IX formula + 8pack 5ghz 7700k overclocking

Associate
Hey guys. Just finished my new computer

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/thermaltake-p5-build.18773436/

EK blocks and fluid temps of 29 degrees c under load with fans at half power. Idle cpu temps are low 30s.

I followed der8auers guide on YouTube to get the oc started.

I seem to have a stable 5ghz at 1.34v but I'm not sure about my temps and I cannot seem to get 5.1ghz even at 1.39v with prime95 non avx.

Real temps are currently: 81 70 65 66

But there was a point it randomly showed higher temps. The max were: 100 72 94 68

Which worries me a lot.

It's been many years since I overclocked anything so I'm basically learning from scratch again but if appreciate all thoughts on current temps and the erroneous high temps and if there may be a setting I don't have right that would allow me to maybe hit 5.1ghz

Cheers

Soldato
Would suggest checking out the overclock 7700k thread. Lots of good information in there regarding overclocking and reported temps.

EDIT: I noticed the huge difference between your cores, this might suggest either poor contact on the IHS or external heatsink. You definitely want them closer together.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would suggest checking out the overclock 7700k thread. Lots of good information in there regarding overclocking and reported temps.

EDIT: I noticed the huge difference between your cores, this might suggest either poor contact on the IHS or external heatsink. You definitely want them closer together.

*edit* obviously I repasted and all the ek screws were wound home as it says in the instructions

Thanks for the info. I think the heat sink is ok because I had to change the orientation and the coverage of paste was good. I wouldn't like to have to disconnect all the pipework again if I don't have too but last night I successfully completed a prime 95 run at 5ghz with most cores at 65 degrees and core one at 70.

Ill fire it up again for a wee while and post my results and I will have a look over that thread more thoroughly thanks mate

Associate
I am around 55-60degC on prime95. Running 5.1 @ 1.34v

I also delidded my 7700k which made a difference of 10-20degC depending on the core.

When my GPU's are idle the system manages the 7700k temps really well.

Soldato
Might be worthwhile trying another program to measure temps to check its not software related.

NB: I'm delidding and installing my 7700k on Friday with custom water so I'll let you know how I get on. Build thread is in sig..

Associate
OP
I am around 55-60degC on prime95. Running 5.1 @ 1.34v

I also delidded my 7700k which made a difference of 10-20degC depending on the core.

When my GPU's are idle the system manages the 7700k temps really well.

Might be worthwhile trying another program to measure temps to check its not software related.

NB: I'm delidding and installing my 7700k on Friday with custom water so I'll let you know how I get on. Build thread is in sig..

Cheers guys.

I deleted the version of prime with avx because even at stock it was putting temps over 90. I think it may be ok temps wise on normal prime95 at about 65 to 70 a core

Associate
just delidded mine and used conductanaut under the IHS. most nervy thing i have ever done considering the 300+ quid risk. It's reduced my temps by 20-30c across the cores. depending on load tool used. realbench maxing at about 62 degrees instead of peaking at 90. well worth the kit to do it and jangled nerves!

Ste

Ste

Soldato
The 8 pack one will already be delid.

On custome water there is something wrong there. Particularly the spread. First step I would try redoing the TIM.

Back
Top Bottom