I've gone Bavarian! 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Caporegime
wdUlszx.jpg

Having had various 'mass market' cars over the years, varying from a Volvo 340, Rover 214i, Peugeot 306 GTI-6 and a Seat Leon Cupra 180 as well as my last car, a Mk.3 Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost 182 I'd never gone fully German, although some would say the Seat is German in a Spanish frock. That is until now.

A Parental offer of a fat wedge after one of their investments matured together with £2.5k in the bank and £4k in my Focus put me on the hunt for something a little bit up market. First I was looking at Renaultsport Megane's but I test drove one and it didn't really feel special enough, although the test drive was limited due to traffic and a stern warning not to exceed 50MPH on the trade plates! I even considered a Lexus ISF but figured perhaps a 5L V8 might be pushing the boat out a little bit far, although apparently they're ultra reliable with only one or two major issues, likely to have been fixed by now. Maybe next time!

I'd always liked the BMW 4 series and the Gran Coupe especially. I actually think the GC looks better proportioned than the standard 3 door coupé. I test drove a BMW AUC manual 420i Auto and it certainly gave me that prestige feeling I was after but I was also after a step up in performance which, compared to my Focus 182 just wasn't there in the 420i. I then test drive a standard Coupe 428i Auto which scratched the itch much more, but I still wanted a GC so the search was on for a 428i GC Auto in M Sport guise. And, it turned out, they're like rocking horse ****. There were three in the country in my price range when I first looked on Autotrader! One had 88,000 miles (no thanks, that was more than my 2012 Focus!), one was a Cat S which, after paying for a VCheck was flood damage. I doubt the car and electrics would ever be right again TBH so avoided that like a Home England game after the pubs have been open for 10 hours on a warm summers day. The third was a Luxury version and I had my heart set on a M Sport.

Three weeks later this one popped up in Ipswich at Hammond Cars. I'm, lets just say, very not in Ipswich. There was another in South Wales too which was £1k cheaper but had 7k more miles. A quick discussion about the price via email, both for trade in and the price for the car itself and a deal was struck. £17,750, down from £18k on the button, £4,250 for my car sight unseen but it was well looked after, 4 good Continental Premium Contact tyres, recently serviced in April, new Battery in May, even brand new floor mats all round earlier this year too and MOT end of September and on arrival they honoured my price.

Everyone was happy, deposit paid and I drove down last Friday. I left Central Scotland at 8AM, down the M74 then across the A66 which, in hindsight was an error. Traffic was a nightmare on this section and there were quite a few roadworks on the A1M as well but I got to Ipswich just after 4pm. Quick look round the car, exactly as described and utterly spotless. paperwork signed, money transferred via phone app and I left there about 5pm.

Filled up at the Asda just round the corner, a small disaster, the tether for the fuel cap snapped in two. Not a huge issue and nothing I was going back to the dealer to complain about, the cap still sits in it's resting place on the fuel door so no harm done. It was likely softened over the years by Petrol fumes and is a cheap(ish) replacement.

I didn't count the mileage as the long run home isn't really my typical use and the car took nearly £60 to brim so clearly a much bigger tank than my Focus. I decided to follow the A14 across the Midlands and hit the M6 instead of back up the A1M with all the roadworks. I've been up and down the M6 dozens of times so know the road well. The car performed faultlessly as you'd expect. The seats gripped me in places I wasn't used to and I had to play around with the seat and wheel a little as the journey up I felt I was 'hanging on' to the wheel rather than holding on to it. The Cruise Control was put to good use and actually being able to play music through the car from my phone was a revelation!

I arrived back at 1:20AM having, er, done the speed limit all the way up the M6 in case any police are reading. Traffic at that time of night was mostly trucks so it made for easy progress. The 8 speed auto gearbox is a revelation, 70MPH was only 1,900 RPM compared to about 2,600rpm in my Focus. It even did a very impressive 46MPG.

Anyway, I've filled up once since then but hardly been anywhere, my parents and the shops so only about 15 miles since that fill up. It's a car I plan to keep for a good while, 5 years at least so I'll try and keep this thread up to date. I noticed there were a few 4 series GC threads started on Pistonheads but they all petered out after a year or so, perhaps they were leases or got sold on. Anyway, last fill up was £58.51, 45.39 Litres at 128.9 per litre and at 30,917 miles. I added around 500 miles in eight hours!

Caporegime
OP
I had a Volvo 360 for my first car. Was absolutely terrible but I have many great memories from it. 21 years later and it's still the most discussed car amongst my friends mainly for how bad it was!

Anyway, nice bimmer. Far better than a 340 :cry:
Mine was quite tail happy, seemed to weigh two tons and wobbled for nearly a whole minute if you did get the tail out. It had leaf spring suspension! Mine also had an appetite for alternators and needed it’s third in four years when I traded it in. G795NNS has long since departed us I’m sure.

Caporegime
OP
So what's the spec and interior on this, from the outside it looks like black on black, but I guess it could have contrast stitching?
Black on black is correct. They’re so rare I couldn’t really afford to be choosy. I don’t even think it has contrast stitching! I’ll try and get some interior pictures but the metal accents inside prevent it being too gloomy inside.

Found. Spec checker by VIN:

Options
Get a detailed car report instantly! Detaillierte Fahrzeughistorie überprüfen!
1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles Selektion Cop Relevanter Fahrzeuge
230 Eu Specific Additional Equipment Eu Spezifische Zusatzumfaenge
258 Runflat Tyres Bereifung Mit Notlaufeigenschaften
2PA Locking Wheel Bolts Radschraubensicherung
2PE 18"m Lt/aly Wheels Star Sp. 400m/mt 18"m Lm Raeder Sternsp.400 M/mb
2TB Sport Automatic Transmission Sport-automatik Getriebe
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator Reifendruckanzeige
302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
316 Automatic Tailgate Operation Automatische Heckklappenbetaetigung
337 M Sport Package M Sportpaket
3AG Backup Camera Rueckfahrkamera
420 Sun Protection Glazing Sonnenschutzverglasung
423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
428 Warning Triangle Warndreieck
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger Sitzheizung Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
4NE Blow-by-heater Blow-by-heizer
4WG Int. T. Fin. Alu.hex.w. H.t.f.bl.h- Int.leist. Alu. Hex. M.akzent.schw.
502 Headlight Washer System Scheinwerfer-waschanlage
508 Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)
521 Rain Sensor Regensensor
522 Xenon Light Xenon-licht
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
544 Cruise Control With Braking Function Geschwindigkeitsregel. Mit Bremsf.
563 Lights Package Lichtpaket
575 Additional 12v Power Socket Zusaetzliche 12-v-steckdose
5DA Passenger Airbag Deactivate Beifahrerairbag-deaktivierung
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
698 Area-code 2 Area-code 2
6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services Remote Services
6NH Hands-free Facility W. Usb Interfac Freisprechein. M. Usb-schnittstelle
6WA Instrument Cluster W. Extended Cont Instrumentenkombi. M. Erw. Umf.
704 M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk
710 M Leather Steering Wheel M Lederlenkrad
715 M Aerodynamics Package M Aerodynamikpaket
760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome Individual Hochglanz Shadow Line
775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit
812 England Version England/irland Ausfuehrung
850 Add Fuel Tank Filling For Export Zusaetzl. Tankfuellung Export
853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
880 English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur
8KA Oelservice Int. 30.000 Km/24 Months Oelwartungsint. 30.000km/24monate
8S2 Coding Of Alarm Signal Kodierung Alarmsignal
8S3 Automatic Lock When Driving Away Autom. Verriegelung Beim Anfahren
8SM Vin, Visible From Outside Fahrgestellnummer,v.aussen Sichtbar
8TG Anti-theft System Diebstahlsicherung
9AA External Skin Protection Aussenhautschutz

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Life with a modern BMW can be kind of dull. Absolutely nothing of note has happened or gone wrong. I had to put more air into the rear tyres once to satisfy the OBC and it's over zealous monitors. I've filled up the screen wash a couple of times but other than that it's been faultless. MOT time on Thursday but I'm not expecting anything untoward at all.

Average fuel consumption has been 30.344MPG and with the price of Petrol life with a 2.0 Turbo is proving expensive (to me at least!) at £141 spent last month. The Shift to E10 and the subsequent loss in MPG doesn't help. It's due a service in March but I may stretch that out a little, I've only done 5 thousand miles since I bought it and about 10% of that was the journey from picking it up and driving it home.

Caporegime
OP
What is the value in doing that? If it's been 2 years since the last one it needs another regardless of mileage. Time can be just as harsh on a car as miles, if not more so in many cases.
Yeah was thinking just in April, not in September or anything! We’ll see.

Oh I have a dashcam to wire in as well.

Caporegime
OP
Just seems completely counter productive - why deliberately do a service late? I don't really understand what you gain by doing it, in return you'll end up with a late service in the history which may or may not cause issues in the future.

Yea, I think I'd prioritise 'servicing my car' over 'fitting cameras to it' :D
Very true.

Caporegime
OP
Unless you’re finding money a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn’t personally extend it by a month - it doesn’t really make any notable difference to do so.

Ultimately, you’ll still have to get it serviced, but all that’ll show up is that you didn’t do it on time (if it’s a service which is logged on the iDrive, as opposed to an oil change).

Definitely worth doing in my opinion, if just for peace of mind.

How are you finding the car in general though?

I’m really missing petrol from a noise perspective, but I really like the drivability from the diesel. It pulls so hard so low down, and makes it a very lazy feel.

Averaging 43 mpg at the moment, which doesn’t seem amazing for a 320d xdrive, and I don’t get more than 48 on a long run.

Though, many turbocharged petrols have similar low down pull these days, and I haven’t spent enough time in a higher end petrol to say either way.
Still have some bother on a long drive with my right ankle if I can’t use the cruise control. So I use it a lot. Noise wise it’s not that impressive really, you only really hear it when you stretch the engine out even with the second exhaust flap set to be always open. Other than that it’s been great. The M Sport suspension isn’t too harsh unless there’s a really big pothole I didn’t see. Compared to other cars I’ve had the sidewalls on this are much smaller but I know where most of the big ones are locally and to avoid them! Like most people I wouldn’t mind if it were a bit more economical!

Caporegime
OP
what do you get on 60-70mph run ? into the 40's - or, not enough data,
in consolation if you had a 420i probably wouldn't have increased much.
On the long motorway run up the M6 and onto the M74 and M8 after collecting it from Ipswich I got 46mpg. That’s very much an outlier to my usual usage. I take my laddie to work in the morning, a bit stop start and only three or four miles then a longer run twice a week. I could probably eek out another few MPG if I was more gentle on the gas I’m sure.

Caporegime
OP
My 420i XDrive is averaging about 35mpg if that's any help?

Also mine is due a service next month or next 16k odd miles. Seems a bit pointless having a service when it's so many miles of off that, but guess I have no choice!
That’s what I was saying, it’s March 2022 or 13,000 miles!

Caporegime
OP
Mine is still on the Pirelli fun flats and they seem to have a fair bit of life left but will likely change them for standard tyres when they need done.

Caporegime
OP
Even my dear old mum, 74 yesterday commented a few weeks ago how smooth the ride was after picking her up from the airport. The road was very smooth though!

Back
Top Bottom