I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

Soldato
£6 for 40 miles is about what it costs me in petrol for my hot hatch, maybe more actually O_o

That's because the company running them has recently started charging for them and IMO has got the model badly wrong. They used to be occupied most of the time, now whenever I stop at motorway services I take a look and they're barely used.

Charging at home costs me 3p/mile (average) for our Zoe compared to ~11p/mile for a 50mpg diesel.

Soldato
This sounds hard work, and well just awful.

Why not a high mpg diesel. Surely wouldn't cost too much extra. Mad.

It does it sounds absolutely terrible.

There are no arguments for using an electric car at the moment outside of reconciling your own environmental worries.

Here's how everyone else would have done it:

Wanted small Nissan hatchback.

Went and purchased a 2 year old 1.2 Dig-T Nissan duke for 9k

Problem solved

Soldato
OP
That ended last year. But it was never "free", they take most of the surplus energy generated as payment for like the next 20 years.
I paid no money, and get my daytime electric covered, or at least reduced. In addition, it keeps the upstairs bedrooms cooler during the summer.

Works for me.

Soldato

There are no arguments for using an electric car at the moment outside of reconciling your own environmental worries.

Problem solved

There are a few arguments. For someone like me that does low miles and has a bank of solar panels an electric car would be great. I would never have to visit a patrol station again. The time saved alone would be worth while.

Soldato

Except that as a city car (which is what we wanted) they are better. Quieter, shift the pollution outside of populated area, cheaper to run, cheaper to tax, cheaper to service with the added bonus that in the winter we set a timer and the car is deiced and toasty warm inside when we leave in the morning.

As a longer distance vehicle there are currently significant challenges to overcome as the range and charging infrastructure isn't there yet.

Soldato
OP

Problem solved
I don't like being everyone else. That's your job (collectively) ;)

Man of Honour
That ended last year. But it was never "free", they take most of the surplus energy generated as payment for like the next 20 years.

it hasn't ended, they don't cost anywhere near 10k etc. where are you getting this stuff from. The old feed in tariff ended and a new feed in tariff started, which pays less, but then panels cost less.
whens the last time you had a power cut that lasted more than a few minutes?

Caporegime
I don't like being everyone else. That's your job (collectively) ;)

There is no point doing something differently just to be different. Only do something differently if it will be better.

I think electric cars like the leaf have their place (for people who have short commutes and hardly do any long journeys). However, it should be completely discounted for a weekly 90 mile each way commute.

Soldato
o.uk/Leaf/Charge4.jpg[/IMG]
However, in some ways, the car IS a huge disappointment. When driven normally - ie without caring about heat, performance etc, the range is probably around 50 miles. 24kw is simply not enough battery. 30kw isn't either. To be a viable proper alternative, I'd say at least 50kw is necessary, maybe even more. If the new 30kw model of Leaf is £1600 more than the 24kw, they should do a 50kw and charge £7000 more.

Bear in mind, that allowing for a 25% thermal efficiency. A 50L tank of hydrocarbon is nearer to the equivalent of 200KWhr.

Internal combustion engines using a hydrocarbon fuel are going to be a very hard act for EV's to even get close to, let alone beat!

Soldato

A friend of mine bought one for his wife. She's a nurse and could never get parked at the hospital as there weren't enough bays. She now parks for free in one of their "electric vehicles only" bays. The hospital where she works is in her home town and she rarely goes out of town in the car. Her usage is almost entirely made up of stop/start urban driving is the kind that returns the worst mpg of a vehicle.

There are valid reasons to choose one. Face it, some people just fit into the mould. The rest of us, however, are a different kettle of fish.

Soldato
OP
Bear in mind, that allowing for a 25% thermal efficiency. A 50L tank of hydrocarbon is nearer to the equivalent of 200KWhr.

Internal combustion engines using a hydrocarbon fuel are going to be a very hard act for EV's to even get close to, let alone beat!

No, but a 200 mile range is a lot more palatable.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Well done embracing Electric motoring. My mother just got new Leaf and is getting solar panels fitted soon. She is also my plan B for my commute in the i3 BEV I got 2 weeks ago:D
Could you post a write-up in the BMW thread when you have time? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the i3!

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I can't see that happening for a few reasons. The infrastructure to remove a major component and have a lot of them charged and stored ready to go will demand a lot of space and money to be invested. Also as rechargeable batteries degrade over time how would you feel in your brand new electric vehicle to stop and have its battery pack swapped for a five year old unit?

Tesla tried this for a while, their Battery Swap thing - but customers preferred the Superchargers.

https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event

Caporegime
A driver at work has recently changed his Micra for a Leaf, he lives locally but already has had a few no shows at his shift start time due to running out of charge in heavy traffic.

I wouldn't want to use one of these for any kind of distance use, not if his experience is anything to go by!

I'll watch this thread (assuming you keep us updated) with interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom