It's too hot :(

Associate
Lower temps from yesterday didnt persist, back up to 30c again :(

I tried playing some video games again in the morning, but quickly got too overheated and needed to stop and got back to bed with my fan blowing at me.

Completely drenched in sweat. Also had some paracetamol for my second covid jab, but it does nothing to help with the heat.

Soldato
Had enough of this now I can't wait for the weekend it's just gone over 31c in my office and still climbing

It's like there is no air to breath

Hopefully this is the last of it for this summer and it's stays below 25c

Soldato
I don't understand how do people manage to walk around the streets with masks on in this heat? I'm asthmatic and mask wearing in this heat is horrific for my lungs at the moment. Been taking my inhaler more. Been going into shops maskless as its more helpful to me.
I have ashma. I also wear a mask for 7 hours a day at work.

Associate
Have today and tomorrow off work. The serviced offices we're stuck in at the moment do not have air conditioning, the sun glares straight in through the window all afternoon and there are three people, plus PCs and a photocopier stuck in a fairly small room considering. This week I found that when I walked in at 8AM the temperature has been 27C before any equipment gets switched on, no amount of cooling fans and open windows can get that room remotely comfortable.

Home hasn't been much better. Despite keeping all curtains and blinds closed during the day the bedroom temperature is generally 29C. Lowest I've seen it all week is 25.5C first thing in the morning after the window has been open all night.

The car is no better because the air conditioning doesn't work any more (needs a lot more than a re-gas) so that is also a sweat box.

I don't mind it too much for a few days, but I'd be happier if it was clear blue skies and maybe 22C tops. Fairly warm and you can still get stuff done without feeling like you need a shower every 15 minutes. Would like a decent thunderstorm though, haven't had a decent one here for a few years now.

Soldato
Ok, air con set up and working. It is much louder than I expected.

I wonder if a quiet indoor air conditioner exists or if it just a limitation of the technology. I know the answer is to put it outdoors but they still aren't exactly silent and can annoy the neighbours. It's like heat pumps, the noisy bit goes outdoors to annoy everyone else.

Soldato
I wonder if a quiet indoor air conditioner exists or if it just a limitation of the technology. I know the answer is to put it outdoors but they still aren't exactly silent and can annoy the neighbours. It's like heat pumps, the noisy bit goes outdoors to annoy everyone else.

Even the quiet ones are noisy. There's only so quiet you can make a compressor and fans that are powerful enough to shift the air required both indoors and out.

Split systems with the external unit are a lot quieter as they can be much bigger using lower speed fans, as well as having the ability to vary the speed of the compressor.

Associate
Even the quiet ones are noisy. There's only so quiet you can make a compressor and fans that are powerful enough to shift the air required both indoors and out.

Split systems with the external unit are a lot quieter as they can be much bigger using lower speed fans, as well as having the ability to vary the speed of the compressor.

There's a huge difference between the old clunking on/off compressors and the modern inverter ones. When I have the indoor units on low demand, you genuinely cannot hear the outdoor unit until you are around 2m away from it on a quiet evening/night, then it's a faint buzzing/hum.

High demand is all just a constant whooshing of fan/wind noise, so doesn't really travel to neighbours etc

Soldato
Just nipped down the Post Office on the bike to pick up a missed parcel from yesterday and it actually rained. Sky went as black as Lenny Henry's armpit and big drops started to fall, but only for a minute or two which was disappointing. Was hoping for a drenching. Oh well.

Soldato
Well it topped out at 28c in my WFH office (my living room) today, but I didn't break a sweat. I've been avoiding physical activity, skipped my lunchtime walk and have had cold drinks only. Shorts, t shirt and flip flops, just sat at my desk doing my job.

It's roasting out there, I feel like an astronaut looking out at another planet with a hostile environment from the safety of his space station/planetary base.

Man of Honour
Those who say they genuinely don't mind this heat, I'm interested to hear at what temperature you consider it 'chilly'?
You must be putting your cost on when it drops below 18 degrees :D

Not far short, at that temp I’ll put a T-shirt on under my shirt, and if I feel that it’s warranted, I’ll wear a not very thick zip up blouson when I go out.

I don't understand how do people manage to walk around the streets with masks on in this heat? I'm asthmatic and mask wearing in this heat is horrific for my lungs at the moment. Been taking my inhaler more. Been going into shops maskless as its more helpful to me.

Far be it from to advise you, but although I’ll still wear a mask in shops or on public transportation, I don’t wear one in the street, but there again, I’m not asthmatic.

I am sad! This heat wave is coming to an end!
It was a good duration so can't complain. But already looking forward to the next one!

oGUPrIXm.jpg

Amen to that brother, you and me both!

Man of Honour
Just nipped down the Post Office on the bike to pick up a missed parcel from yesterday and it actually rained. Sky went as black as Lenny Henry's armpit and big drops started to fall, but only for a minute or two which was disappointing. Was hoping for a drenching. Oh well.

Your post didn’t bother me one iota, I found it amusing, and I was disappointed for you that you didn’t get soaked.
It was concise and you sounded like any one of my friends relating an incident to me, but it’s dollars to doughnuts that one or two soi disant woke warriors are gearing up to tell you that you were wrong to use Lenny Henry’s armpits to perfectly illustrate your tale.
I reiterate, in my eyes you did no wrong.

Soldato
Well it topped out at 28c in my WFH office (my living room) today, but I didn't break a sweat. I've been avoiding physical activity, skipped my lunchtime walk and have had cold drinks only. Shorts, t shirt and flip flops, just sat at my desk doing my job.

It's roasting out there, I feel like an astronaut looking out at another planet with a hostile environment from the safety of his space station/planetary base.

It's surprising how a small increase in temperature can make a room really uncomfortable to work in. Downstairs is at 27 / 28c which is fine, upstairs is at 30c and just nope :p

Back
Top Bottom