I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

Soldato
OP
Plug it in to check the battery and update software, check brakes, clean it.

I expect it's short as the tech is new and the battery has a long warranty, so they're erring on the side of caution. Plus need to make some money on them.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;30441423 said:
That is an incredibly short service interval and isn't the same as any car at all. It's a fraction of the interval on the majority of cars.

Which is odd given it has no internal combustion engine so what exactly do they do with it every 8000 miles? Am I right in thinking the Tesla has no fixed interval?

they recommend a yearly or every 12500mile service.
Unlike gasoline cars, Model S requires no oil changes, fuel filter, spark plug replacements, or emission checks. As an electric car, even brake pad replacements are rare because most braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery. Our inspection instead focuses on tyre condition and alignment, replacement parts like windshield wiper blades, and software updates.
a lot of money for nothing. £375 for the first inspection where they do

Multi point inspection (w/ tyre rotation and alignment check)
Cabin air filter replacement
Wiper blade set replacement
Key fob battery replacement (set)

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/service-plans?redirect=no

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
We don't rely on energy storage in the UK, and we have no current plans to become reliant upon it. National Grid are currently testing the effectiveness of battery banks, while considering other solutions (like distributed storage).

As such, we don't need to include storage in assessments of the cost of renewables. It isn't a necessity; we can assume a baseline and ensure other sources can scale on demand. But it might be that storage does pay; that the value of the energy we are wasting during periods of low demand is worth more than the costs of storing that energy. It's a hot topic in the industry right now.

I thought we were reliant on storage systems and do indeed have them. Fast reserves they call them don't they.

Soldato
I thought we were reliant on storage systems and do indeed have them. Fast reserves they call them don't they.

Just down the road from me there is a proposal to build a "Battery bank"

Around 30 shipping containers worth of highly reactive and toxic chemicals!

As luck would have it, I am living (with the prevailing winds and all that) right under where the fallout plume of sulphuric acid and whatever will go if the balloon goes up!

Never mind, I am thinking of moving soon anyway!

:(

(Give me a Nuke any-day, we should have done what the French did, Anybody within a certain distance of a Nuclear plant got free electricity for ever)

Man of Honour
Soldato

And Yet...!

(I know its not proven by any standard, however!)

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/faulty-pho...yptair-flight-ms804-investigators-say-1600963

I still say that putting metal boxes containing hundreds of tons of molten sodium and sulphur in the middle of a residential urban area is a bit dodgy and the proposers are only getting away with it because of the "Green" credentials.

Man of Honour
again just wow,
so you hold pure speculation over official safety testing and on a different device with far less safety and brains.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was only the first smart EV that had the molten sodium batteries in car use, and its simple chemical reaction with the benefit of free cabin heat due to the exothermic reaction.

Hardly unsafe anyway and ironically appeared along nukes in Submarines....

Caporegime
Interesting approach to try and classify something as not safe by referencing a phone.

Far worse and significantly less green things are built in residential areas for which the HSE have no problem renewing the site licences.

Soldato
Lithium batteries tend to explode when compressed, so I wonder how long it will be before one explodes in a crash :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lithium batteries tend to explode when compressed, so I wonder how long it will be before one explodes in a crash :p

its already happened several times, but then car fires aren't uncommon anyway in ICE cars, 174k every year in the US alone. Its another one of those non issues people like to put up as a barrier.
Its also why tesla added a titanium shield and aluminium deflector, to reduce the chance of it happening further.

Soldato
OP
The possibility of lithium catching fire in a crash is hardly any different to any other form of fuel currently used - with perhaps the exception of diesel.

It's hardly any reason not to use them - I mean, lets face it, most of us risk a lithium battery in our trouser pockets all day long.

Soldato
It's extremely rare for petrol to catch fire in an accident and it's easily extinguished. Lithium only needs to be exposed to the air/moisture and it WILL combust and gives off poisonous fumes. But I'm sure they thought about that ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
LeafDealer.jpg

TT's Car Sales, Abbey Lane?

It's about a 15 minute walk from my house.

Associate
Big change coming my way, selling the Octavia vRS and have a new Leaf arriving on PCP in a couple of weeks.

We had the lifestyle test drive, and over the 5 days found that all the cars shortcomings would be easy to live with for what we would be using the Leaf for.

The car is also very addictive in terms of trying to better each drive.

Back
Top Bottom