Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

Man of Honour
I was expecting the bets to involve himself or his team, explains the 8 month ban.

Goes beyond a gambling problem and into the realms of corruption...

Soldato
No sympathy from me. £50,000 fine he can pluck from his back pocket and he'll return to the lavish life style of a top flight footballer after an 8 month holiday. I don't think the length is harsh at all.

fez

fez

Caporegime
No sympathy from me. £50,000 fine he can pluck from his back pocket and he'll return to the lavish life style of a top flight footballer after an 8 month holiday. I don't think the length is harsh at all.

Thats largely unavoidable really. I don't know if his club could fine him massively but I doubt it. Like it or not, footballers live in a different world to the rest of us.

Caporegime
The FA have released all the details around Toney's ban:

Despite what I thought was the case, there were loads of bets involving himself and his own teams and 8 months seems lenient. He placed bets on himself to score, his team to win and although he didn't feature in any of these matches, he was betting on his own team to lose matches too. The FA were pushing for a much longer ban but the commission took into account that Toney had a gambling addiction and reduced it to 8 months.

I usually have a degree of leniency, but I agree and think Toneys got off lightly and some of his bets are a bit disgraceful

Soldato
They gave that Forest player a suspended suspension. He only betted on football a mere 375 times (that he admitted). Like most rules in that sport nowadays, there's little consistency applied.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the details were slightly different with his, he didn't bet on his team and they were much older offences. I think they've said there is more detail to come with that one too so maybe there are mitigating circumstances.

Or they just make it up as they go along, who knows.

Soldato
I think the details were slightly different with his, he didn't bet on his team and they were much older offences. I think they've said there is more detail to come with that one too so maybe there are mitigating circumstances.

Or they just make it up as they go along, who knows.
It's safe to say, one rule for some another for rule for others.

Just a bunch of corrupt *******

Soldato
Brentford will sell but it will be for big money, which is a risk if he is involved in betting again.
I don't think he'll repeat that mistake again.

The plan is for the club to keep him this window and no one seems to be able to afford him right now. I reckon he'll go in the summer to Arsenal or Chelsea, maybe even Man Utd if the new owners fancy a big buy and Hojland is still struggling.

Associate
Seems to me a bit of a gamble to buy him right now. On top of moving to a new club and getting integrated, he hasn't played for 8 months. The lead in time might be too long for him to make the difference needed at another club before the seasons up, Arsenal specifically.

Associate
I don't think he'll repeat that mistake again.

The plan is for the club to keep him this window and no one seems to be able to afford him right now. I reckon he'll go in the summer to Arsenal or Chelsea, maybe even Man Utd if the new owners fancy a big buy and Hojland is still struggling.
I heard Connor Gallagher is available for 60m which make Toney seem like a bargain.

Soldato
I heard Connor Gallagher is available for 60m which make Toney seem like a bargain.
I can see the value in a club buying Gallagher - he works hard, gets stuck in, not a bad player at all... but for £60m!! That's just an insane price.

IMO one of the big issues in Premier League football is that the clubs are simply paying too much for ok players, leaving them stumped with FFP when they genuinely need to buy talent.

The fact that Man Utd - with a turnover of hundreds upon hundreds of millions - are apparently struggling to fit in a £15m bid around FFP for the Stuttgard forward is absolutely insane. Particularly when they handed over £85m for Anthony.

The bulk of the Brentford side last season - Raya, Pinnock, Henry, Jensen, Norgaard, Janelt, Toney and Mbuemo - was assembled for ~£25m (rising to £35m with add-ons...) just goes to show how insane prices have become. Last summer it cost us £50m for Collins and Schade alone! It's nuts.

fez

fez

Caporegime
IMO one of the big issues in Premier League football is that the clubs are simply paying too much for ok players, leaving them stumped with FFP when they genuinely need to buy talent.

Its just a result of the insane money in the PL. You can **** money up the wall as long as you stay in the PL which is why clubs will spend so much on players they hope can do that.

Back
Top Bottom