It's too hot :(

Permabanned
UK is one of worst places to be when its hot. The total lack of care for the AC is just astounding even when its readily available like in stores or in cabs. People just refuse to use it for some unknown to me reason. The whole attitude that public transportation does not need AC is just nuts to me. Those double deckers in heat of summer are equivalent of a sauna. The schools etc are just beyond me how can they not have Ac's when students are expected to be in class throughout majority of summer.

My final straw was when I got into black cab in London and it was over 30c outside, the dude just rolled down the windows and we were sitting in stand-still traffic. Like I just don't get it.

Even places like Harrods, very lightly AC their building like its fine but hardly pleasant after you've been outside in 30+ for hour. If you were in anything less than shorts and light shirt you'd be sweating. So you're looking at these workers in their suits dripping down sweat trying to wipe it off.

I lived in Texas, its stupidly hot in summer. However, everyone chills whatever the place is to autumn like temperatures. I agree that its not good for environment but I can't imagine working in an office or taking public transport to one in fully decked suit in these temperatures and then sitting in a sauna at office. I mean who can work like this and be productive.

Caporegime
Fingers crossed this is the case…
I’ll enjoy being able to walk places, and do things without sweating and being able to sleep at night comfortably.

Spring/autumn with clear skies and sun at about 15-17c is perfect :)

I’m the same way, that’s perfect conditions for me. Even more so after getting a dog, still see so many morons walking their pugs etc in the middle of the day at 25c+

Soldato
Temp only went down about 1.5C here, still quite hot.

27.4C room temp at 10.30pm and peaked at 28.8 at 7pm.

It was cloudy but as I predicted the forecasters got it wrong, no rain, no wind, and only small drop in temps, for some reason they always think Leicester will get the westerlies when it doesnt.

Man of Honour
My final straw was when I got into black cab in London and it was over 30c outside, the dude just rolled down the windows and we were sitting in stand-still traffic. Like I just don't get it.

Only the top of the range Black Cabs came with A/C, and then only in the driver’s compartment.
The last two that I bought as an owner driver had A/C, to have it run through to the passenger compartment was absolutely silly money, a couple of grand plus at least, don’t ask me why.
As much as the customer was always right, I wasn’t going to lay that out for five or six days per year of hot weather.
I picked an American couple up at Heathrow one hot day, and after a while the guy asked me, “Sir, can you turn up the air?”
I was just coming to the end of the M4, approaching Chiswick, and explained about the lack of A/C via the intercom.
Hoping to lighten the moment, I said tongue in cheek, “Tell you what, if you’re really suffering, you drive and I’ll get in back and tell you the way to your hotel.”
His wife said, “Are you kidding, on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the right?”

Associate
Only the top of the range Black Cabs came with A/C, and then only in the driver’s compartment.
The last two that I bought as an owner driver had A/C, to have it run through to the passenger compartment was absolutely silly money, a couple of grand plus at least, don’t ask me why.
As much as the customer was always right, I wasn’t going to lay that out for five or six days per year of hot weather.
I picked an American couple up at Heathrow one hot day, and after a while the guy asked me, “Sir, can you turn up the air?”
I was just coming to the end of the M4, approaching Chiswick, and explained about the lack of A/C via the intercom.
Hoping to lighten the moment, I said tongue in cheek, “Tell you what, if you’re really suffering, you drive and I’ll get in back and tell you the way to your hotel.”
His wife said, “Are you kidding, on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the right?”

Wait what , i never knew the AC's were split in older models. Also the wife sounds a lot like me ... slow to process jokes.

Permabanned

This was in the brand new Electric black cab. Honestly I never knew that old one did not have it and if new ones do not either - Its just peak idiocy. I’m sorry there is no excuse. It costs an arm and a leg to ride one, its black, and your moving speed hardly peaks 5mph in London. Even at 20c outside if sun is shining it gets hot.

As a tourist in shorts its whatever. But if you’re going to business meeting in full suit who wants to turn up already miserable and muggy to a high stress meeting.

The kicker is that once you do arrive, you end up in a conference room that is ALSO too hot. Its like come on people, everyone is in a suit here, why on earth the thermostat is on 26c.

Last edited:
Associate
Next couple of weeks are so uncertain, there's a lot of scatter on the ensembles but I'm favouring a NW/SE split with the more favourable and dryer conditions in the SE.

Don't think we will see an immediate return to a more zonal Atlantic driven set up just quite yet but I'm sure it's coming as we move into October, all depends on the jet!

Caporegime
Went out on my balcony late last night for a breather, came back inside, door only open as I went in and out :/

sit at the pc under the main light and hear 2 taps, look up to see what it was and there's a bloody red/black striped looking wasp sitting on the inside of my lamp shade :eek:

Didn't even know they were active at night, was sitting roasting in 28c with the windows closed cos I hate spiders, moths, wasps, bees etc :mad:

luckily had a practically empty can of raid and managed to get a few small bursts out of it before I ran to the kitchen and shut the door.

hid away like a coward for 5minues, I can still see the living room ceiling area from the kitchen behind slim glass window that try to let some extra natural light from one room to the other.
after 5 minutes I see it flying around looking like it's raging lol......

I hide away for another 5minutes and see nothing, arm my self with the empty raid can in one hand, deo spray in the other and carefully look in the living room, see nothing flying around.

find it almost dead on the floor.

erf... googled wasps after had no idea the bloody things were active 24/7 as long as their nest entrance has some light.

I'll be glad when the cold weather is here.

one of my neighbours balconies a few doors along is full of flowers :/ I think it attracts a ton of bees/wasps and hoveflies so annoying

Associate
Why does all the news, weather and papers too presume everyone wants its muggy and boiling hot all the time and then they talk about it being a cold summer, sometimes think I'm in another parallel universe where it's a lot warmer cause I've thought it's been one long heatwave all summer, certainly feels like it. September seems to of been the hottest night temperatures too up to now with very little sleep.

Trouble with Britain is majority seem to love it hot so will do little to help save the world from this catastrophe looming in the next 10, 20 years cause they are getting it nice and warm so its of no concern to them to help reverse global warming, not that this country can do anything alone its the main polluters that need to take note and alter and because it's never mentioned much really, I don't know if anyone is mentioning in these main culprits countries. I dunno how it will all end though but I certainly didn't used to dread summers like I do these days.

Soldato
Awesomly perfect, for me that is, hot sun warmish air, rain for the triffids and also a 20 second period swell on ots way from hurricane Larry, boom, happy days ect

Screenshot-20210911-193458-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Associate
When will this heatwave go, just goes on and on, Must be hottest September on record ever for us, every day its well into 20s, makes you wonder if we'll ever see cold weather again, seems like the longest summer for me ever, I know most love the warm weather but I'm the opposite, I love it cool to sleep under a duvet and wear jeans and long sleeve shirts, I've not been able to since March , I dream of those crispy winter days and grey skies but they seem to never arrive. Don't get me wrong I don't want frosts everyday just cooler than this muggy weather.

Back
Top Bottom