to figure out the wiring from the old light and then giving myself a shock anyway).

So far it's been rock solid, well balanced so no vibration or noise. Beware it uses a remote to operate, but batteries aren't included.
https://www.diy.com/departments/col...hrome-effect-ceiling-fan-light/1876518_BQ.prd

It's the humidity not the heat... My wife (who grew up in South Africa) was always telling me that dry heat is very different feeling but I'd not experienced it until we went to the US on Honeymoon a few years ago; California but particularly Vegas and Death Valley were easily hitting 45+ degrees in the day and although yes it was really hot especially in the sun, it was very very different and nowhere near as stifling as the UK at 30 degrees

Absolutely. My girlfriend has a cousin in SA, we've visited a couple of times to spend a couple of weeks with them. Both times were February/March time, so during the start of their autumn. It was searingly hot outside as you'd expect, but I was struck by how it was relatively easy to escape the heat just by seeking some shade.

Man of Honour
I'm actually surprised how few people seem to like this heat. Many of my friends are not happy with it. But I absolutely love it.

Guess it's as most aren't outdoorsy

Tbf it is an overclocking/tech forum, heat is the enemy.

Personally I love it, give me a nice dry 32c with a moderate breeze all through summer.

Associate
Spent Saturday in Spitalfields... Other than the shade from inside the market we got baked heading in and out of the city. Spent yesterday in Crawley (Tilgate lake) and then some time in Horsham... My arms are many shades darker than my legs now. Warm doesn't cover it.

Associate
I grew up in Scotland where "its snowed!" meant 3-4ft deep snow when you opened your front door. I remember playing in the snow in shorts and t-shirt :p

Needless to say, I don't, and never really have, feel the cold, but I can't handle being too hot. A room temperature much more than 26-28C and I start to really struggle.

About 18 years ago I bought a portable AC unit and it's my best friend since when we get heat like this. :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Got into the home gym this morning at 10.30 for 60 minute workout before the sun comes through the log cabin windows. Was manageable shirtless with a fan on me.

Now in the home office in just my shorts with a fan trying to keep me cool :D

Soldato
Yesterday I was looking down at a quite acceptable pub garden in the blazing sun
Today I'm in Batley west Yorkshire, culture shock and a lot more cloud, why does it smell so bad up country

Screenshot-20210614-123511-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Soldato
Two rooms with portable AC in them, yes they are loud but it doesn't really bother any of us.

Probably have a look at getting proper AC installed at some point. The only down side is that now the Mrs has it set to 16 every night and I'm starting to get used to it, sitting at work everyone else is fine and I'm roasting.

Soldato
It is noticeably warmer here today, where we hadn't seen 25c+ over the last 30days today is 28c and the sea breeze has gone. It isn't humid so it is actually very pleasant out there today.

I still prefer the early May weather

sLLfDVu.png

Soldato
I bought this one, if you're interested. Seems pretty solidly built, it comes with a sturdy bracket that you mount to the ceiling (make sure it's solidly mounted ideally to a joist) and wire up, then you lift the fan assembly up and slide it into the bracket so it hangs from it on a rubber gimbal. I was able to install it myself in probably under an hour (although that doesn't include the time I spent trying to figure out the wiring from the old light and then giving myself a shock anyway).

So far it's been rock solid, well balanced so no vibration or noise. Beware it uses a remote to operate, but batteries aren't included.
https://www.diy.com/departments/col...hrome-effect-ceiling-fan-light/1876518_BQ.prd

Cheers. I was wondering about that whether it used the lighting circuit or needed a spur from the ring main

I just burn too easily really, that's my issue. That and we don't have air con.

Guess I overheat quickly too

Cover up vunerable skin if thinning on top, neck, upper arms etc. You learn this stuff if you work outside the only time I got badly burnt since I was a kid was visiting relatives last year sitting in the garden didn't have hat/long sleeved t shirt took weeks to clear up.

Flats don't allow you to fit aircon unless its all internal nothing bolted on the outside of the wall etc, right now I'm making do with a a noisy fan.

Also any tips on making the fan I bought useful instead of just blowing warm air at me like I'm using a hand dryer would be greatly appreciated

There comes a point where its simply blowing hot air in your face in which point you'll need to invest in an aircon unit portable or otherwise I've got mine on standby its even noisier than the fan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom