I've gone Bavarian! 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Caporegime
OP
What is the value in doing that? If it's been 2 years since the last one it needs another regardless of mileage. Time can be just as harsh on a car as miles, if not more so in many cases.
Yeah was thinking just in April, not in September or anything! We’ll see.

Oh I have a dashcam to wire in as well.

Man of Honour
Yeah was thinking just in April, not in September or anything! We’ll see.

Just seems completely counter productive - why deliberately do a service late? I don't really understand what you gain by doing it, in return you'll end up with a late service in the history which may or may not cause issues in the future.

Oh I have a dashcam to wire in as well.

Yea, I think I'd prioritise 'servicing my car' over 'fitting cameras to it' :D

Caporegime
OP
Just seems completely counter productive - why deliberately do a service late? I don't really understand what you gain by doing it, in return you'll end up with a late service in the history which may or may not cause issues in the future.

Yea, I think I'd prioritise 'servicing my car' over 'fitting cameras to it' :D
Very true.

Soldato
Unless you’re finding money a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn’t personally extend it by a month - it doesn’t really make any notable difference to do so.

Ultimately, you’ll still have to get it serviced, but all that’ll show up is that you didn’t do it on time (if it’s a service which is logged on the iDrive, as opposed to an oil change).

Definitely worth doing in my opinion, if just for peace of mind.

How are you finding the car in general though?

I’m really missing petrol from a noise perspective, but I really like the drivability from the diesel. It pulls so hard so low down, and makes it a very lazy feel.

Averaging 43 mpg at the moment, which doesn’t seem amazing for a 320d xdrive, and I don’t get more than 48 on a long run.

Though, many turbocharged petrols have similar low down pull these days, and I haven’t spent enough time in a higher end petrol to say either way.

Caporegime
OP
Unless you’re finding money a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn’t personally extend it by a month - it doesn’t really make any notable difference to do so.

Ultimately, you’ll still have to get it serviced, but all that’ll show up is that you didn’t do it on time (if it’s a service which is logged on the iDrive, as opposed to an oil change).

Definitely worth doing in my opinion, if just for peace of mind.

How are you finding the car in general though?

I’m really missing petrol from a noise perspective, but I really like the drivability from the diesel. It pulls so hard so low down, and makes it a very lazy feel.

Averaging 43 mpg at the moment, which doesn’t seem amazing for a 320d xdrive, and I don’t get more than 48 on a long run.

Though, many turbocharged petrols have similar low down pull these days, and I haven’t spent enough time in a higher end petrol to say either way.
Still have some bother on a long drive with my right ankle if I can’t use the cruise control. So I use it a lot. Noise wise it’s not that impressive really, you only really hear it when you stretch the engine out even with the second exhaust flap set to be always open. Other than that it’s been great. The M Sport suspension isn’t too harsh unless there’s a really big pothole I didn’t see. Compared to other cars I’ve had the sidewalls on this are much smaller but I know where most of the big ones are locally and to avoid them! Like most people I wouldn’t mind if it were a bit more economical!

Soldato
what do you get on 60-70mph run ? into the 40's - or, not enough data,
in consolation if you had a 420i probably wouldn't have increased much.

Caporegime
OP
what do you get on 60-70mph run ? into the 40's - or, not enough data,
in consolation if you had a 420i probably wouldn't have increased much.
On the long motorway run up the M6 and onto the M74 and M8 after collecting it from Ipswich I got 46mpg. That’s very much an outlier to my usual usage. I take my laddie to work in the morning, a bit stop start and only three or four miles then a longer run twice a week. I could probably eek out another few MPG if I was more gentle on the gas I’m sure.

Soldato

Definitely worth doing in my opinion, if just for peace of min

My 420i XDrive is averaging about 35mpg if that's any help?

Also mine is due a service next month or next 16k odd miles. Seems a bit pointless having a service when it's so many miles off of that, but guess I have no choice!

Soldato
All scheduled oil services are recorded in iDrive.

Scheduled, yes, but some people choose to do interim oil changes if higher mileage/just maintenance - I wouldn’t have thought OP would be, but it might be valid for someone else :)

To be fair it is 4 wheel drive..

True, but it’s a little annoying when I hear of newer petrol 3 series getting not far off that on a run :p

I always feel “dirty” in a diesel :D

Caporegime
OP
My 420i XDrive is averaging about 35mpg if that's any help?

Also mine is due a service next month or next 16k odd miles. Seems a bit pointless having a service when it's so many miles of off that, but guess I have no choice!
That’s what I was saying, it’s March 2022 or 13,000 miles!

Soldato
Also mine is due a service next month or next 16k odd miles. Seems a bit pointless having a service when it's so many miles of off that, but guess I have no choice!

Mine is this month, or in 8k miles from memory.

The approach I take is that it could highlight something going wrong, allowing me to catch it before it becomes a replacement rather than repair.

If I purely did it based on mileage, I may miss it until it’s too late.

Soldato
Still have some bother on a long drive with my right ankle if I can’t use the cruise control. So I use it a lot. Noise wise it’s not that impressive really, you only really hear it when you stretch the engine out even with the second exhaust flap set to be always open. Other than that it’s been great. The M Sport suspension isn’t too harsh unless there’s a really big pothole I didn’t see. Compared to other cars I’ve had the sidewalls on this are much smaller but I know where most of the big ones are locally and to avoid them! Like most people I wouldn’t mind if it were a bit more economical!

The suspension is one area where I haven’t been as impressed as I thought I would be. However:

It’s an xdrive
It’s on run flat

But it’s really quite firm, and bouncy on rubbish roads.

But I don’t drive it enough on these roads for it to bother me - ultimately I came from a fiesta with 17 inch wheels (so super low profile for the tyre size) and lowered suspension relative to the standard setup (it was the sportier model)

That thing was well harsh - so it’s all relative.

I can see what you mean about the sound, however it isn’t the lack of good sound I miss, but rather the addition of tractor sound which annoys me :D

I’ve also got a rattle on my air box pipe which I need to sort. At low RPM it resonates terrible and exaggerated the diesel rattle :o It’s just a little tricky to get to.

Essentially, the pipe doesn’t fit properly, so there’s more wiggle room than there should be.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067269

Soldato
The suspension is one area where I haven’t been as impressed as I thought I would be. However:

It’s an xdrive
It’s on run flat

But it’s really quite firm, and bouncy on rubbish roads.

But I don’t drive it enough on these roads for it to bother me - ultimately I came from a fiesta with 17 inch wheels (so super low profile for the tyre size) and lowered suspension relative to the standard setup (it was the sportier model)

That thing was well harsh - so it’s all relative.

I can see what you mean about the sound, however it isn’t the lack of good sound I miss, but rather the addition of tractor sound which annoys me :D

I’ve also got a rattle on my air box pipe which I need to sort. At low RPM it resonates terrible and exaggerated the diesel rattle :o It’s just a little tricky to get to.

Essentially, the pipe doesn’t fit properly, so there’s more wiggle room than there should be.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067269
The ride on my xDrive is significantly better than the ride on my old TT Quattro black edition so I've been very happy with it :p

Caporegime
OP
Mine is still on the Pirelli fun flats and they seem to have a fair bit of life left but will likely change them for standard tyres when they need done.

Soldato
There you go then. the xDrive on the F30 removes M Sport suspension.

I really don't understand why people pick xDrive out of choice. It can't be for snow performance if you're still running it on the UHP Runflats.

No need to be snarky :)

I’m entirely aware why the suspension isn’t as good as it could be, and I didn’t opt for xdrive as a preference - I bought the car for about 4K less than it would have cost me from a garage, since I bought it from a family member :)

Though, the xdrive does help with the wetter, more slippery conditions. Not compared to winter tyres, but I don’t have winter tyres, nor are there many BMW approved options for the car.

Back
Top Bottom